Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Bullethead

This is an historical 1st person medieval RPG. It takes place in this world here (with terrain built from satellite data) in the course of actual events in a specific place and time, namely 1403 Bohemia. Zero magic, zero monsters (other than powerful humans with armies at thier disposal going all "medieval" on your ass). The combat is based on the historical manuscripts of times and all motion-captured from modern HEMA practioners. The graphics are absolutely beautiful.

Right now, this is still in invest (rather more than purchase price)-to-play alpha but the public beta/early access is supposed to be out around the end of the year. Due to Kickstarter, a rich secret admirer, and continuing investment opportunity for passers-by (which I wonder why Bare Mettle doesn't do), they've got a budget of a few million and a staff of about 30 folks, an in-house motion-capture studio, a syphonic composer for the soundtrack, a highrise office, and such things. So this early access has every sign of actually becoming something.

I was intrigued enough to pony up for the alpha access. I like what I'm seeing. There's a nit to pick that although the HEMA-based combat is spot on, it's for UNarmored fighting. Both you and your opponent are usually in plate so should be using halfsword techinques instead of going for cuts, but the designers say this is for playability, and I tend to agree with them. It definitely looks way better to my eyse than the generic hacking and slashing of most games.

Anyway, pay up if you want it now, or wait until it goes public beta.

Don Kanaille

Insider
Backed it some time ago, and already mighty curious. Simply the look of the game is so refreshing when compared to all the other fantasy stuff (maybe with the slight exception of the Witcher, who still has some stupid stuff like Geralt´s armor, but definitely takes inspiration from historical fashion).

Though I´m a bit sad they´re not actually attempting to do armored combat correctly. As long as they slow it down a notch from real life, half swording, levering, grappling and murder stroking should be doable.

tiny lampe

Insider
Honestly I'm very glad games like KCD exist.

If you look at first person shooters and how they have evolved since their appearence, there is a noticeable tendency towards realism both in mechanics and aesthethics. Yet, the same is not true if you look at games that revolve around melee combat; the market is saturated by mindless hack&slashers featuring totally impractical weapons and armors or, if we are lucky, simplistic timing-based systems that may or may not feature Hollywood-like 'techniques'.

The fact that we have developers like BM (who remind us that physics exist) or Warhorse (who dared to strive for realism) is incredibly refreshing.

I believe that it is naive to expect realistic combat (armored or otherwise) from KCD. It's a very solid step on the right direction, for sure, but their formula needs to be iterated and refined many more times before we can point at it and say 'look, that's how you do realistic combat'. Of course, Warhorse (or any other studio for that matter) won't continue working on such a niche genre unless games like KCD become successful. That's the best thing that could happen for the fans of realistic medieval combat; if other studios get the impression that the genre is profitable, the interest to work on it will grow, and improvements and refinements will naturally happen.

I'm a bit sad that underfunded indie companies need to act as guinea pigs to see which yet-unexplored genres could be profitable but, alas, that's how things work. In any case, a toast for the brave indie companies that are pushing the industry forward.

Last edited:

Bullethead

I'm a bit sad that underfunded indie companies need to act as guinea pigs to see which yet-unexplored genres could be profitable but, alas, that's how things work. In any case, a toast for the brave indie companies that are pushing the industry forward.
I have been an "indie" dev off and on for decades so I have some perspective on this. "Indie" means going without a publisher, nothing more or less. But "indies" are all there's ever been. Devs have always been small groups with big ideas. The only occasionally become big groups with outside help. 20-odd years ago and for pretty much all the time since, that outside help came from devs selling their souls (as in editorial control) to publishing houses, who were themselves reacting to the demands of retailers selling out of brick-and-mortar stores. This resulted in the Dark Age of PC gaming with nothing but unfinished crap on the shelves, which is why there are no more brick-and-mortar PC game stores and console gaming is where all the money is today.

Then the internet came along which allowed devs to self-publish. But they had no outside help because no publisher, so they remained small and could only do so much in their spare time while working day jobs. That's been my experinece with it, at any rate. But now we have Kickstarter and such things. This isn't quite as onerous to the devs as being a slave to a publishing house, but it still has strings attached, deadlines, and all that. I think Warhorse was wise to continue an in-house version of Kickstarter and I wish Bare Mettle would follow that example. I'd give them some money if I could.

Gozer

I gave Warhorse $60 for their alpha because I wanted to try out its combat engine.

It's a pretty steep price to pay, but it's a long way until Bannerlord.

It's got potential, but no where near as much fun as Exanima.

I gave Warhorse $60 for their alpha because I wanted to try out its combat engine.

It's a pretty steep price to pay, but it's a long way until Bannerlord.

It's got potential, but no where near as much fun as Exanima.
Pretty suuuure Bannerlord is coming in 2016.

There's actually a user on this forum who works on Bannerlord come to think of it..

Dorag

@Tottel Oh based Tottel please make bannerlord's multiplayer as amazing as warband's is, I have 2200 hours logged on warband and that's *after* I bought it.

My two most anticipated games are Bannerlord and then Exanima, praise be Armagan and his team as much as I praise Madoc and his team

DesmondMem

Gonna sound cliche but my favorite kingdom Hearts game is Kingdom hearts 1

It just felt a lot more serious than the other Kingdom Hearts games, not that a silly undertone isn't okay but, I live for that drama. <3 :3

Carmap

Oh Wow, I thought no one replied to me because I never got an email Im still looking for a game. If anyone else wants to play please email me at:
david.raymond.schneideratgmaildotcom

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.