Suggestions for tutorial

Hi guys, new player here. I loved the game, I wasn't expecting to like it that much, I thank skallagrim.

Now, unto business.

Tutorial:

I had to read the tutorial two times to get it all. It is not badly writen and it explains everything, but the lengthy text do not help to explain game mechanics for a new player. Visual aid with screenshots, videos, or animated gifs with a short explanition would help a lot. I know people that wouldn't even want to try the game if they had to read that text.

A gameplay tutorial would be perfect, just one battle, like the arena, where the player can learn the basics of the combat, inventory and character creation.

K.L.R.G.

As a compromise that could be easily added:

They could put a corpse, a chest and a harmless zombie in the first room.

Corpse:
- To show that you can loot with double click. He could have a scroll on him that gives even some hints. Something like "I've been down here for some time now hiding from the undead. Some of them are more aggressive than others ..." or something like that to give you more hints.
- It could be plausible that the guy attacked you and got killed by the zombie in the room or something like that ...

Chest:
- A chest to show that there are actual chests that can be opened with double click.

Peaceful Zombie:
- He should be there to show you that those guys won't attack you and be on the lowest possible threadlevel if at all ... ... ...
- So even if you pick up a weapon he shouldn't attack you unless you attack him first ... Maybe he could make a noise as soon as you equip a weapon ...
- It is important to show that zombies can be pretty peaceful as long as you are no thread because in most cases you'll just pick the first weapon you can find and most zombies will attack you denying you a chance to find out that they have any kind of behaviour patterns ...

Those 3 elements would be a subtle way to prepare you from the beginning ...

Murf

- It is important to show that zombies can be pretty peaceful as long as you are no thread because in most cases you'll just pick the first weapon you can find and most zombies will attack you denying you a chance to find out that they have any kind of behaviour patterns ...
I disagree, I think it is important to pay attention in the game and see what consequences your actions have and then adjust your game play accordingly.

Ever other game out there does the kinds of things you are suggesting. I like the differences.

K.L.R.G.

Every other game makes a pop up box that explains you everything ...

This would still be a very indirect way ... There is no way I would have figured out that any of the Zombies are not aggressive or even have any kind of behaviour ... Why is that?

Because I act like I would act if I awake lonley with only a torch in a dark dungeon. I grap the next best weapon that I can find, which would be common sense but will trigger most zombies to attack you really early. So the only natural conclusion after your first encounter with a zombie is that you have to fight them or stay far away ...

Which means that the whole behaviour with trustlevel and all that stuff that is supposed to work in the background of the game is completly useless. That's why one example of a not attacking Zombie while you are unarmed would give the player a chance to realise that there is more to it than just get near them and they will kill you (like in every other game) ... And it would be a better way to find that out by actually watching it indirectly instead of randomly stumbling about it in forums ... ... ...

I don't know how anybody would be able to find that stuff out by himself. Like I said Weapon = Common Sense in this situation but weapon = aggressive zombies which means zombies = like everywhere else ...

I really don't want text-boxes explaining all stuff but subtle indirect information that allows the player to draw his own conclusions ... Maybe they could the zombie make aggressive as soon as you equip a weapon ... that gives you atleast a chance to draw a conclusion ... All those fency simulation in the background won't help if the game doesn't communicate them ...

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.