Mounts and animals

I know it will be difficult for the developers to make equine simulations and movement but they did mention in a past interview that they will make mounts for travel and such, my question is what kind of mounts will be see, just horses or also some other fantasy like creatures, and also what kind of wild and domesticated animals will there be. Personally im just happy with horses, give me a nice black horse that is loyal and im happy, but if i can go hunting for boars or bears in the forest on my horse thats nice to :), also on the subject will there be mounted combat?

Infidel

Insider
If horses are introduced as mounts I'd be very keen to know if Necromancy could be used to reanimate a dead horse and use that? Or perhaps a skeletal mount is pushing beyond the low fantasy setting...

walltar

Insider
If horses are introduced as mounts I'd be very keen to know if Necromancy could be used to reanimate a dead horse and use that? Or perhaps a skeletal mount is pushing beyond the low fantasy setting...
Well skeletons are in so why not undead horses. But do you really want to sit on bunch of stinking rotting flesh? Also villagers won't be wery fond of your steed droppings.

Infidel

Insider
Well skeletons are in so why not undead horses. But do you really want to sit on bunch of stinking rotting flesh? Also villagers won't be wery fond of your steed.
If we can use horses and Necromancy, then I know for sure I'd like to be able to do that. Probably not the best way to make friends but a great way to make an entrance if your intentions are less than friendly.

BigT2themax

Insider
If we can use horses and Necromancy, then I know for sure I'd like to be able to do that. Probably not the best way to make friends but a great way to make an entrance if your intentions are less than friendly.
Ohhhh, man, that would be AWESOME for playing an evil badass! I can picture it now, you ride into the village atop your skeletal demonic horse wearing some awesome armor and you just start killing everyone and resurrecting them and setting stuff on fire.

It's like, for once, you can be the cliche bad guy in an RPG.

Infidel

Insider
Ohhhh, man, that would be AWESOME for playing an evil badass! I can picture it now, you ride into the village atop your skeletal demonic horse wearing some awesome armor and you just start killing everyone and resurrecting them and setting stuff on fire.

It's like, for once, you can be the cliche bad guy in an RPG.
Damn buddy, we need to play coop together.:D

Komuflage

Insider
There is a difference between Realism and Realism ;)
For instance a game featuring Orcs can still be realistic, sure orcs doesn't exist in our world, but who is to say they don't exist on another planet?

However, being able to dual wield two 500pounds swords that are 3 times your size and having a backpack that can fit an infinitive amount of items is not really realistic ;)

And since the game features "magic" I don't see why a undead horse would not fit ^_^

Although in my opinion, it should still have flesh on it

Infidel

Insider
There is a difference between Realism and Realism ;)
For instance a game featuring Orcs can still be realistic, sure orcs doesn't exist in our world, but who is to say they don't exist on another planet?

However, being able to dual wield two 500pounds swords that are 3 times your size and having a backpack that can fit an infinitive amount of items is not really realistic ;)

And since the game features "magic" I don't see why a undead horse would not fit ^_^

Although in my opinion, it should still have flesh on it
I agree on all points, though I'd like progressive decomposition of dead things so I could start with a reanimated horse that looks pretty normal (it's fresh meat after all) but after a day in the sun it starts to smell and go a little off colour. As time passes it steadily becomes more putrid and bony, like the image you linked. Depending on its state I'd love to see NPC reactions transition between:
  1. Nice horse, looks like one I used to own.
  2. He doesn't look to healthy, and smells awful too.
  3. Holy crap your horse is dead and still working!?!

Honestly I think we got to many hopes and dreams, even with a larger budget i dont think they would grant us this wish to reanimate anything even mounts. To be quite honest many developers these days dont take many chances for inovation, or to give the players what they want, I'm not saying Bare Mettle wount give us some things we want, but realisticaly they cant make undead horses that decay over time. Me il be ok with a normal stalion, but a undead horse would still be bad ass :D

Infidel

Insider
realisticaly they cant make undead horses that decay over time
I disagree.

Madoc has suggested we may get horses as mounts, and reanimating the dead seems to already be in place. It's a very small step to go from there to reanimating a dead horse and using that as a mount. SG also currently supports morph targets for body types and skin appearance (for elderly characters) will be modified using texturing and normal maps. With this tech already built adapting it to work for horses wouldn't be a huge step.

My take on decomposition of undead is you add an undead body type that looks scrawny and half starved along with a putrefying skin texture with normal mapped wounds. Visible bones could also be done using texturing and normal maps. Then morph between the original state and the undead one depending on how long since death.

Madoc's a better programmer than me and it looks pretty easy from where I'm sitting. Even if they don't add it for lack of time, I hope they'll build the game so it allows modders to add it later.

Given what we already know it seems perfectly reasonable to me to assume that reanimating a dead horse to use as a mount will be possible. The thing is I expect 99% of NPCs to react in a very negative way if they see you interacting with the undead. Either fleeing in fear of their lives if they are not combat ready or grouping together to kill you if they are. In the low fantasy SG world I imagine it will be very unwise to stroll into a settlement showing any signs of thaumaturgic ability, let alone riding a half rotten dead horse lol.

On the subject of mythical beasts that might feature one I would definitely like to see is a unicorn. Just one. It should be very difficult to locate & possess unique magical properties. There could be deep & meaningful reasons both for & against killing it once located.

Infidel

Insider
The thing is I expect 99% of NPCs to react in a very negative way if they see you interacting with the undead. Either fleeing in fear of their lives if they are not combat ready or grouping together to kill you if they are. In the low fantasy SG world I imagine it will be very unwise to stroll into a settlement showing any signs of thaumaturgic ability, let alone riding a half rotten dead horse lol.
More than likely a little unwise, most definitely a lot of fun. I don't imagine it as being something that would have any real purpose or advantage in game beyond adding a greater sense of realism. It would after all be very strange to be able to reanimate anything except horses, or to be prevented from riding a reanimated horse if you can ride a living one. I'd love to play a game where messing with this sort of thing is possible but won't go unnoticed by witnesses and can get you into trouble.

Strange to reanimate anything except horses? I have to disagree with that. The ability to reanimate that which is dead should extend to all that is living. So anything in game that is killable should be resurrectable!

Infidel

Insider
The ability to reanimate that which is dead should extend to all that is living. So anything in game that is killable should be resurrectable!
And that is exactly what I said. If we could reanimate a person, cat, dog or chicken but not a horse, it would be strange. So we agree completely except on that one part where you said you disagree. Wouldn't you agree?

:D

And now the big problem is Bare Mettel have not announced anything on the subject sadly :( i would hate necromany to be just a nother diablo clone ability where you spawn a zombie or skeleton out of the ground.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.