What a shame...

Rob

Whilst it's been made clear that this will be an isometric game, I can envisage that there may be certain opportunities to exploit that beautiful skyline...

Perhaps there could be some controls for altering the angle/location of the camera relative to the character, e.g. using the numpad. With some key (e.g. home) to return to default camera angle.

Whilst this is not intended behaviour, I believe that this game should be moddable... anyone who REALLY wants to see the sky should be able to make it happen. Madoc has already demonstrated this capability in the pitch video.

Not to forget that we get nice reflections of the sky in the water!!!

Rob

It's more of a shame that Sui Generis isn't getting a reception on the same order of magnitude as Star Citizen...

Clearly the space fans are out en masse... but where are the RPG fans? Under a stone???

Rob

But RPGs haven't really seen any innovation in years. Witcher 2 is probably the closest IMO, although there's still room for improvement. For isometric RPGs, nothing has come close to "good enough". I honestly can't think of a single RPG that ticks all the boxes, in terms of gameplay, storyline, graphics, physics, immersion etc. Given that there are supposedly so many RPG fans, I can't believe that so few of them appear to want better RPGs in future! Surely people aren't satiated by what's out there at present?!

Madoc

Project Lead
Star citizen has had huge media coverage, it's all over the relevant major publications. Chris Roberts is practically a celebrity. The game looks great but with that kind of visibility even a bad pacman clone might have raised millions.

No one knows us. We have some cool things to show but we don't have a game yet. We have an original concept and lots of unconventional ideas but that's not helping us at all, it seems a lot of people don't understand what we want to do so they can't just say "that looks like fun, I'll back it".

We're pretty sure the whole UK Kickstarter credit card transaction is stalling a lot of people who might have backed a project more impulsively.

Rob

Well, if all else fails and the Kickstarter campaign doesn't reach the goal, you could always try running a campaign directly from your website. Two thirds of the money Star Citizen got was pledged on their website... probably due to problems with Kickstarter also...

Just being on Kickstarter has given Sui Generis a whole load of publicity, and over 3000 people have already put their money where their mouth is.

I noticed you've been featured on guru3d, rpgwatch, and even Stephen Fry has tweeted about you. I assume you've contacted all of the big PC and tech websites asking them to feature your campaign, e.g. on hexus.net, tom's hardware, hardware cannucks, techpowerup, techradar, bittech, etc.?

Serran

Hey guys, I just registered after floating around Kickstarter this afternoon at work. After seeing the videos of the game, as well as the remaining days left for the project to reach half the goal, it is absolutely astonishing that you haven't been able to raise awareness and money more than triple of what you were asking.

The engine, design, look, feel, and meticulous details put into this are beyond phenomenal. I wrote an email to both bloggers I know from IGN and Gizmodo in hopes that they will write up an article/review about this game.

I can't even begin to say how impressed I am with what you guys have done on your own. This deserves to be funded. Hell, if I was an investor, or had any kind of available funds to throw, I'd fund this entire project.

Tony

Insider
I think Madoc has the right idea. It's sad that so many gamers have such little imagination that they can't realize the potential of what Sui Generis is attempting to accomplish. The innovation is what makes Sui Generis so awesome, but it's also one of the things holding it back. Until it's blatantly obvious that the game is awesome (after release) people will get caught up on things like "it looks like they're drunk!" instead of seeing the potential of the end result. This is why generic, proven formulas sell so well (and why it's hard for developers with creative/innovative game concepts to find investors).

Reactions: Rob
I don't like this, I joined when the forum was small and felt like I could get into a small community and suddenly there were just tons of new people with the same idea. I MISS FEELING SPECIAL.

leafspring

Insider
We have an original concept and lots of unconventional ideas but that's not helping us at all, it seems a lot of people don't understand what we want to do so they can't just say "that looks like fun, I'll back it".
No offense but this is mostly your own fault I'm afraid.
I'm a huge RPG fan, I'm a tech nut and I'm willing to spend money to support games and developers (being one myself, although not of games atm). And yet even I had a difficult time getting behind your game to the point that I wanted to support it (which I did just some hours ago, thank your writer :p ).

As you said, people don't know you and they don't know what to expect. Problem is, you're not telling them either.
You can't expect people to read for an hour and maybe even visit the forums to understand your vision. There are far too many projects out there on Kickstarter to do that for every single one.
On Kickstarter it is the first impression that sells your game and the first impression of Sui Generis is 'generic fantasy with some nice physics'. And since most people aren't willing to put a lot of effort into getting a more thorough impression, this is what sticks. Sad but true.

Madoc

Project Lead
Absolutely, we've said many times that we did a terrible, terrible job with our presentation. Our pitch video is awful but we only had a small window to do it and some mishaps. In retrospect we probably should have regrouped and tried to do a better presentation but we had this silly idea that the Kickstarter UK launch would be a big deal in terms of media coverage. Kickstarter only gave us 3 weeks notice for the UK launch and we weren't ready.

Psychomorph

Insider
leafspring is unfortunately spot on. Sui Generis got me instantly, because of two things: 1) "Low-fantasy", because I love that. The media is glutted with high-ish fantasy these days. 2) "Physics based", because I love everything realistic. And there is too little of that (Call Of Duty is not the kind of realistic that I mean).

But I don't think there are many gamers who have their priorities set like that. It looks that you could still have luck with this KS campaign. Shame though that there is no chance for stretch goals.

Tony

Insider
leafspring is unfortunately spot on. Sui Generis got me instantly, because of two things: 1) "Low-fantasy", because I love that. The media is glutted with high-ish fantasy these days. 2) "Physics based", because I love everything realistic. And there is too little of that (Call Of Duty is not the kind of realistic that I mean).

But I don't think there are many gamers who have their priorities set like that. It looks that you could still have luck with this KS campaign. Shame though that there is no chance for stretch goals.
Yes, stretch goals give people reasons to not only pledge, but to increase their pledge when a goal is getting close to being met. This worked wonders for the Star Citizen campaign. They turned the stretch goals into a sort of game. They would reveal a goal only when so much money had been donated. In fact, they ran the entire campaign in a similar fashion. The guys who ran it are definitely skilled at sparking interest and getting people to pledge.

Dark0ne

Supporter
I think with the right pitch, Sui Generis could have easily gotten £200k plus. It's really sad to see it lagging like this, and while I'm still quietly confident that the game is going to be funded by a late surge of interested parties, I can't help but feel if this Kickstarter was cancelled, and the appropriate amount of time and effort was invested in really pitching this game then it could be smashing that £150,000 barrier.

I pumped the game on a recent Nexus site blog post and a lot of the comments were excited by the engine showcased in the pitch video, but were utterly perplexed by what you had planned for the actual game. People are pledging for a game, not an engine.

Throne

Insider
You guys are right, this could have been presented in a way that appealed to a much larger audience. I think of all the text on the entire page, the GTA + Morrowind reference may have garnered more backers than any other detail. Really need to focus on having solid PR standards going forward.

Any chance we can have a second kickstarter just for stretch goals?

Rob

You guys are right, this could have been presented in a way that appealed to a much larger audience. I think of all the text on the entire page, the GTA + Morrowind reference may have garnered more backers than any other detail. Really need to focus on having solid PR standards going forward.

Any chance we can have a second kickstarter just for stretch goals?
I see what you're saying, and I agree that there could have been a pitch that appealed to a wider audience... hell, I was one of the people saying that they should have tried to appeal to a wider audience in order to get more pledges...

But, lets face it, GTA + Morrowind just doesn't do it justice!!!

I'm glad that Bare Mettle simply aren't willing to sell their souls! The required/desired Kickstarter target has been achieved, so clearly the marketing strategy worked!!!

Throne

Insider
Exactly, and I think the single-most important aspect of this project is that their initial release date is NOT in 2013. May 2014 will give this project the right amount of time to release a solid game being created by a small dev team.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.