First Impression Feetback

K.L.R.G.

Day 3 Impression:
I tried to avoid reading any guides and all yet to give a hopefully useful impression of how a new player might experience the game. But there have been some things that I found out that made the whole experience ... how do I put it politely ... "strange".

I started to close doors after I read and realised that the enemys won't go through closed doors. I really hope that this is just an improvisation due to the Alpha-Status ... because it's really strange that the enemys can't open doors. It would make sense if you could lock them from one side with a latch or something like that ...

Where I really have to praise the game is the level design for multiple reasons. First there is the believable arrangement of rooms like kitchens, storage-rooms and even toilettes. Really nice and detailed stuff and it feels like an environment where somebody had lived once ... Although I'm missing places to sleep ...

From a gamedesign perspective the layout of weapons, chests, keys and all that stuff is really well thought out. As soon as you have the knowledge where you can find what stuff you can easily get a good weapon (I favor the sledge hammer) avoid useless rooms with enemys that will exhaust you and instead go for the rooms that have stuff of value in it ...

I'm still for having an option to keep and collect all the stuff you've once found! It would avoid a really nasty portion of grinding and backtracking ...

The level design is there after all. It would be great if you would for example keep the key to the prison cells after death ... You could just start from the starting point instead of heaving to get it other and other again ...

So in my current situation I'm not able to get past the enemys in the prison cells ... One of them normally gets me and it's over ... which is frustrating because at some point I found not even decent but really nice looking equipment ... ... ... <.<

Oh that's another point ... I like the random spawning chests and the overall desing of the armour ... Even if you find more than often stuff that you already have it has sometimes a fancier design which I really like (and loved to keep after death like I keep saying as often as having to redo the same corridor-grind in the first level over and over and over again ... ...) ...

Edit:
Another thing ... Why can't you hold a torch with a two handed weapon???
If you get into fighting your character could automatically drop it while you're still be able to explore dark rooms with a two handed weapons ... It's really annoying in some points in the game that you can't do that ... ... ...

Last edited:
I started to close doors after I read and realised that the enemys won't go through closed doors. I really hope that this is just an improvisation due to the Alpha-Status ... because it's really strange that the enemys can't open doors.
Doesn't seems strange to me that the enemies you are talking about can't open doors. They don't look like normal human being, don't you think ?

Some enemies can open door.
I'm talking about the skeletons

About the torch idea I'm with you on this one. Although later in another lvl you can get rid of that trouble.
With the magic helm :)

K.L.R.G.

@StrikerJG1:
Wait ... the more humanoid looking guys that from my perspective are closer to a human being will not be able to do a simple task like pushing down a door latch, but the skelettons that have been dead for such a long time that they are literally only bone and thin air are smart enought to do it ... ... ...

It would make a LOT more sense to just build in doors that like real doors can only be locked from one side ... Additionally there could be a way to more easily block doors with physics ... Put a closet, barrel or table in front of it and the door is closed ... Another way could be using keys ... So if you have found a key you can use it to close doors behind enemys ...

@StrikerJG1:
Wait ... the more humanoid looking guys that from my perspective are closer to a human being will not be able to do a simple task like pushing down a door latch, but the skeletons that have been dead for such a long time that they are literally only bone and thin air are smart enough to do it ... ... ...

It would make a LOT more sense to just build in doors that like real doors can only be locked from one side ... Additionally there could be a way to more easily block doors with physics ... Put a closet, barrel or table in front of it and the door is closed ... Another way could be using keys ... So if you have found a key you can use it to close doors behind enemies ...
Yes, it would maybe make more sense etc...

But you are not inside the developers head and you can't say "Hey this guys need to know how to open doors because he is human-looking". It is their world, they invented it (long time ago if I remember correctly what I've read on this forum so far). I don't think they are aiming for realism at all cost. They do decide who can open doors or not :)

And the human looking creatures looks more animals than human to me. Or maybe zumbies. They look very different of arena's humans.

It is just my opinion.

Don Kanaille

Insider
I'm not sure what the point of doing so would be? If you rush to the 2nd level then returned to the first only difference is you'd start at the 2nd level instead of the first upon death, but you'd still have no decent armor or weapons since you rushed passed all those :p. I suppose you'd also gain a bit of XP for exploration while heading to the second level.
With "rush" I di not mean "run through without doing anything" but rather "only stay on the main path and take what you find there."

No matter what, at least you´ll see some new areas when you start from checkpoint one. Also you´ll get better loot faster from there (unless you are super-lucky with the chests in the starting area).

Don Kanaille

Insider
@StrikerJG1:
Wait ... the more humanoid looking guys that from my perspective are closer to a human being will not be able to do a simple task like pushing down a door latch, but the skelettons that have been dead for such a long time that they are literally only bone and thin air are smart enought to do it ... ... ...

It would make a LOT more sense to just build in doors that like real doors can only be locked from one side ... Additionally there could be a way to more easily block doors with physics ... Put a closet, barrel or table in front of it and the door is closed ... Another way could be using keys ... So if you have found a key you can use it to close doors behind enemys ...

I´m assuming getting a skeleton to move around is a greater magical feat than a human body which still has muscles on it, so it makes sense to me that the skeletons are more refined, as more work was put into them. They also may have been purposely created for that task rather than the regular zombies who may just be victims of some sort of illness or posession. This also fits with their different personalities: The regular undead don´t care too much about you most of the time, but the skeletons are always hostile.

Also, a planned feature is the ability to "drag" objects around that are too heavy to straigh-out lift, similar to how you can move around corpse now. That will be pretty handy in blocking doors.

Bullethead

Yep, and height affects movement, balance and where you land your hits too. Still, most of the stuff said in that thread is pure speculation and mostly incorrect.
Well, why don't you post your own observations in that thread? I asked for everybody's opinions and experiences. What I reported is what I saw after spending several hours experimenting. I figure my results support my conclusions. If you have different conclusions, back them up with data and post the results.

I didn't start that thread to start arguments, but as a scientific experiment to hopefully discover the actual effects of different physiques, as an aid to new players such as myself. So what matters is the truth of the matter, not opinions. I actively invite others to experiment themselves and would love to see believable results that contradict my own observations. So knock yourself out.

NOTE: In that thread, I was going for extremes. I'm sure the optimum physiques aren't on the edges of the box like I was doing. Further research towards finding the sweet spot on the box is definitely in order.

Murf

Experiments are not really necc when the devs say what is and isn't affected by the physics of the game. Pretty sure they would know. But if hours and hours of experimenting is what ya feel like doing, knock yourself out.

K.L.R.G.

Day 4 Impression: Back to the Arena
I played the arena-mode again and realised that you could pick up the defeated enemys weapons and armour ... So really important advice: Put some information for new players in the Arena-Mode like "Double Click on the enemy to loot them" ...

One of the things I really like about the arena is that you keep your equipment! Although I made the sad experience that you loose it all after restarting the game ... There is no reason for that aside from developer's had no time to include any kind of save-feature in their game (which to a degree is baffling me ...) ...

Any way ... aside from that the arena-mode is great and shows the potential of the battle and armour-system. It's so great to finally see a game that acknowledges the fact that real armour consists of multiple layers of armour and also makes it physically realistic. I really like the fact that you get nearly no permanent damage if you wear really heavy armour ...

@NachoDawg:
I would love to explore the game if it would give me any consistent benefit aside from knowing which room and enemy you can skip ... .... ... The loose of equipment is really frustrating me and I'm only forcing me to go on with it because of the potential the game has ... Not because it's in any kind rewarding ...

Especially when the arena mode rubs under my nose how greatly the flow of that game increases when you are allowed to keep your equipment ...

At the moment it's more a speed-running contest ... But with stealth (aka slow, tidious and boring) ... Get the stuff you need, avoid enemys, close doors and get back to the part where you died the last time ... only to die again and do it all over again ... + loosing all the fun stuff you found meanwhile ... So for me there is no value in any exploration in that game and I have this itch to just start googling for maps of the game instead of exploring and enjoying it ... <.<

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.