New Public Video

kiario

Insider
Proud to be a backer when I see the progress. Looks exciting. Some observatons:
1. Weapon impact missing on player when hit. Like when the axe hits the character it should stutter. Also, in one scene the axe hits the head and back with no damage marks. If a axe hits to te head you should be heavily damaged and suffer penalties.
2. Looks like the player is floatng in the air when running.
3. Would perhaop be better if tere is seamless screens when entereing dungeon/houses.
4. Too little blood :)

Otherwise looking very promising.

BRAnders

Tom

Insider
Wow. Me = blown away. It's actually here. Good God. Just like someone on YouTube said, this is pre-Alpha! Pre-alpha! Makes me excited about the alpha itself, and drool for the beta.

Graphics - No words can describe the awesomeness. The waves on the shore were of particular beauty.

Animation - I don't have access to the insider videos, so this is the first time since the Kickstarter video that I got to see the fight animations. So much better. So much smoother.

The drag-and-drop system for picking items or putting them down looks perfect. I take back all my concerns about this. All of them.

Combat - I saw the blue bar for mana (standard), and a yellow bar for health, or at least that's how I understood it. When the pc is fighting the guard about 8:00, I see he loses the yellow bar when hit, and begins to get a small red bar on the right. Does this mean that the yellow is "stamina", and the red is actually damage?

Also, is it me or is the pc in that same fight unable to parry halberd attacks?

Magic - The blink magic reminded me of Dishonored. Will it actually let players teleport to far away places in the actual game? It seems a bit overpowered from my point of view. The use of it in combat was very cool.

Music - Beautiful.

Sound - Great.

Only nitpick - running animation needs tweaking. But, again, pre-alpha.

Finally, what the heck was that weird sound at the very end of the video? o_O

Fresh

Insider
Really pleased with the outcome, there was some surpises in there that I wasn't expecting - like the chair collision, disguise and stealth/teleportation ability. All good things, but my concern is (mentioned this in the insider forum as well) that the stealth/teleportation ability is a bit overpowered. Dosn't look like the magic bar goes down that much when using the ability. And in one scenario could you just drop a group of guards from a castle tower and skip the whole battle? Seems to be a very easy way out. And can the player teleport away from a fight or is he/she locked down to the fight? The player in the video only got a brief advantage from the stealth ability and didn't seem to try to escape using the teleportation.

The music is incredible, really good work. Goes hand in hand with the gameplay. The graphics are as always amazing. Really like the look of water and landscape. The only thing that might need work is the running emotion, but I read that you are still working on that. Can't wait to get my hands on the game.

When Kieran say "The game is now very stable, the perfomance is solid and we removed every glitch we could find." I'm starting to get my hopes up for a alpha very soon. But I won't get my hopes too high.

lvk

Insider
THIS is pre-alpha? I'll have to spend the rest of the day collecting my thoughts before I can actually say something meaningful. It's looking absolutely great already.

After having watched the whole video, the only thing that's come to mind so far is that I'm pretty sure I'll have to upgrade my pledge one more time.

Also, to all concerned with the teleportation leading to skipping over parts of the game, keep in mind that there's no such thing as skipping in SG as we know it - you as a player getting any amount of story is now your responsibility, as opposed to traditional RPGs where backtracking and talking to absolutely everyone is a necessity and a chore.

Even if it could use some balancing (keep pre-alpha in mind), I only see it as overpowered because we have become so used to the idea of backtracking and going everywhere a game wants us to.

Last edited:

Komuflage

Insider
OMG!!!! I'm so excited!!

(Editing once I watched the video)

Was uploaded 1am (in my country) went to bed 12:50am.

I love how many hits that guard at 08:00 took before he went down.
Seems like they do want armour to be effective, and he was only wearing maille (except for the helmet)

messiah

Supporter
I like every bit of this video. Except the running animation is a bit weird, character legs are stretched out too much (movement speed doesn't match). Very great work!

Yup, great video overall.
Rather impressive.

Still, I, personally, am quite relieved to see a guard in maille being very resistant to a sword.
And it's not even plate, except for the helmet. There might be hope for a somewhat realistic approach to armour yet. Hooray!

Rob

Absolutely fantastic! Well worth the wait!!! :D

It's great to see it all come together, combining different things from the updates into one video.

I'm really pleased that a lot of the comments and ideas that were discussed during the Kickstarter campaign have been appropriately considered. As promised, we've got climbing up environmental objects (2:45), falling over objects (5:18), and balancing nicely on objects rather than standing unnaturally on them (5:34). :)

It's great to see some new thaumaturgic powers in action! And the music is super, being perfectly in place in the setting!

Now I really can't wait to get my hands on it in the alpha! Can't wait to see it at 60fps... I think maybe the 30fps cap on the video didn't play nicely with the motion blur. But when the camera was static the graphical detail looked absolutely impeccable! Almost all of the time, that is - inside the cave seemed to have the lowest texture detail to me (...going to have to wait for the alpha to critique properly!!!).

I noticed that there are no status bars for the opponents... are they intended for future, or are they purposefully excluded? It seems quite difficult to have any idea how close the enemy is to dying.

As others have mentioned above, the animation obviously needs a bit more work. It's been mentioned in the past that there are intentions to bring a pro-animator in to do the final cuts - is there any news on the intended timeframe for that?

Thank you so much for the video!!! Fantastic work!!! :D

Empire²

Insider
Oh dear, this is absolutely fantastic!

I was most amazed by all the historical detail in the city/castle environment, and the new power that hasn't been shown before. Not to mention the fact the player tripped over a chair and put it upright again! Now that's what I call manners ;)

I have a question about the use of the teleport/phase skill as well as traversing landscapes in general. Right now, it seems the limit on your thaumaturgic abilities is quite high. While I understand that is all for the purpose of showcasing the mechanic, its applications and the environments it is used in, will the limit be lowered severely for release? Also, will some areas remain restricted by the game (Let's say a balcony that allows you to plunder some rich soul of all their belongings without any interference from the guards.)?

Also, we were shown a player traversing a more natural landscape, with jagged rocks, slopes and hills. In an urban environment, would you be able to jump up on a ledge you can't reach with a regular step? If so, would it be fully/partially contextual or completely dependant on the timing and accuracy of the player?

Probably my favourite video so far, the progress made on the game is really shining through on all possible aspects.

Go Bare Mettle!

Fresh

Insider
I noticed that there are no status bars for the opponents... are they intended for future, or are they purposefully excluded? It seems quite difficult to have any idea how close the enemy is to dying.
Personally I hope there won't be a health bar above the enemies to show their current status. Takes away some of the difficulty from the game in my eyes, because you might feel more secure on winning if you see a low health bar. There's a mystery and fear to not knowing.

Tom

Insider
Personally I hope there won't be a health bar above the enemies to show their current status. Takes away some of the difficulty from the game in my eyes, because you might feel more secure on winning if you see a low health bar. There's a mystery and fear to not knowing.
But then there has to be some other way of telling if the enemy is getting weaker, 'cause otherwise you won't feel you're progressing at all ;)

Empire²

Insider
But then there has to be some other way of telling if the enemy is getting weaker, 'cause otherwise you won't feel you're progressing at all ;)
I think there'll definitely be a way to tell. It would feel appropriate to have enemies that are close to death swing slower and fight more defensively by staying back and parrying rather than charging with a flurry of blows. In my opinion, watching and feeling a fight become less and less tough, when you parry last-effort blows with ease and drive your opponent back more and more, is a lot more rewarding than seeing a big red rectangle decrease in size.

There needs to be an easy indicator that the enemy is tired. Getting distracted because you're wondering how much health this knight has left is kind of dangerous in the context of the game, where things can turn around on you quite easily.

Fresh

Insider
I guess you already have indications on how a fight is turning out based on the sounds enemies are making, blood and "hit sounds". You can pretty easily hear, in the videos at least, when your weapon hits a body or a shield/weapon. But as Empire say - another way to see the progress could be that the enemies are getting weaker.

Rob

So, now that we have the public video, what's the next step? What will you guys be focusing on?
Madoc - "Once we release the public video our priority will be an alpha version. This will be a cut down version of the game with limited content that will hopefully anyway capture the heart and soul of the game and feature various aspects of gameplay, not all but not just combat either. Playing the actual game, even if not the complete game, should make it much less abstract and allow people to start thinking more clearly about what it is and where it should go."

From here:
http://www.baremettle.com/sg/forums/index.php?threads/bare-mettle-whats-useful-to-discuss.1029/#post-11045

Parco

awesome video, if ive known nothing of the game i would have gone around and told everyone that this is pre-beta :D
I agree with Fresh about visible health bars for opponents, the strong feeling you can get when fighting strong enemies and the battle takes forever, and after almost dying multiple times you finally see your opponent fall down to his knees.

Last edited:

BigT2themax

Insider
Holy shit, Cryaotic posted a comment on the video praising you guys. If he were to make a video or something when the beta or the full game comes out, you'd probably see a BIG jump in interest and sales and whatnot.

Also, I'm regretting staying up late to see the video and whatnot, as I'm really, really tired now. T_T

Empire²

Insider
Holy shit, Cryaotic posted a comment on the video praising you guys. If he were to make a video or something when the beta or the full game comes out, you'd probably see a BIG jump in interest and sales and whatnot.
Yeah, I randomly happened to see that comment too. I don't watch Cryaotic myself, but he has quite a following. Also, Youtube in general should cause a jump in interest if we can learn anything from Minecraft, Terraria, Mount & Blade and more.

tiny lampe

Insider
The combat in this game is incredibly entertaining to watch. Collisions are to blame here (take for example those chopping attacks with the 2H sword against the guard in maille; that felt powerful, convincing...that felt right). The pacing of the fights is also a refreshing change; while in most games hitting and getting hit is easy here you see how the combatants struggle to land that clean hit. There is dodging, there is missing, there is repositioning....you can almost feel the hestiation and the stakes of a fight that is going to be to death. I applaud that. The AI is another aspect that left me quite impressed; in many occasions (as when fighting the guy with a 2H mace) you see how opponents look for your back, trying to strike when you are most exposed. It was mentioned a long time ago that no enemy could be disregarded as trivial; anybody could kill you if you didn't pay attention. I think this video shows that very well. Finally, I'd also like to mention that this video showed how you can put your body weight behind your attacks. That's a feature that was mentioned by Madoc but this is the first time I get to see in action; a good example is in 7:50, where the player performs an attack in which she throws her weight forward, pushing the guard in meille as a result. Having this kind of options shows how skillful combat in Sui Generis can be.

I'd like to close this post with a question: when fighting against the guy with a 2H mace the player character received 2 very clean hits. One to the head and another one to the back. In both cases I was expecting the sheer force of the blow to throw the player out of balance but that didn't happen. Can we expect such thing to be implemented at some point? It would reinforce the idea of 'hits have weight' tremendously.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.