Inventory and inventory ideas...

Syllabear3

Right now inventory is getting really uncomfortable. Both because of the limit of things that you can carry and the space of them without any kind of guide (not to mention the bugs that make things disappear).

One of my ideas is that items cant overlap each other, they cant be one upside on another... like having a hitbox. This hit box can be smaller than the item itself so you can make good use of your inventoy space.
Inventory space limit will be the amount of hit boxes that can hold.
Bouchers and little boxes will have certain bonuses for your inventory space, so they will be worth finding.

Well, thats my little idea, what do you think?
Overall adding limit to inventory is somehow a good idea, because being a walking black hole is hilarious.

Probably another idea would be relate amount of space based on character's strength, and adding skills or items that allow you to expand that space (that will be limited ofc, to prevent walking blackholes).

ps: maybe i should have added this to feedback, but i wanted some explanation about the current inventory system.
I find myself somehow annoyed by it.

Weapons...
They should be carried by our characters in they back/wasit not inventory. Weapons should be "ghostly", they cant be used for block hits. They can be switched with "r" (guessing 1234 keys will be used for skills).
Limits: 2 in back (two hands), crossed if two; 2 waist (each side, for dual hand); one set equiped.

And why not sheathe animations?

Just throwing ideas.

Last edited:

gugand

I dislike the inventory as is. Anything you can think different can't be worse than now.
I wish have some indicator for understanding how much space is occupied/avaible.
A button for ordering stuff inside inventory and/or some button that popup window with a list of items of a kind (documents, potions, weapons, etc...).
Another think that i like for armors/clothes: a way to understand which part of body and layer it will occupy.
If i am not asking too much i will be pleased of a summary of defence. Maybe a roteable 3d model of body with colours for showing the level of body protection once selected the damage source. The dots are not enough for understanding the body protection. The "coverage" is not that good. It is ok, we can look at our 3d model, but maybe we can optimize the encumbrance over protection, and point (and money) usage in arena mode.
Maybe that is redundant, but it give me more control on what i am doing.

Syllabear3

I think right now is by amount of items, not sure.
Maybe it can be switched to weight (separated from bodyarmor weight). Or slots... or why not both?

About gear, yes it takes some time to understand all the layers, but believe me you get used pretty quickly to it.
I am not against a "guide" for new players tho.

To be honest i didn't sit myself into understanding protection... now i guide myself about the amount of weight my character has, trying not going beyond 4 points and covering head, chest and arms the most posible.
Most dangerous weapons are the ones that uses slash, piercing and crushing blow, they do permanent damage. But having nice amount of slash protection is a good way to go, because either crushing blow or piercing weapons are easy to face (going weightless with fair slash protection until you learn weight passives).

gugand

After a while you can understand the layer system, but there are some kind of gloves (plate gloves if i remember well) that occupy also the bracers slot. There are 4 layers for the torso and it is not easily remember which layer is taken by a cloth, a tunic or gambeson etc. I am asking just for an indicator. When there will be added a new kind of cloth/jacket or other things i don't like waste my time on testing and hoping that i will remember that for the next time i play. I got some difficulties also cause i pause the game for long periods of time and it happened that i forgot such details. Anyways it is something that ease the life for novice players and i suppose that it don't take too much time to developers

Syllabear3

With diablo? what?
Explain please.
--

About clothing it could be easily done just by texting:
-"gambeson: layer 1; chest/arm".
-"long sleeved chain shirt: layer 2; protects: chest/arm".
-"short sleeved chain shirt: layer 2; protects: chest/shoulder".

And so on. It shouldnt be that hard to do and will help a lot both noobs and people with learning disabilities.
Or just adding layer *number* will be most efficient imo.

Last edited:

Homiccus

Please note, I shall be selective of quotes here.
One of my ideas is that items cant overlap each other, they cant be one upside on another... like having a hitbox. This hit box can be smaller than the item itself so you can make good use of your inventoy space.
Inventory space limit will be the amount of hit boxes that can hold.
This is exactly what Diablo-style inventory looks like. Armour takes 6 squares, potion: 1, helmet: 4, sword: 3, dagger: 2 etc. This inventory is limited by volume and not by weight. This adds unnecessary in my opinion restriction on where you may put your stuff and in what way.
Why would you want the "sort" button? I don't want the game to do the work for me. I enjoyed Ultima-VIII-style open backpack, where efficient inventory management played a huge part (as there were no button-shortcuts you could mash to drink the health potion).
I don't want to be rude here, but judging by your screenshots Syllabear you just hoard stuff (which is fine by me, but please don't moan that you then can't find your red breastplate among twenty four other pieces of chest armour). ;)
-"gambeson: layer 1; chest/arm".
Maybe a roteable 3d model of body with colours for showing the level of body protection once selected the damage source.
This. Gimme all the numbers and colour-coded protection values, World-of-Tanks-style, so I can optimize my build for available points and shave off the unneeded load etc. itp. and so forth. Let's go a step further and ask the devs to add the DPS, and piercing values for weapons against different types of armour so we can make a big-ass spreadsheet what to use in which situation...
Apologies for sounding overly sarcastic, but, again, Exanima is not your average cookie-cutter AAA title. Please, let it stay this way.
I actually like the way it goes at the moment, guess-timating the level of protection a pair of gauntlets I found on a cadaver have. So far everything seems to be logical and working similar to real-life. I mean, the battlefield scavengers do not go around with calipers, measuring thickness of armour they strip off the dead, only to assign it abstract points of protection...

What I'm trying to convey here is a message to, maybe, stop "powergaming" and just play the game. Don't memorize which part goes where, it's not a puzzle game. I recall Madoc saying the item and inventory system is designed for the player to wear what they prefer and like and not what's the most powerful. This I can go with...

gugand

Powerplaying is not a bad thing as you are talking about. It is someting that anyone does with experiments. But i don't understand why i can't get some help by the game?
They use balls and half balls to give us idea of equipment characteristic, why don't give us the sum of balls? Why i have to check every single armor part or cloth by myself? The things are complicated by different layers and slot occupied by every single piece. 3d model is ok, but i can't easily understand if my armor set is good against sword, blunt or piercing damage and where. Maybe i prefer more protection on chest against piercing damage and more protection against blunt damage on arms. I want that cause i want be less encumbered as possible. It is my choice and i want my life easier. I don't like waste my time on searching the best equipment set in my tastes.
Now i have enough practice in game mechanichs to do that, but it took a lot of time.

Syllabear3

Please note, I shall be selective of quotes here.

This is exactly what Diablo-style inventory looks like. Armour takes 6 squares, potion: 1, helmet: 4, sword: 3, dagger: 2 etc. This inventory is limited by volume and not by weight. This adds unnecessary in my opinion restriction on where you may put your stuff and in what way.
Why would you want the "sort" button? I don't want the game to do the work for me. I enjoyed Ultima-VIII-style open backpack, where efficient inventory management played a huge part (as there were no button-shortcuts you could mash to drink the health potion).
I don't want to be rude here, but judging by your screenshots Syllabear you just hoard stuff (which is fine by me, but please don't moan that you then can't find your red breastplate among twenty four other pieces of chest armour). ;)
Well, then you completly missunderstand what im trying to say...
You can place it wherever you want in your inventory, but as you know items may have a density (i hope you know what it is) and they would have a hit box (volume) to prevent them to overlap and a weight (mass).

We are already really limited in amount and space... im trying to improve that.
If you still cant understand i will show you with drawings, just ask for it.

I didnt understood what you meant with hoard stuff... i didnt say nothing like that.
Oh, im glad you liked my powerful screenshots ;)

This. Gimme all the numbers and colour-coded protection values, World-of-Tanks-style, so I can optimize my build for available points and shave off the unneeded load etc. itp. and so forth. Let's go a step further and ask the devs to add the DPS, and piercing values for weapons against different types of armour so we can make a big-ass spreadsheet what to use in which situation...
Apologies for sounding overly sarcastic, but, again, Exanima is not your average cookie-cutter AAA title. Please, let it stay this way.
I actually like the way it goes at the moment, guess-timating the level of protection a pair of gauntlets I found on a cadaver have. So far everything seems to be logical and working similar to real-life. I mean, the battlefield scavengers do not go around with calipers, measuring thickness of armour they strip off the dead, only to assign it abstract points of protection...

What I'm trying to convey here is a message to, maybe, stop "powergaming" and just play the game. Don't memorize which part goes where, it's not a puzzle game. I recall Madoc saying the item and inventory system is designed for the player to wear what they prefer and like and not what's the most powerful. This I can go with...
You are overreacting over this. I even said if you dont want a wall of text they could just add the "layer x", even that would do.
Or maybe a newbie guide... i personally dont have any kind of problem with layers, since its really easy to remember (and i dont have good memory).

And i will repeat this, sadly this is a game, no real life.
If it would be real life-like kind of game, we wouldnt even have an inventory (i would like that). We would just have space to carry weapons in our back, few pots and keys that we would carry in a pack at the side of our character. It could be destroyed by a hit and would add weight to our armour.

I would also like real life like wounds and trauma etc...

I would like fast paced fights, right now is slow as fuck and boring.

I am all for realism but developers dont want that. So lets just feed them ideas to improve the game the most reasonably posible, taking in account this is a game.

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.