Dodging and Parry

Jon Nukem

Insider
I was wondering if you could do a little cool barrel role around a enemy or maybe throw up a shield to protect your self from enemy's. I will be donating soon and I just wanna know if I will be able to do this.

Venom

The use of shields has been confirmed and strafing is already confirmed. Rolling dodges, though, are up for the devs to decide if they will be included. Being a game purely based on physics and considering the huge size of some enemies (the ogre being the base example), I'm pretty convinced that a rolling dodge will be included. It should also be noted that one of the different thaumaturgy paths is Displacement.

Tony

Insider
I like the idea of active dodging, but I'd hope that they'd be more creative than using simple rolling. There are so many better types of dodges like sidesteps, pirouettes, backsteps, etc. I think rolling is an overused dodge mechanic and it gets rather old seeing it over and over in games. Not to mention it just looks silly seeing someone in armor with a weapon rolling on the ground. Anyone who has played The Witcher 2 or Demon's Souls will probably tell you the same.

Valvar

Except the fact that rolling stopped you from taking damage in TW2, I thought it was excellent. If you ever practice certain martial arts you will understand how easy and effective it actually is to roll away. Combined with the excellent physics in SG, it could be amazing (getting hit in midroll etc would actually make sense).

Tony

Insider
Except the fact that rolling stopped you from taking damage in TW2, I thought it was excellent. If you ever practice certain martial arts you will understand how easy and effective it actually is to roll away. Combined with the excellent physics in SG, it could be amazing (getting hit in midroll etc would actually make sense).
I've practiced two types of martial arts: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. Rolling is used quite a bit in BJJ (in fact, when we spar we usually refer to it as "rolling"), but not so much in Muay Thai. Rolling in combat is quite effective when you're unarmed and not wearing any gear or armor. But if I were to attempt this while holding a large sword and fully armored it would be quite painful (especially in Geralt's case since he always has a sword strapped to his back).

This is why I'd prefer if they used more combat effective dodges (that take into account wearing armor and using weapons) like I previously mentioned.

Valvar

I guess you're right. Especially with plate armour, this would become a pain in the ass (no pun intended).

Tony

Insider
Another benefit to using other methods of dodging (as opposed to rolling) is that they are quicker to execute, which improves your chances to successfully land a counterattack. Usually the most successful evasive moves are ones which require almost no movement and don't lessen your ability to counterattack (you want to move as little as possible to avoid the attack so that it takes less movement/energy/time to follow-up with your own attack).

Madoc

Project Lead
Shields will definitely be added and probably soon. We already have basic parrying. You can move in 8 directions relative to the cursor with WASD and this is a huge component of combat already. AI also uses the same steps to actively dodge attacks and perform lunges.

As for rolling we have considered it but this is something that would need some testing. Your weapons and anything else you're wearing would indeed not just go through the ground in our game, it could get messy.

Tony

Insider
Shields will definitely be added and probably soon. We already have basic parrying. You can move in 8 directions relative to the cursor with WASD and this is a huge component of combat already. AI also uses the same steps to actively dodge attacks and perform lunges.

As for rolling we have considered it but this is something that would need some testing. Your weapons and anything else you're wearing would indeed not just go through the ground in our game, it could get messy.
Thanks for the response! Have you guys considered adding other dodges as opposed to rolling? For example, double tap either A or D (or whatever keys you have bound to walk left/right) will cause your character to do a quick sidestep (or you could take it one step further and double tap side key followed by pressing attack to do a pirouette followed by counterattack); double tap the move backwards key to peform a quick backstep, etc.

Humblerbee

Insider
Thanks for the response! Have you guys considered adding other dodges as opposed to rolling? For example, double tap either A or D (or whatever keys you have bound to walk left/right) will cause your character to do a quick sidestep (or you could take it one step further and double tap side key followed by pressing attack to do a pirouette followed by counterattack); double tap the move backwards key to peform a quick backstep, etc.
I'd endorse this idea, but take it a step further- just starting out, your character won't know fancy footwork, and in combat will strafe about to attempt to dodge attacks, but as you train, I think there should be a skill option for evasive maneuvers, allowing you to specialize into a more fleet-footed, agile combatant. It would be excellent for melee characters who don't want to use shields, but need defensive options to deal with foes, and evasiveness is one way to allow that. (Secretly, I just want to make a rogue-ish duelist who wields a rapier and fights elegantly, I love the idea.)

Valvar

We are of the same mind. I would like to play an agile ranger - and who is to say that steel armour is the best way of defending oneself?

Humblerbee

Insider
We are of the same mind. I would like to play an agile ranger - and who is to say that steel armour is the best way of defending oneself?
"The best way to take a hit is to not take a goddamn hit." Duck and weave people, duck and weave. Seriously though, I think allowing a evasive action skill would enable more playstyles, and as it requires a skill point, would mean they need to invest in it. You can't specialize in everything, which is part of the fun, choosing your specific skills to tailor your character to your playstyle.

BrecMadak

Insider
Let's hope that whether it would be evading/dodging or parrying/blocking, let it be implemented in a way that the act is to be given under x player's responsibility. (by being the timing to be prior over everything) Manual, not something thats calculated and happens automatically after formulaic and boring checks, provided that being able to do only one action at a time.

Also 'Deflection' is an another mechanic that could be implemented that each shield has a different range of with the stability of the wielder.

I'm curios on this how devs' thoughts would shine, since i'm actually keen to pursue this interesting mechanic to see how it would turn out eventually.

Qazlal

I was reading grand quotes thread and found this quote:
As for rolling we have considered it but this is something that would need some testing.
I hope this is a bad joke, rolling is absolutely unrealistic and idiotic move in games.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.