Grand list of dev quotes on features

MowLiao

Insider
Ahh, I feel like this is the "Bring everyone back to reality" thread. There're so many people theorising and fantasising about a fully interactive simulator-type game in other threads, when admittedly in reality it isn't going to be convenient or that fun to have to sleep or eat etc.

Either way, nice work. It's good to see all the "official" comments put together in context. =)

I'd love to translate all of this to Russian and post it in Russian forums (I will provide a link to this thread of course) if you don't mind.
Go for it. I'll inform you whenever I get to a new reserved post.

Be sure to link it back here though, just in case something happens and you Commies need to see the old one.

Algea

Insider
Be sure to link it back here though, just in case something happens and you Commies need to see the old one.
I've already done that. Some of us Commies know English well enough to read without waiting for my amateur translation.:D Thanks a lot The Hedge Knight!

Achilles

Supporter
I am happy with most of the quotes, but the ones about not having voice actors, and the lack of children... In a realistic cruel world, why no dead children? why not a demon kidnapping children and abussing them in its lair, untill you save them, for example?

Rob

I am happy with most of the quotes, but the ones about not having voice actors, and the lack of children... In a realistic cruel world, why no dead children? why not a demon kidnapping children and abussing them in its lair, untill you save them, for example?
Whilst it is a shame, I can understand that a game with realistic physics suffers more of a moral dilemma about the potential for abusing children than most... some devs might have said ce la vie, but I think you've got to respect the decision either way.

And about voice actors, there are two problems with that:
(1) financial resources;
(2) linearity. The idea is to let the player define their own world and experience. Imposing particular voices enforces predefined characters, detracting from the player's creative ability and thus immersion. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on what you're going for. In a Bioware/Witcher title, you'd want voice acting - it's half-way to a film; in a more free D&D-style world, you probably wouldn't. Ultimately, a game has to make a choice whether or not it's a predefined (semi-)linear story...

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.