Your Favorite RPG(s)?

Lathspell

Oh ok now I get it :)

Well personally I treat "cRpgs" and aRpgs completly different.
What cRpgs lack, aRpgs often make up for and vice versa. As an example, I'm currently playing BG2, IWD2 and NWN2, all 3 of those games got really deep character customisation, a good story and content rich world, however, the combat is kinda dull. The games in infinity engine are pretty much point and click combat, and NWN is either point and click or MMO like with forced keyboard turning and no 1,2,3 spamming. In other words, even generic MMORPGs have more exiting combat, and when I get bored of it I play TOEE, Divinity1 or Diablo2, the combat is still kinda simple, but a bit more fun, but the story ain't as good. And so I move forth and back depending on what I feel for.
there are some games with good balance between story and gameplay, combat and engines like Fallout 3, and NV, morrowind, Oblivion, and others, but you put in a nice way

Komuflage

Insider
I hate the combat in the tes games, and new fallouts :p Frankly I think it's even more boring than the old Infinity games. However there sure is some games that manage do balance it very well, Alan wake, and The last of us, being two recent examples. They both have really good stories and the gameplay is fun enough to being able to play through the game in one go. (Although due to the length of the game, I'll probably spread it out over a few days :p)

Lathspell

I hate the combat in the tes games, and new fallouts :p Frankly I think it's even more boring than the old Infinity games. However there sure is some games that manage do balance it very well, Alan wake, and The last of us, being two recent examples. They both have really good stories and the gameplay is fun enough to being able to play through the game in one go. (Although due to the length of the game, I'll probably spread it out over a few days :p)
maybe I'll check one of those games never heard of them, as long as I can play them with a crappy computer

Luze Crosszeria

Supporter
Oh ok now I get it :)

Well personally I treat "cRpgs" and aRpgs completly different.
What cRpgs lack, aRpgs often make up for and vice versa. As an example, I'm currently playing BG2, IWD2 and NWN2, all 3 of those games got really deep character customisation, a good story and content rich world, however, the combat is kinda dull. The games in infinity engine are pretty much point and click combat, and NWN is either point and click or MMO like with forced keyboard turning and no 1,2,3 spamming. In other words, even generic MMORPGs have more exiting combat, and when I get bored of it I play TOEE, Divinity1 or Diablo2, the combat is still kinda simple, but a bit more fun, but the story ain't as good. And so I move forth and back depending on what I feel for.
You are so cute when you are talking. :oops:

BrecMadak

Insider
Wow, I thought I've written mine;

- Fallout 1&2
- Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
- Dark Souls: Prepare to Die
- Ultima Online: Renaissance
- Diablo I (arpg)

===============

There are few glitches going on board lately, eventhough I did not link and only c/p while making the list, it added the links where it was copied from. On top of that despite there doesn't seem any link in edit screen it still persist to protect those links within..

Luze Crosszeria

Supporter
It's crazy how nobody here knows about this game, definitely one of the best games to ever be made. Actually took skill to be good at this game.
Well, not nobody - I have played it. Pretty hardcore, especially with mage :) Nice game, but everyone have their own preferences :) Not the best for me, not even close :)

Avramovic

Supporter
ARPG's and (classic) RPG's:

TES 3: Morrowind
Neverwinter Nights 1, 2
Icewind Dale 2 (haven't played 1, sadly)
Knights of the Old Republic 1, 2
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura
Fallout 1, 2, Brotherhood Of Steel (didn't play anything Bethesda released)
Gothic 2, 3
Temple of Elemental Evil
TES 5: Skyrim
The Witcher 1, 2

Has anyone tried Divinity: Original Sin? My understanding is it's reminiscent of the original NWN's (not the MMO) but without the possibility of persistent multiplayer worlds.

Gusmil

Insider
Has anyone tried Divinity: Original Sin? My understanding is it's reminiscent of the original NWN's (not the MMO) but without the possibility of persistent multiplayer worlds.
Divinity is the franchise of Divinity. Its a great indie game, that I can highly recommend. But that it reminiscent of the original nwns... Not really, ofc there will be similar stuff. But you have more freedom in your choices in this game. But sure you have a squad of 2-4 people. But there is little need of Warrior, mage, thief and cleric setup thats nwn is so fond of. Also, the combat is turn based, which I cant recall the original nwn had in it. It's also not as grim as nwn setting, instead it will poke fun at itself serval times, in a good way.
But I do recommend it just as much I would recommend replaying nwn titles in general.

Vold

Insider
Favourite RPG: NWN 1.

About Divinity Original Sin:
I played Divinity: Original Sin and I enjoyed it a lot, specially the story, combat style, environment, music, and the interaction between the principal characters. It is a good game, but it has some aspects that I disliked a lot: The itemization (diablo-style), a few immersion killing dialogs(in-game reference to other larian games), Tenebrium implementation (It screwed my builds), difficulty level, companions/mercenaries; and to a lesser extent, the gameplay mechanics (Not as complex as I expected them to be). Nevertheless, I am pretty sure that larian and the modding community will polish the game and will take it to the next level, at least that's what I hope.

Last edited:
Divinity is the franchise of Divinity. Its a great indie game, that I can highly recommend. But that it reminiscent of the original nwns... Not really, ofc there will be similar stuff. But you have more freedom in your choices in this game. But sure you have a squad of 2-4 people. But there is little need of Warrior, mage, thief and cleric setup thats nwn is so fond of. Also, the combat is turn based, which I cant recall the original nwn had in it. It's also not as grim as nwn setting, instead it will poke fun at itself serval times, in a good way.
But I do recommend it just as much I would recommend replaying nwn titles in general.
I'm aware it is its own franchise; hence, "reminiscent of...". ;)
NWN 1 & 2 technically have turn based combat, but it goes so fast it doesn't even look like it. SWTOR 1 & 2 did as well in the die rolls.

Technicality aside, I'm glad to hear it was good, Ive been thinking of picking it up when I get paid, provided bills don't get in the way.

So has anyone made any custom campaigns? I heard there's a toolset, and a fair amount of players. I can only hope those able with the toolset can create something fun in terms of re-playability. Thanks for the insight though!

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.