high fantasy version?, other themes of RPG for the engine

Should the engine BM created be used for other settings?

• Total voters

Dakkafex

Insider
So,

i know i might be committing a little heresy here, but as a lover of everything that is high fantasy but, will there ever be(not now maybe later) a version/add-on where the theme is high fantasy, or heck even sci fi .

The engine created here is a truly unique tool and it would be a real shame if it would be limited to just one game or setting, this genre(isometric(y) rpg) already has been in a sag for a while now.

In my mind i would love to be able to play as a lizardman, fight a big dragon or flaming demon, with a spell that might knock out a wall into another room and let a bunch of smaller pests flood in, which i have to fight off with a friend.

but that's just me dreaming, with mod support maybe possible?

A lot of work goes into creating a dedicated mod toolset for users. BM has stated before they'd love to do it but they're unsure whether or not is possible to do so. Especially upon launch. We're all hoping a mod toolset will, eventually, be available. But we'll just have to wait and see.

Scarecrow

Insider
I think the game engine created has tons of potential for other themes and different settings and so on. Can definitely see it being used in a sci fi or high fantasy rpg. It could possibly be achieved if the dev team decides to make another game after this one, using the same or an upgraded version of the engine. They may also sell the use of the engine to others who intend to make a game.

A user friendly modding toolset, as Rod said, requires a lot of work. Although i think the devs want something like that, it's not something they are going to make now. Perhaps sometime after release.

From the FAQ section:

Will an editor / modding tool be included with the game?

We will do whatever we can to make this possible but we're not yet comfortable with promising a complete modding solution. Some of the more advanced features currently require significant technical knowledge and providing a broad user friendly experience could prove challenging. Please consider that our resources are limited.

Go to the 'about' section. LOTS of information there.

Dakkafex

Insider
I know, but the modding tools is not what this thread is about, its mainly about this engine being used for other themes

Parco

even without modding toolset/support some people will find a way to bend the game to their desires anyway.
i wonder how a naruto/bleach mod/game would work with this engine, would be fun if someone were able to pull it off. what about using this engine for a moba game? league of legends with realistic physics, i think that might be cool.

Who knows what Bare Mettle will do (with the engine) after Sui Generis's launch. Besides providing more support and/or content it'll depend on the success of the game. Then I'd presume they'll look forward to the development of their next game. Which could be anything as far as we know :)

Fawz

Insider
It could be cool, but I think it'll be a long way down the road when BM makes their next game, licenses their engine or the community make something themselves.

Mod tools would be great, especially seeing how usable the tools look to be. But as was mentioned it takes a lot of time and effort to really make it properly usable by people so I understand that it's not a top priority.

Zervostyrd

Insider
I'd certainly love to see the BM team make more stuff (as in games) using their engine! But from a realistic view point; There's a long way to go until then.

It will also be interesting to see what would/will happen if/when BM sells licenses for their engine too...

As for Mod tools, as much as I'd love to have them, I'm for the moment a bit pesimistic. I don't see why BM should focus on such a commodity until a very late stage of this game, if, at all.
What I'd rather belive is that it will be up to some brave member(s) of the community to create such a tool at least at first.

jasconine

Insider
I would love to see a high fantasy world along the lines of Pathfinder (even though they already have PFO in development) or a spiritual successor to Neverwinter Nights and the Aurora toolset. NWN2 didn't come close to the original game but it did have some interesting approaches to a couple of systems. The Witcher was built on the Aurora engine but far surpassed anything else on the engine at the time, even NWN2. Deep narrative, creativity unleashed, commitment and engagement from the community

It would be amazing to have an open world builder of SG-level available to modders with: strong quest, dialogue, terrain and item editors, monster spawning system and a DM mode (as seen in the last public video where the chair gets created in-world.) Bonus SG-goodness in the form of unique magic system, good physics engine and a visceral melee combat mode = joy.

But as BM have said, this may or will come later. The priority and focus is on getting a working world out the door to us, the hungry paying public.

I believe BM already have someone using the engine (Maddoc quote) but for "other" purposes.

Shalani

Insider
I think releasing a Modding tool is essential. It increases the longevity of the game exponentially. Case in Point; TES: Morrowind was released in 2002. It is still generating sales! This is largely because the modding community has added loads of new content and overhauls to keep it fresh.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.