UO!

I saw the game-play videos and thought to myself... "wow, this is Ultima Online 2!" :) but then I found out that this was a single player RPG. God how I wish this would have been a MMORPG. I would want nothing more than to have UO made with these graphics and physics.

Anyhoo! The game looks great, keep at it devs!

Skybar

Insider
I have never played UO, but I don't think this game would work that well in an MMORPG-setting - with NPCs that stay dead when killed and stuff like that. But it would definitely be great to have a diablo-like online system, where you "host" your own world and play together with 4-8 of your friends.

I'm sure they will come up with something, even if it happens to be after the release. Just wait and see :)

Tom

Insider
I saw the game-play videos and thought to myself... "wow, this is Ultima Online 2!" :) but then I found out that this was a single player RPG. God how I wish this would have been a MMORPG. I would want nothing more than to have UO made with these graphics and physics.

Anyhoo! The game looks great, keep at it devs!
Funny story, I did play UO and I did get some UO waves from this game's style, at least graphically. So I kinda know how you feel, so don't think it's just you :p

That being said, this is clearly going to be a single player game. Multiplayer might come in the distant future, after the release of the single player one is done (and even then, there are no plans for such a thing, I'm just pointing out the possibility).

I really don't get why people keep saying "Make an MMO/multiplayer out of this game!". To me, a single player experience would be more than enough for this kind of thing. It's like making Skyrim or one of those massive RPGs into a multiplayer experience - I just couldn't imagine it.

Tony

Insider
@Tom:

They've said that multiplayer is something they'd like to add and if it doesn't get in by release (not enough time) then it's likely to make it in after release. And they are designing the game to be dynamic enough to take into consideration if there is just one or multiple people (like if you were to have an NPC fight along side you).

Madoc

Project Lead
Initially we will have multiplayer LAN. This will not be an MMO like UO, it's just not really possible (we adored UO btw). If and when we introduce online play will be more along the lines of battle.net but hopefully with some additional nice features.

Maybenot

Insider
I think it's perfectly fine and you've been very clear on your intentions from the beginning , i mean you have to take the resources you have and make a great single player game and don't waste them to make a MMO because it's not your plan and also for us is like that , BUT even I (and my friends, and a large chunk of community from what i get) would like to put their hands on your code/engine/etc somewhere in the future and play and customize.

This means basically, allowing us to modify to the smallest detail (this doesn't concern modding tools really , it would be a plus but there's plenty of people capable of modify the code or add new things), that means also disabling the physics for most of the assets or disabling most of the AI wich makes things develop on themselves (if someone wants to implement a server/client model to make his own persistent world and then release it for everyone why not?).

Also means a whole lot of other things like no fixed map size , prevent modders from crashing their heads on hardcoding etc.

In the end you don't do it , but let us do it :D , if you think about it modding capability is what has made bunch of great games a cult and making people know and enjoy them years after release (many years for some and that's the point :) )

walltar

Insider
Initially we will have multiplayer LAN. This will not be an MMO like UO, it's just not really possible (we adored UO btw). If and when we introduce online play will be more along the lines of battle.net but hopefully with some additional nice features.
Lan multiplayer is a must ... is it something we wanted in Elder scrolls all the time ... and what we've got? MMO which i personaly never wanted. Me and my friend pledged just because we want to play co-op.

It's something I've never understood, the option for LAN multiplayer, it seems to me (the uneducated in terms of computer game development) that LAN is really rather simple to add as a feature. Even if the gameplay isn't designed around it, to merely fight each other would be excellent fun. Every RPG can benefit from a 1 vs 1 fight with your character against that of your friend.

walltar

Insider
It's something I've never understood, the option for LAN multiplayer, it seems to me (the uneducated in terms of computer game development) that LAN is really rather simple to add as a feature. Even if the gameplay isn't designed around it, to merely fight each other would be excellent fun. Every RPG can benefit from a 1 vs 1 fight with your character against that of your friend.
Well speaking about TES ... if modders could ad Co-Op i never understood why betesda wasn't able to.

Kale

Insider
You have to think of things other than just having another character in the game. Many games have preset animations for certain things, and the player character may not have animations to react to his own attacks. AI will have to change to accommodate 2 or more attackers. Data will have to be transferred back and forth to keep in sync. Not saying I've done network programming but there is possibly a lot to consider to add in multiplayer of any kind.

As for TES Co-Op, has there been a successful attempt in Skyrim modding? I only really started with Skyrim as Oblivion bored the hell out of me, and I didn't really play any of the ones before it.

UO ftw!

SergeDavid

Insider
The biggest thing about having multiplayer in these games involve two different scenarios. The ability to act completely independently of each other with the only needed shared link between the two players is the same game world. I could be off picking flowers or riding my sheep through town and slaying the odd dire rat while my companion could be wandering in a dark cave somewhere looting treasure.

The next idea is to set up a hunger games like event in an unpopulated corner of the world where our goal is to kill each other in the most entertaining ways possible. (I picture being added in modding, 2~12 people get first person and the last stays third who is the game host and adds in all those fun little surprises)

Yea, a man could wish. UO was my first MMORPG, started in 1997. I stopped playing when EA took over and basically joined free shards. Anyway, I don't mean to drone off topic, but you can see why I love UO and no MMORPG has come close to it.

I'm glad to see that this will at least have a LAN option. That is also great news as I ocansionally go to LAN parties with 5 of my buddies. One suggestion, can you consider allowing 6 players per game as opposed to only 4?

You have to think of things other than just having another character in the game. Many games have preset animations for certain things, and the player character may not have animations to react to his own attacks. AI will have to change to accommodate 2 or more attackers. Data will have to be transferred back and forth to keep in sync. Not saying I've done network programming but there is possibly a lot to consider to add in multiplayer of any kind.

As for TES Co-Op, has there been a successful attempt in Skyrim modding? I only really started with Skyrim as Oblivion bored the hell out of me, and I didn't really play any of the ones before it.

UO ftw!
Skyrim Online has been in the works for a bit. However, they are still in Alpha stages and is no way considered playable. When I first played Skyrim, I thought, "Wow, this game would be amazing if it was a MMORPG" Why? you may ask... well once again, I found myself comparing Skyrim to Ultima Online. This was pretty much the most modern game (graphic intensive) as I was going to get that had similarities to UO. My ideal MMORPG will basically be UO with Skyrim graphics.

I think since Skyrim had such a big impact and a lot of people wanted an online option, Bethesda decided to make Elder Scrolls online. I'll be following this game as well. I believe this is Bethesda's first MMORPG so I'm curious how it will turn out. Will it be another waste of $59.99 + 14.99 a month (or free for the first month :)) you won't know unless you try it out!

Kale

Insider
I'm much the same as you. I love UO, I started late though, at like 2000 or so, and I played the free month. Then I played free shards. Played on 2 or 3, Imagine Nation was my favorite for a while. Played on it for 3 months, quit then came back for another 3 months some time down the road.

But I also thought, wow, this is almost like UO in a way. And I love the way it allow you to play without going out to kill stuff like every other MMO out there. Not only that, you don't have skills to put points into, it's all based on how skillful you are in that skill.

Rob

Sadly I never have lan buddies, I hope though that we can set up a lan like thing online though.
That could be difficult, lol. Imagine the cables...

But yes, I think that the multiplayer system tentatively planned for Sui Generis could do what you want. They've said that it's not a top priority, but could become an option as time progresses.

Parco

@Fawz
Miss post. Please delete :(
would be nice if we got a delete option in edit mode :p

to the topic i will quote myself here:p
if online play is added to the game i hope we will start in offline with the possibility to go online (so i can play singleplayer/lan). I think its simply annoying with the new thing where u have to be online just to play in singleplayer, farcry 3 is a good example. if they set up online multiplayer servers then i would gladly pay to play on them. but as i said, i want the online play to be optional and not a requirement.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.