First Impression Feetback

Don Kanaille

Insider
I´m a bit afraid the tone is this discussion is about to drop, so I hope everyone takes some time to cool down before any more accusations are thrown around. I´m pretty sure we all just want the best for the game, so try to stay level-heded, okay?

This community has always been noticably civil and constructive, no reason for a stain on the record :)

So, without going into the deeper themes, there is at least one thing I´d like to reply to:

@Madoc:
Alternative Question: What happens if you die when you actually died from not-permanent-damage?
The Zombies are to stupid to open doors (no, I never let it go) so I guess they might be to stupid to finish you of? So technically you would keep all the permanent damage but should awake some time later? Just asking from the realism-perspective?
As far as I know, this is supposed to be a major point in Sui Generis at least. First, it is planned that there is a significant difference between getting knocked out and getting killed, just as logic dictates. Someone who gets knocked out may gets finished off for good, robbed, abducted, found by a empathic merchant´s daughter and nursed back to heatlh or simply awakes some time later with a slight headache.

Dieing, on the other hand, is a deeply interconnected feature: Your character will, lore-wise, have the ability to return from the dead in some way (how and why unknown to even himself). So when you get killed, you will return with at least parts of your prior knowledge, but without your equipment. Wheter or not you can retrieve your old stuff depends on the dynamic game world: Maybe your corpse is still rotting where you died with your stuff intact, maybe you fell/were thrown down a cliff and your stuff is unreachable, maybe your death was a national tragedy and your old body with all your stuff was buried in a hero´s tomb or maybe your corpse was simply looted by bandits. But even then you will be able to track the looters down, maybe find the merchant they sold your stuff to, and so on. Even those looters will have a special motivation for robbing your corpse and will only do so if they actually think they can use your equipment or know a merchant which trades suspicoius goods for money... so you should be able to find your way around with almost all the means the real world would present you.

However, you will not simply be able to restart from a save game or checkpoint. Everything you do has consequences of some sort and the game will always continiue for your character. It is also very well possible to miss important events if you´re KO or dead, but no event is set in stone and everything can be changed again if you act accordingly. It´s all a very important part of building this kind of dynamic, interactive, perpetual world.

Regarding Exanima, I do not know what the plans for this feature are. I agree that getting KO´ed and killed meaning the same thing is a bit unsatisfying, maybe the devs have something up their sleeves. I´d love to see the system described above at least used to a small extend in Exanima (imagine getting knocked out and awakening in a cell or strapped to one of those surgery tables... or saved by one of the undead!) but that is probably still far down the line.

Finally, a disclaimer: It is possible that my understanding of these features/plans for the game is incorrect or simply outdated by now, so if someone knows better feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

Beaushizzle

Back to the door thing: I'm pretty sure that in every zombie-related thing ever, zombies have trouble with doors. Usually manipulating the door handle. I assume the doors in game have some sort of handle, and some sort of latch similar to today's doors. (Yes, there WERE doorknobs in the Middle Ages). Zombies can't open the door due to the rather sophisticated brain processes that go into opening a door. Even small children (I have two) take a ridiculously long time to figure out how it works.
Viola, there's your reason.

Edited because I was being sort of a douche.

Last edited:

Jackm108

Maybe your corpse is still rotting where you died with your stuff intact, maybe you fell/were thrown down a cliff and your stuff is unreachable, maybe your death was a national tragedy and your old body with all your stuff was buried in a hero´s tomb or maybe your corpse was simply looted by bandits.
This has my attention. Is this random speculation, or can the game be so dynamic that you could go from a lowly no-one, to being the talk of the town, then on to becoming a national treasure? I really hope the devs try to implement this in some way, that would be truly extraordinary, and it'll also open new avenues when you come back from the dead. There'd be rumours of the legendary hero being spotted in some town, then as word spreads, maybes the local governments send officials out to investigate, find you, then you return to the capital with a glorious fanfare. Gah, I wish.

Don Kanaille

Insider
This has my attention. Is this random speculation, or can the game be so dynamic that you could go from a lowly no-one, to being the talk of the town, then on to becoming a national treasure? I really hope the devs try to implement this in some way, that would be truly extraordinary, and it'll also open new avenues when you come back from the dead. There'd be rumours of the legendary hero being spotted in some town, then as word spreads, maybes the local governments send officials out to investigate, find you, then you return to the capital with a glorious fanfare. Gah, I wish.

Well, it is their stated goal to do so, or at least come as close as currently possible. This is supposedly THE big feature of Sui Generis, much bigger than even the physics and the combat.

Non Linear Story. Write your own story. Create your own character and then interact with the world and events as you see fit. Who knows what might happen? It's not written, it's up to you
In Sui Generis we hope to create a computer role playing experience like none other. A world where you have complete freedom and everything you do has repercussions.

We have not defined a path for you to follow, we don't know what you will do or whether you will succeed in doing it, anything might happen. All events and plotlines unfold dynamically and according to a hugely detailed input of circumstace, even the most apparently insignificant change in conditions can result in dramatically different outcomes. There is no correct way to do things and no failure or success, just an ever changing world that you must discover yourself.

The game world is completely persistent. There is no saving and loading, everything that happens is permanent. You do not try again or follow a known strategy, you deal with consequences and feel the weight of events that are meaningful in their implications and unique malleable state. What you do and what happens matters.
Source: http://www.baremettle.com/games/

Last edited:

Jackm108

It mentions the world is 'completely persistent'. Does this mean we can create a new character into a world we've already influenced on another? Sort of like in dwarf fortress? That'd be very nice.

Don Kanaille

Insider
It mentions the world is 'completely persistent'. Does this mean we can create a new character into a world we've already influenced on another? Sort of like in dwarf fortress? That'd be very nice.
I´m not entirely sure. The closest thing I found is this:

The idea is that you create a world instance and a character and yes, you can create new world instances and drop an existing character in. Difficulty scaling is something we're still not entirely sure about but it might take you a few play throughs before you can deal with some really hard fights. It's partly up to you how difficult the game is.
Source: http://www.baremettle.com/forums/index.php?threads/grand-list-of-dev-quotes-on-features.195/

Gnar

Insider
Just an observation on the permadeath subject. It's been said many times that Sui Generis will NOT be permadeath, or perhaps I misinterpreted the wording? Exanima is a game/experience in and of itself yes, but it is also the Devs implementing and testing game features through us (backers/beta testers/players/etc.).

How many of you would have played through the game as many times as you have if you kept every item you've found along the way? Every time you play the game and try something different (hell, even trying the same thing time after time) you test the mechanics of the game. The game wouldn't be half what it is at this point if people weren't playing it and finding bugs and reporting them to the Devs. Every play through also provides you with ideas/suggestions of things that you would like to see in Sui Generis, things that the Devs hadn't thought of.

Exanima/Sui Generis is their project, their idea, their gift to us. They aren't going to change the vision they started with because we want them to, but we have the opportunity to influence to help them make it the best game that it can be.

Just my 2 cents, you can keep the change or issue a refund if you disagree.

- P.S. : @Madoc, you guys have kicked ass since the beginning. Figuratively and in game.

Don Kanaille

Insider
Just an observation on the permadeath subject. It's been said many times that Sui Generis will NOT be permadeath, or perhaps I misinterpreted the wording?
Depends on how you view it. You will not be able to save the game and load an earlier save if you die and neither will there be checkpoints. However the game will continiue when your character dies, as your character will come back to life again every time; likely with at least parts of his experience, but without his equipment (wheter or not you can get your equipment back depends on the dynamic world: maybe its still where you died, maybe looters took it and so on). This whole coming back from the dead thing is not simply a gameplay mechanic, but also a major plot point.

So it is permanent in that the fact you died at a certain place and time cannot be reverted, but also not permanent as your character will move on and the world will not be reset to zero.

Bullethead

So it is permanent in that the fact you died at a certain place and time cannot be reverted, but also not permanent as your character will move on and the world will not be reset to zero.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how the world reacts to this. If you respawn far from where you died (which I hope), then for at least a while (depending on how many times you die) you should be able to pass yourself off as just a normal guy and all is well. But eventually folks will start to notice you keep coming back, and then the fun can begin. I hope there'll be a mixture of folks who think you're undead/demonic and try to burn you at the stake, folks who idolize you as some sort of demigod (and perhaps these factions war with eachother), and most folks in the middle willing to put up with you but being uneasy in your presence, not knowing whether to fear or love you.

Jackm108

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the world reacts to this. If you respawn far from where you died (which I hope), then for at least a while (depending on how many times you die) you should be able to pass yourself off as just a normal guy and all is well. But eventually folks will start to notice you keep coming back, and then the fun can begin. I hope there'll be a mixture of folks who think you're undead/demonic and try to burn you at the stake, folks who idolize you as some sort of demigod (and perhaps these factions war with eachother), and most folks in the middle willing to put up with you but being uneasy in your presence, not knowing whether to fear or love you.
Imagine if you're well known across an entire nation, and your death is a national tragedy and you get a giant state funeral, then you gatecrash your own funeral, causing social rifts in the society between people who think you're demonic and evil and those who think you're a godlike being. Imagine a cult forming dedicated to you, or some WH40K style enforced worship. It'd be pretty cool.

NachoDawg

Imagine if you're well known across an entire nation, and your death is a national tragedy and you get a giant state funeral, then you gatecrash your own funeral, causing social rifts in the society between people who think you're demonic and evil and those who think you're a godlike being. Imagine a cult forming dedicated to you, or some WH40K style enforced worship. It'd be pretty cool.
I think the cool part about your scenario is that the devs would have built a system of NPCs dynamic enough to do this. I wonder how off-the-script the NPCs will be able to get :eek:

Greenbrog

Insider
What happens when you're boss and don't die?... As dynamic and interesting as this relationship would seem, I still think the idea is to not die right? I mean I am ruler right? I do play to murder my way to the top on more than one charecter.

Bullethead

I think the cool part about your scenario is that the devs would have built a system of NPCs dynamic enough to do this. I wonder how off-the-script the NPCs will be able to get :eek:
Yeah, like once your powerful enemies figure you out, they'll try to capture you and wall you up in a cell with just a small slot to shove in some gruel once in a while so you don't quite starve to death. You might be stuck there a couple generations until some new ruler thinks the legend of you is BS and stops feeding you :).

This whole coming back from the dead thing reminds me of the anime "Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne". That was some seriously twisted stuff there. The thing was, though, the more mangled she was at death, the longer it took her to come back. IIRC, it took her a few decades to come back from being injested by a jet engine.

So I'm wondering how much game time passes between when you die and when you come back. If it's long enough, then nobody will remember you from before so NPCs will treat you as normal.

What happens when you're boss and don't die?... As dynamic and interesting as this relationship would seem, I still think the idea is to not die right? I mean I am ruler right? I do play to murder my way to the top on more than one charecter.
Well, I'd imagine dying is painful and inconvenient so I'm sure everybody will try to avoid it. But if they succeed, they might be missing out on some of the more interesting aspects of the game.

NachoDawg

I assume the gameplay prespective on not dying is going to be, for the most part, that dying is something you want to avoid so you dont lose progress.

be it
- Progress in the dungeon you're in
- Progress with NPC relations
- Maybe you'll lose some XP
- Your thaumatic power. thaumaturges gain thaum-power by consuming it from other lives. Dying to a thaumaturge might mean you'll lose some.
- Lose your neat gear in case your body gets (likely) looted

On the other side, I could picture that the death mechanic could be used for benefits as well. Maybe you'll do a life where you're a thief and you steal a king's treasure. But there was an eye witness. Maybe the best course of action is to hide the treasure and kill yourself; so you'll get a new fresh face :p

On the other side, I could picture that the death mechanic could be used for benefits as well. Maybe you'll do a life where you're a thief and you steal a king's treasure. But there was an eye witness. Maybe the best course of action is to hide the treasure and kill yourself; so you'll get a new fresh face :p
That is twisted though and I like it !

Bullethead

That is twisted though and I like it !
It might also be a good idea to establish caches of gear at various points around the map, so you can quickly reequip yourself if you wake up naked far from where you died.

To me, the big question about this entire mechanic is how far away, both in space and in time, you respawn from where you died. The further away in either dimension, the more your previous existence is a write-off. Not only as to recovering any gear you had, but also your relationships with NPCs. I'd imagine most of your active side quests would be canceled at death (which usually ends contracts in real life), and some of them might be impossible to get back due to the death of the NPC in the meantime.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.