[Suggestion] Prefix confusion

It's not hard to know that many prefixes in items mean that "one" is better than "another". But, sometimes it's not true, items have exactly attributes or - do not follow the "rules".

For now, I see that:

Exceptional > Heavy > Superior > Light > Crude

(Sometimes items with "heavy" are not worse or the same as "superior".)

I'll edit this post latter - to be more precise with these informations.

Lutz Persn

Seems like it usually ends up with always procuring and using the exceptional items - which doesn't necessarily mean they're better, though. I tend to think of it as a circumstantial thing, as in, which item is good for what situation. But there can be a little confusion at times when you try to compare a superiour item against a light one, as an example, since one is more of a meta-description and the other property aligned. Like, try to figure out the difference between a Radical Blade and a Sharpened Sword.

konggary

I would love more sidegrades personally. Heavy armor is obviously heavier, but provides a bit more protection. Heavy weapon would have more impact but would swing slower. A lightweight weapon would swing faster but provide less impact. Perhaps they might add some indicator by the prefix as to what it exactly does?

Lutz Persn

I would love more sidegrades personally. Heavy armor is obviously heavier, but provides a bit more protection. Heavy weapon would have more impact but would swing slower. A lightweight weapon would swing faster but provide less impact. Perhaps they might add some indicator by the prefix as to what it exactly does?
Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines there. A 'Sharp, Light Scimitar' makes more sense than an 'Unprecedented Scimitar.' The latter seems more esoteric, as if the character has the particular knowledge to recognize what makes it an unprecedented item.

Greenbrog

Insider
so confirmed from madoc light modifier actually reduces both the defensive stats AND encumbrance, while heavy does the opposite. That said light armour may become more desirable when more skills are in the game and taking any or all the encumbrance skills isn't achievable.

so confirmed from madoc light modifier actually reduces both the defensive stats AND encumbrance, while heavy does the opposite. That said light armour may become more desirable when more skills are in the game and taking any or all the encumbrance skills isn't achievable.
I make this pic to show how it's a bit confusing:
PREFIX.jpg

Attachments

Lutz Persn

That sounds neat! Picking lighter armor for more mobility makes sense, but what about the superiour or exceptional pieces? If I want mobility, in what way will it make sense to equip a superiour piece? Am I going to be stuck only with using less protective light pieces?

Chase

Insider
This is funny because I saw a heavy gambeson with less encumbrance than a light one
That was probably a heavy padded gambeson and a light layered gambeson (layered has more encumbrance).

I make this pic to show how it's a bit confusing:
-snip-
Keep in mind that the encumbrance and protection dots are only estimates and the light/heavy modifiers only change encumbrance by 20 percent(meaning that if you change 1 dot to 1.2 dots it still only shows up as 1 dot). If you want to see how it affects armor better, look at the heavier armor pieces like the plate leggings or plate armor. All of this is subject to change and balancing of course.

If I want mobility, in what way will it make sense to equip a superiour piece? Am I going to be stuck only with using less protective light pieces?
Only if you don't want to invest in the maneuvering in armor skills. Even if you don't have those skills, you can still use the more lightweight armor types like leather. Speaking of which, Madoc has teased some new leather armor that will hopefully be in the game soon™, so you will have plenty of light armor choices if that's what you want.

Lutz Persn

Only if you don't want to invest in the maneuvering in armor skills. Even if you don't have those skills, you can still use the more lightweight armor types like leather. Speaking of which, Madoc has teased some new leather armor that will hopefully be in the game soon™, so you will have plenty of light armor choices if that's what you want.
Okay, I see. I like the idea!

The good about prefix contradiction is the fact that it's making item shopping something more interesting - you will need to compare items before buy or you will just keep looking each new item, to see if a better one is there. Something sad about it is that weapons still don't have prefix - so weapon customization is far less diverse.

The bad is something that I already pointed in latter posts. Something that I didn't know is that "half points" aren't always "0,5" - good to know about it.

Here, superior > thick.

And there, superior (less emcubrance) > heavy.

11.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.