What's Next?

• PvP/Co-op
  • Steam controller support
  • Procedural weapons
My top three hype items on this list. Will there be general controller support as well or just the Steam controller?

Greenbrog

Insider
  • PvP/Co-op
  • Steam controller support
  • Procedural weapons
My top three hype items on this list. Will there be general controller support as well or just the Steam controller?
Doubt it, the reason he's even bothering is the unique thumb touch pad on the right thumb, still need the fine control similar to a mouse. But I could be way off here.

NachoDawg

Do we know if the game will ever become VR friendly? I could imagine some benefits to having depth perception in this game :p

NachoDawg

It works for simple or slow/medium paced RTS games, so I don't know why it wouldnt work for ex/sg
just youtube it for example:

idk, I think it is adaptable

konggary

Exanina is fixed-focus perspective, I don't see how that can be comfortably implemented with VR without fundamentally changing the game

Exanina is fixed-focus perspective, I don't see how that can be comfortably implemented with VR without fundamentally changing the game
Perhaps you could move the camera around a bit with VR, and it does this passively, but pressing space will let you turn or rotate the camera around you?

NachoDawg

I haven't personally used VR a lot except at a few times, so I can't really comment on how it would feel. Maybe it would be uncomfortable to have the vr always point at the character, maybe it wouldn't. I can however imagine the benefit of depth perception!

Avramovic

Supporter
okay, THAT is comprehensive list... good to know every match doesn't have to be a damn fight to death

(some spectators cheering and/or throwing tomatoes at me & the other guy/gal would also be nice)

konggary

Heh, you should try https://share.oculus.com/app/mythos-of-the-world-axis - it is also a dungeon crawler and it plays awesome in VR. I have even completed it with Oculus and it was a first game I finished in VR (in most cases I got motion sickness and stopped playing)

Still in this example, the camera isn't directly locked onto the character like it is in Exanima. One of the main complaints people have about EX is the camera, and having it fluid around the character would make it even worse. On the other hand, if you did have it locked onto the character with VR, that practically defeats the whole purpose of VR.

The problem I can see is that you would need to be able to swivel around to see from better angles, which cannot be done with a keyboard+mouse. Maybe steam controller will help with this.

Scully

Insider
Is there a post detailing how SG developement relates to Exanima? For example, are there two teams, does development run parallel?

konggary

Is there a post detailing how SG developement relates to Exanima? For example, are there two teams, does development run parallel?

All of the features implemented into EX will be in SG. SG will feature a larger world with more characters and dialogue, but all the combat, skill, etc. systems updated in EX will be in SG. To see the planned features just go to the "games" section of the main website, or visit the "grand list of dev quotes" forum post.

Scully

Insider
All of the features implemented into EX will be in SG. SG will feature a larger world with more characters and dialogue, but all the combat, skill, etc. systems updated in EX will be in SG. To see the planned features just go to the "games" section of the main website, or visit the "grand list of dev quotes" forum post.
My question was more related to the actual development of the games. I know what features are planned.

Tony

Insider
There are not two teams working on the games. They have a small team which includes less than 10 members working on both games. Exanima is currently the priority and most of the devs' time is spent on that. However, working on Exanima is the same as working on SG since all of the assets, mechanics, etc. created for Exanima are necessary for SG. Progress in Exanima is also progress towards SG.

Madoc

Project Lead
Short answer is that virtually nothing we do for Exanima isn't also useful for SG, and we go well out of our way to do things in ways that support what we need for SG rather than just what's good enough for Exanima. We are building Exanima as SG.

A recent example of this is how we have a shop in the new arena where you can buy weapons and armour. To do this we finalised the system behind trade and industry in SG so that the shop can dynamically determine what it should stock from any object that exists within the world based on target market, availability and numerous other factors. Obviously this includes shops that sell completely different things (that may not be of particular interest tothe player) or a craftsman selling the goods they produce. We've even developed a very detailed system for how every item is produced or obtained, the skills and materials involved etc.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.