Controls feeling crisp... but dem insta-overheads T.T

MindSliver

So yeah, the update is noice, I'm digging the improved feel of the combat physics. Everything feels crisp and my little man really seems like he's swinging my axe with purpose now instead of lazily brushing it through a field of virgin wheat.

That being said, I've noticed the Insta-overhead problem seems to be a bit more pronounced now. For those of you that have not experienced this it's when an enemy has just attacked, just blocked, or sometimes when your weapons have been tied up for some reason and then will disengage and instantly throw an overhead shot so quickly that your character doesn't even attempt to defend. This happened to me maybe 3-4 obvious times since i started playing Exanima but it seems like since the latest update 6.2 I guess, I've had happen 2-3 times just tonight in the new campaign I've started. 2 of which really took off some health as they both happened with 2 handed axes in the first level.

Anyways, not sure if it's to do with the new physics or if I've just been unlucky. Anyone else notice this type of thing going on?

Fawz

Insider
It happens to me, I would say about once in every 10 fights or so. It's annoying but right now not a total deal breaker, but I can see it being infuriating when the death penalties are more severe as you are more invested in your character. Sadly I don't see this being fixed as there doesn't seem to be a clear cut problem the devs can fix. Just seems to be tied to the physics nature of the animations.

Nynuc

Insider
It happens to me, I would say about once in every 10 fights or so. It's annoying but right now not a total deal breaker, but I can see it being infuriating when the death penalties are more severe as you are more invested in your character. Sadly I don't see this being fixed as there doesn't seem to be a clear cut problem the devs can fix. Just seems to be tied to the physics nature of the animations.
nah man, I have faith that they'll fix this issue. since it only started in the last few patches it may be easy to track down

SyllaBear

I didnt have this problem... zombies yes xD
Or maybe i didnt understand well your problem. So when your weapons, enemy and you, are sticked and you separate, his weapon will go directly to your face? When that happens (weapon sticked) i keep pressing atack and moving to one side depends how the weapons are facing, then sometimes it slash my enemy.

MindSliver

I didnt have this problem... zombies yes xD
Or maybe i didnt understand well your problem. So when your weapons, enemy and you, are sticked and you separate, his weapon will go directly to your face? When that happens (weapon sticked) i keep pressing atack and moving to one side depends how the weapons are facing, then sometimes it slash my enemy.
The problem isn't so much that their weapon goes directly to the face, it just seems like 2 main things happen, 1 they throw an overhead shot directly from having their weapon bound up and they throw it extremely quickly. like ridiculously fast. and the second and more important thing is that your character doesn't seems to notice and thus doesn't attempt to defend. Now as you say if you're side stepping when it happens you may very well dodge... and with a normal overhead you can see it coming and react. but with the instant overhead you don't have time for that. as by the time you realize it's happening you're already hit. You just have to be side stepping when it happens.

SyllaBear

The problem isn't so much that their weapon goes directly to the face, it just seems like 2 main things happen, 1 they throw an overhead shot directly from having their weapon bound up and they throw it extremely quickly. like ridiculously fast. and the second and more important thing is that your character doesn't seems to notice and thus doesn't attempt to defend. Now as you say if you're side stepping when it happens you may very well dodge... and with a normal overhead you can see it coming and react. but with the instant overhead you don't have time for that. as by the time you realize it's happening you're already hit. You just have to be side stepping when it happens.
Ehmm i think ive got it... if you press constantly the left button your character will keep his weapon like if he goes to atack, but he wont. If you press the crouch when releasing the hit while going forward when the hit falls and then back it will go somehow faster. Is that what you mean?

Ehmm i think ive got it... if you press constantly the left button your character will keep his weapon like if he goes to atack, but he wont. If you press the crouch when releasing the hit while going forward when the hit falls and then back it will go somehow faster. Is that what you mean?
Nope, you're wrong, boy, he's telling that enemy's striking too fast, and that some kind of animation or calculation bug.

Array

I was a little unsure at first because I felt combat might have become easier . However after a little playing it feels like this is the case but only because I can control the character a little better. I am particularly liking big 2 handed swings that you can loop round the enemies block if you get your feet right and also shield blocking seems more fun - its more obvious and easier to angle the shield to block and also you get punished if you don't. Generally its feels like I have more input into the fight and the role of timing is more obvious. The slicker hits are great too - last match one of the the female shield/swordswomen did a lightning double slash across my throat after I left myself open - it was brutal.

having said this I was not that great at combat generally so am interested to hear what more experienced players think

Perhaps everything has been speed up a little, as to make the game look less drunken over all. Or atleast, that's what I think.

arisian

Supporter
I've seen this as well, but I don't think the behavior is completely restricted to overhands. Rather, I feel like occasionally there will be some physics glitch that results in an opponent getting a "free" attack of some kind after their weapon has hit something. It happens occasionally with side-to-side hits too, but you're more likely to block those successfully, so it's not as much of a problem. In addition to happening after weapons clash, I've also seen issues where weapons get stuck on the environment, and then snap around and hit with absurd speed and force.

The reason I think it's a physics glitch with things getting stuck is that I feel like this happens mostly with longer polearm-type weapons. Its particularly bad with polehammer, because it's both very long and very unwieldy; this means it's more likely to collide with the environment (floor, walls, cage bars, etc.). Most of the time, this isn't a problem, but occasionally it will get "stuck" for a moment; when the character tries to move/swing, it builds up force in some virtual spring until that overcomes the "stuck" force. At that point, the spring releases all its energy at once, and the weapon comes flying around in an unpredictable arc. Because the spring can generate a lot more force than player muscles, this can be deadly. Fortunately, by the time it starts to be a real serious problem (at least in the arena), you'll probably have enough armor that it will mostly do stamina damage.

It's possible that there's a separate issue with block/clash not always getting flagged correctly, as well, which may also be contributing to unblockable counter-attacks.

I'm sure this is the kind of thing that will get polished out eventually; I'm not that worried about it at the moment, though I'll admit it is frustrating when you loose a match due to a hit that doesn't seem "legitimate."

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.