When it clicks..

HeyRevolver

I finally picked up Exanima the other day after coming across it on steam multiple times, and now I am kicking myself in the nuts for not getting it sooner. I wish I would have heard about Sui Generis back when it was on KS!

Anyway, at first I was not a huge fan of the movement, camera, and combat, but I knew there was more to it than the jankiness I was first capable of. I knew it was like nothing I had ever played and I was having fun. So I stuck with it.

It took me about 20 hours to feel like I had somewhat decent control but I was consistently having more and more fun the better I got. A feeling I had not had in gaming since, I bet you can guess what comes next, Dark Souls. Once I learned how to even kind-of fight the combat became so satisfying I couldn't even compare it to anything else. It is just amazingly satisfying once it "clicks" and you can control a fight, and I know it will only get better. Now if only we could get rolls, haha.

So now here I am 32 hours in and I can finally whack motherfuckers in the face on a very consistent basis, and I am hooked for life.

TLDR; Exanima is fucking awesome. How was your first 20-30 hours with the game?

konggary

It's part of a rare breed of games: the kind that don't hold your hand. It lets you make mistakes, and leaves it up to you to learn from them.

As for the controls, yeah they're difficult to learn initially, but they allow for an extremely satisfying play style.

HeyRevolver

It's part of a rare breed of games: the kind that don't hold your hand. It lets you make mistakes, and leaves it up to you to learn from them.

As for the controls, yeah they're difficult to learn initially, but they allow for an extremely satisfying play style.
It is definitely a very capable control scheme. I am still learning, but I am starting to see how precise you can be with your attacks if you can get your cursor in the right spot. Nice avatar btw \[T]/

Welcome to the Forums, and shall we discover, dicuss and do whatever else we do on the Forums on all things Sui-Generis/Exanima. Or not.

I'd shitpost more, but this forum isn't big enough for that.

MindSliver

I remember the good old days when I was getting my ass kicked by the zed in the first door on the left XD. now I barely even move just a step here or a step there with a quick stab to the belly or back hand cross the face to put them down. As much as the combat I love the whole philosophy behind the game. In most games I can barely be bother to take in the scenery because I know everything that's important will have a quest marker pointing directly to it. I find myself in Exanima entering a room and looking across every table, moving the camera to look into barrels and what not hoping to discover something I haven't seen yet. I have a whole box full of treasures, each book, each scroll and any quaint little object I find intriguing tucked away, not because I can pawn it for gold I don't need but because it's interesting, it has soul, it has memory and that's what pulls me in most about Exanima. I can't wait for Sui Generis. I'm sure I'll lose way too much time in it haha.

yeah, I love the difficulty of this game. it took me about 18 hours just to get semi competent too. now I have 185 hours of game play under my belt and that's just crawling through the dungeons. I still have the new Arena mode to look forward to.

yeah, I love the difficulty of this game. it took me about 18 hours just to get semi competent too. now I have 185 hours of game play under my belt and that's just crawling through the dungeons. I still have the new Arena mode to look forward to.
185? damn... I've still only got 165, but then again, CS:GO has been taking all of my game time..

HeyRevolver

Damn! You will have a lot of fun in arena, and probably be able to rack up 185 more hours in it. I've only made it to the 4th level once in 105 hours because 100 of those hours have been in the arena!

Don Kanaille

Insider
It took me a while as well, and I started off slowly with the combat beta before campaign mode was even implemented. Even though I had combat practice, I got my ass handed to me in the campaign because I was not used to such low-grade weapons and every injury being so fatal. Besides the fact that it took me ages figuring out how to open a door, I died numerous times and became quite frustrated in between. I had no idea how big the dungeon was and with the snails pace I advanced it felt like I could be lost there forever before I reach some kind of checkpoint (the earlierst one was the end of level one... and level one was and still is by far the hardest part, especially if you stick with a "kill everything" mentality).

But eventually it all comes together, general behavior rules for the campaign as well as combat and it is indeed satisfying beyond belief.

Fdel

Ilike the crawling atmosphere the no hands holding kind of gameplay.
But after 30 hours i m still babling in the combat.
I can win my share but it still far from expert. I just think controls could be a little less counter intuitive.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.