Thoughts and Ideas General

Avramovic

Supporter
Some things I've noticed while abusing the new Arena mode for the last two days: there is a major lack of accessible, cheap low-level gear - combination of high prices and poor "refresh rate" or armory causes me to be seriously underpowered in first two tiers; in Novice, I get slaughtered due to high prices of gear that is there from the start. Also, regular and exceptional variants of the same thing (for example, a simple gambeson and exceptional gambeson) literally cost the same amount and it is up to the whim of RNG whether I'll be lucky enough to get the good stuff that may enable me to survive longer and save money in process.

(possible) Solution: Limit the RNG, correct the prices of regular, improved and exceptional gear accordingly; if possible, tie the merch available in the store to the actual level of player's character. There is nothing more disheartening than to watch super-expensive plate armor pieces when I'm inept and struggling trough fights because I can't even get a damn cloth tunic in the store.

p.s.: Looting enemies has zero effect on the store - I get what it wants to show me, not what I've "unlocked", contrary to the popular myth that defeating enemies makes their stuff available for purchase

Murf

There will be a trader hireling that you can have keep an eye out for items and purchase items for you. You are correct, looting enemies in arena does nothing. Only time it is helpful is when in an elimination match and you can take gear from one match to the next. But you still cannot keep any of it afterwards nor does it have any bearing on what the shop carries.

Pengman19

I hope a sheathing system is implemented in the arena. I'd love to have a poleaxe as my primary weapon, but have an arming sword or a mace to fall back to as a secondary/sidearm weapon. It would also be nice to see it in the story mode, since it's kinda odd and immersion breaking to have your weapon appear out of thin air.
I agree completely. I would love it if they got away from "Elder Scrolls-esque" kind of inventory, where you can carry SHITLOADS of stuff, but none of it is visible on your character.

You have to eventually get a pouch, backpack type deal, to carry consumables, books, papers, etc., and then you can only carry up to three weapons (one primary weapon, one secondary, and a smaller "sidearm" type weapon).

In order to carry multiple weapons, you can carry one in each arm, but if you want to also carry a torch, you have to acquire proper sheathing "belts", weapon holsters, etc., in order to carry your extra weapons.

You can only sheath your torch if you extinguish the flame, making it necessary to acquire a source of flame to re-light it (think any nearby fire to re-light it, or eventually acquiring a flint and steel to carry in your pocket).

A game so rooted in physics should also up the realism in regards to amount you can carry AND HOW you carry items (as aforementioned, actually VISIBLY seeing how and where you are carrying items).

MikeHBS

Don't know if people have commented about this or not but I think we should be able to have a torch on the off-hand while carrying a two-handed weapon while not in battle, since the character only uses one hand to carry it around. But when you enter combat mode, either drop the torch or put it in the inventory.

asdorn

I'd like to start by saying that Exanima has exceeded allof my expectations and that it is one of my ll time favourite games; I am soooo happy I decided to give this game a try. Now I've got three ideas, all of which I think would be great additions to the game.

1: I'd like to see secondary attacks. For example using your shield to ram an opponent or kicking their legs.

These secondary attacks wouldn't deal much damage but would be used more for knocking the opponent off balance. They would not succeed all the time since they are situational like everything is in combat. Imagine during that first rush towards each other in the arena your enemy suddenly ducks behind his shield and rams your character right off his feet. Or in close quarters you and your opponent are locked tightly together and niether can get a good hit in, than you get a good kick in pushing him/her back a bit giving you enough room to get a crucial overhead strike.

Now these attacks can be countered quite easily as well, remember that opponent shield rushing you? Well just step to the side, let him stumble to a stop as he tries to turn, than nail him in the side or back. It would take a second to lower the shield and get back into the fight after a miss with the charge. And the kick? Well simply, jump back, wait and charge forward as the opponent is regaining their balance. So you see the secondary attacks would not be overpowered, there are pros and cons to using them.(Sorry if this was confusing, i'm not the best at writing out my thoughts in a simple way to understand :D)

2: Another idea that I've been thinking about is a burn damage for the torch, because getting hit by a flaming stick would burn. How many times have you touched something hot whether its an appliance or a flame, now think how easy it was to get a burn or blister from that heat. Since this game is realistic i think it would be a great idea to add in a fire damage for the torch.

3: My final suggestion is to add a win counter in the arena, so I can see how often I have bested an opponent(maybe even in each arena type as well?). I think it would be a nice little addition to the arena mode.

Jackm108

I'd like to see thrust attacks on maces changed to a low to high swing, as thrusting with a mace seems like an ineffective use of the weapon. I'd also like to see crossbows implemented eventually, though it will take some thought to find a way to make accurate long range shots from an isometric perspective.

MikeHBS

I'd like to see thrust attacks on maces changed to a low to high swing, as thrusting with a mace seems like an ineffective use of the weapon. I'd also like to see crossbows implemented eventually, though it will take some thought to find a way to make accurate long range shots from an isometric perspective.
Innefective? It saved me so many times and it's so damn useful. Sure, it might not be effective as a spear or something but it does quite the job

dustbiter

Can you see through this helmet? The pinholes look too small. Googling medieval pinhole visor helmet doesn't show up any helmet that is without an eye slit and with such tiny pinholes.

Can you see through this helmet? The pinholes look too small. Googling medieval pinhole visor helmet doesn't show up any helmet that is without an eye slit and with such tiny pinholes.
Hmm... just few minutes of googling:
here
http://bottega.avalonceltic.com/catalogo/prodotto_13/en__armours_medieval_helmets_basinet_helmet.php
and here
http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-22564-medieval-bascinet-with-face-plate.aspx
also there is evolution of helms (where visored bacinet is shown)
PS And do you know these pinhole glasses - they're really effective:

Last edited:

dustbiter

@Hedgehog-of-Fog
The second example looks similar to the one I posted in the screenshot. That's a relief. The first one seems to have larger holes. And of course the pinhole glasses have really high hole density so I assumed you are joking.

@Hedgehog-of-Fog
The second example looks similar to the one I posted in the screenshot. That's a relief. The first one seems to have larger holes. And of course the pinhole glasses have really high hole density so I assumed you are joking.
Well, if even the first helmet have larger holes then it counts too. You shouldn't throw it away just because armourer haven't a thinner bodkin (another joke, ha-ha). You wouldn't notice the difference if it has thinner holes ('cause it will be a visor with the same holes as on the second helmet).
The second example looks similar to the one you posted just because both helmets are bascinets so yeah - they have similar appearance, it's obvious.

Ghoulie11

I'd like to start by saying that Exanima has exceeded allof my expectations and that it is one of my ll time favourite games; I am soooo happy I decided to give this game a try. Now I've got three ideas, all of which I think would be great additions to the game.

1: I'd like to see secondary attacks. For example using your shield to ram an opponent or kicking their legs.

These secondary attacks wouldn't deal much damage but would be used more for knocking the opponent off balance. They would not succeed all the time since they are situational like everything is in combat. Imagine during that first rush towards each other in the arena your enemy suddenly ducks behind his shield and rams your character right off his feet. Or in close quarters you and your opponent are locked tightly together and niether can get a good hit in, than you get a good kick in pushing him/her back a bit giving you enough room to get a crucial overhead strike.

Now these attacks can be countered quite easily as well, remember that opponent shield rushing you? Well just step to the side, let him stumble to a stop as he tries to turn, than nail him in the side or back. It would take a second to lower the shield and get back into the fight after a miss with the charge. And the kick? Well simply, jump back, wait and charge forward as the opponent is regaining their balance. So you see the secondary attacks would not be overpowered, there are pros and cons to using them.(Sorry if this was confusing, i'm not the best at writing out my thoughts in a simple way to understand :D)

2: Another idea that I've been thinking about is a burn damage for the torch, because getting hit by a flaming stick would burn. How many times have you touched something hot whether its an appliance or a flame, now think how easy it was to get a burn or blister from that heat. Since this game is realistic i think it would be a great idea to add in a fire damage for the torch.

3: My final suggestion is to add a win counter in the arena, so I can see how often I have bested an opponent(maybe even in each arena type as well?). I think it would be a nice little addition to the arena mode.
Ramming and tying an opponent up are already technically possible with the physics engine. Ramming isn't very effective, mostly because of how moving in combat works. And all you have to do to tie an opponent up is to step inside of their swing. I would like to see an ability that, when you have a shield equipped and take a step in combat, your character pulls the shield up and onto the shoulder. As it is now when you take a step, the way your characters arm pendulums reduces the momentum, then when it swings forward pulls your character off balance. That makes sense for a person who isn't used to using a shield. As you get more proficient, you learn to control the extra weight. The kicking on the other hand would be rather difficult to implement, the characters are rather clumsy, especially when it comes to how they move their feet. Getting the physics engine to work with a character on one foot would require a lot of cheating to keep the character from falling over, or even pushing themselves backwards on contact.

They've already talked about adding burn damage and the ability to light things on fire.

And a statistics page in the management screen would be nice, allowing you to see which hirelings are performing better than others, and in which match type. Or have a record shown next to the fighters names in the match screen for the match type that you have selected.

One thing that I would like to see is when a character falls, they should attempt to break their fall by landing on their hands or elbows and knees. That way if they land in a stable manner, they can get back up quicker.

Tyon

One thing that I would like to see is when a character falls, they should attempt to break their fall by landing on their hands or elbows and knees. That way if they land in a stable manner, they can get back up quicker.
Never thought of this and now whenever I see enemies fall forward I can't help but laugh.

Tyon

The hilt on the right sword is pretty counter-productive, it would encourage weapons to slide down and hit the user in the wrist, as opposed to the left sword's hilt which wouldn't enable a weapon to slide down and could even catch an opponents blade.

I normally wouldn't care about such trivial things since it's just a game and some aesthetic choices are taken to make more unique weapons and create variety, but given the physics based nature of the game, I think something even as little as the shape of a hilt could make a difference in whether or not you take a hit.

Hastur

@Tyon

How did you manage to put a trunk in your inventory?

Also, I don't know if the devs said anything about this, but is sheathing/unsheathing something they might implement in the game? I know they plan on having a lot of variety in weapons and my idea could be a bit of a hassle to realize, sheath/unsheath animations for each type of weapon and meshes for each weapons would be quite redundant to make especially when it's not a priority for the devs. I was just wondering if devs thought about implementing this later and if they did and didn't like the idea i totally respect it, cus if i were to choose between weapon variety and some minor animations i would totally take weapon variety.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.