Put in a saving function ASAP

I only really enjoy and am good when I totally immerse myself in the game, playing as if it was me
This is the way to play the game. If I were this character, exploring a spooky dungeon with no idea why I'm there, armed with a torch and chair leg to defend myself, I would definitely not be acting like Rambo and go around attacking everything I see, doing things with no cautious mind.

In a game like Exanima there is no shame in skipping enemies, hiding, or straight up running away in the middle of a fight and slamming a door behind you. You need to use the amount of control you have over the game to your advantage, rather than just playing it. See 2 enemies in a room while you're at half health? Lead them to an empty room and lock them inside. Fighting an enemy in a hallway? Lead him to an open room and fight him in there. Don't just play the hand that the game gives you, do anything you can do put yourself at an advantage. And more often than not, this means running, hiding, or skipping enemies.

Also people need to understand that this game is different. If you want to complete the campaign in it's entirety, set aside a couple hours to do so. If you want to play a game where dying serves no punishment at all, play Diablo or something. If you're really so busy that you never have a couple of hours to beat the campaign, then that's why arena exists. It's not the developers fault that you can't accomplish the feat that is beating Exanima's campaign.

Again I would like to know why people find it so fearful fighting in corridors? I have no issues whatsoever handling 1 or even 2 undead in a corridor. I usually play an evasive board and sword and I manoeuvre as such so as to make 1 undead strike the other, I usually back away down the corridor and striking when i see openings. Never forget spacial awareness is part of the tactility of the game, know your weapons reach, position yourself to strike with enough space for the weapon swing, avoid obstructions and use them to your advantage.

I've lead a 2-handed undead between 2 large crates so he couldn't swing properly, I then went on to hack away at him with small swings till he fell. Obviously most people seem to go 2-h weapons, but I feel they are choosing it because they feel it is the most effective weapon. I really should record a nice play-through so people can see how I handle my character, especially in the campaign.

Edit: Learning to use a weapon effectively is very important, I tried switching up to some different weapons yesterday, but although some fights were easy to win because of the weight and reach of the weapons, I didn't feel as effective or comfortable as I would have with a sword and shield. Even mace and axe, there is satisfaction in the weight of the weapon impact, but I love slashing and am good with the blade. Cannot wait for the new draw-cut mechanic to be implemented.

Last edited:

Jean-Paul

Guys without disrespecting the way you would like to experience the game I genuinely don't care about it. I've heard it all before. I am 32 years old I've been playing games since I was eight. I know what I want. Please don't pretend to know what my current experience and skill is in the game and use it in an argument. Losing things in a game gave me a sense of loss which I genuinely hate. The only system that prevents such feelings in me is a save system. Game after game I've had these experiences and I hated it. Put in a save !!!!!!!option!!!!!!. Put in a hard-core mode. I can have mine. You can have yours. Done.

Murf

Guys without disrespecting the way you would like to experience the game I genuinely don't care about it. I've heard it all before. I am 32 years old I've been playing games since I was eight. I know what I want. Please don't pretend to know what my current experience and skill is in the game and use it in an argument. Losing things in a game gave me a sense of loss which I genuinely hate. The only system that prevents such feelings in me is a save system. Game after game I've had these experiences and I hated it. Put in a save !!!!!!!option!!!!!!. Put in a hard-core mode. I can have mine. You can have yours. Done.
There will be no save option added. They are going to put in a checkpoint after each of the first three levels. But they have made it very clear there will never be any save/reload option added to the game.

El Maco

Insider
Put in a save !!!!!!!option!!!!!!. Put in a hard-core mode. I can have mine. You can have yours. Done.
At first this might sound like a win for everyone, but things aren't quite that simple. If people are given a shortcut, many will take the shortcut, despite the fact that it may not be in their best interests to do so.

For example, if Dark Souls had an "easy mode", I would have very likely played it that way. In retrospect, the challenge component is what ultimately makes the experience meaningful and unforgettable. I would have totally ruined the game for myself. Similarly, if you could play Exanima lightly, without the need to think carefully what you're doing, it would take so much away from the experience.

That said, I wish BM could add some more variation to the early game. A permadeath game really should feel fresh to start over every time. I would like to see procedurally generated maps (at least some parts of them) etc.

NachoDawg

The fact is that you can litteraly WALK through the map if you know the way, and finnish the game in less than 10 minutes. If you dont endulge in the map, enemies and the lore then you're not going to enjoy the game, or get the intended experience.

Not having a free save/load mechanic is just one way the developers are trying to deliver this experience.

There is an easy mode in Dark Souls, its called leveling up.

:D \[l]/ SL1 Bro's Praise the Sun!
Get a load of this guy! Bet he uses a stronger weapon than the broken sword you get in the asylum.

Last edited:

Zotis

There is a save feature, you can exit at any time and resume from that point with 'Continue.'

I think the problem is some people are not familiar with the good old days of original Nintendo where hardly any games had a save feature. Try beating Double Dragon or Battletoads. Those games are incredibly hard and you have to do it all in one sitting.

Nomad

After playing this for a good long while I have to agree. There needs to be a save system in place.
I can run through the game just fine, but see everything and try things, explore. It's no fun to spend a long time running around seeing everything and finding good stuff - and then die by a lucky blow or because your character falls in battle (things that is really cool). But collecting the same gear over agian isn't fun.
Dark souls has got it right. Or Alien Isolation. Save "stations". Finding a save "station" is such an awesome feeling in Alien.

In Exanima; There should be a save on each level.

piotras

I love to explore every single room, corner, move every box in case there's a hidden item and Exanima perfectly delivers on that. However, because of that it takes me ages to go from room to room. I first died after like 2 hours of exploration I just couldn't get back to it - i.e. do it all over again. Just feels like a massive grind and a cheap way to increase the duration of a play-through in a game where content is rather limited.

So, I've decided I'll be just exploiting the save system first time round - i.e. exiting, copying the save in user/appdata/exanima and continuing. You can always replace the old save if you die. I'm happy to play it the way it was supposed to be played, something games used to call the 'iron man' mode, but only after I know what I'm doing to challenge myself (doing it the other way around just doesn't make much sense to me). Right now dying and repeating the entire thing while I'm not really proficient at the game is just tedious and leaves me with a feeling of burning out before I really got the hang of it.

I kinda get the idea that dying will become part of the gameplay in the long term, sort of Torment style, but for now I don't really find it that exciting to run away from danger in a game which got me hooked due to an interesting physics-based combat system.

I'm really puzzled why people are against giving somebody different save options (no, checkpoints or manual save). Nobody makes you use the save game functionality. The best replay-ability I got from games was when I could come back to it by playing iron man mode - lately Xcom would be a good example.

Last edited:

Zotis

I'm against checkpoints because it deminishes my fear of death. If you want a game you can easily beat, or save at checkpoints, there are hundreds. But there are not many games like this that give so much satisfaction in surviving. When I die I try something new to refresh my next life, and when I start burning out I take a break and do something else for awhile. I think checkpoints would cheapen the whole Exanima experience.

Nomad

I love to explore every single room, corner, move every box in case there's a hidden item and Exanima perfectly delivers on that. However, because of that it takes me ages to go from room to room. I first died after like 2 hours of exploration I just couldn't get back to it - i.e. do it all over again. Just feels like a massive grind and a cheap way to increase the duration of a play-through in a game where content is rather limited.

So, I've decided I'll be just exploiting the save system first time round - i.e. exiting, copying the save in user/appdata/exanima and continuing. You can always replace the old save if you die. I'm happy to play it the way it was supposed to be played, something games used to call the 'iron man' mode, but only after I know what I'm doing to challenge myself (doing it the other way around just doesn't make much sense to me). Right now dying and repeating the entire thing while I'm not really proficient at the game is just tedious and leaves me with a feeling of burning out before I really got the hang of it.

I kinda get the idea that dying will become part of the gameplay in the long term, sort of Torment style, but for now I don't really find it that exciting to run away from danger in a game which got me hooked due to an interesting physics-based combat system.

I'm really puzzled why people are against giving somebody different save options (no, checkpoints or manual save). Nobody makes you use the save game functionality. The best replay-ability I got from games was when I could come back to it by playing iron man mode - lately Xcom would be a good example.
I agree with everythin you said. I play this game for the combat system and atomsphere. And little slower, walking and looking and reading a lot (like in BG (or similar), not for a flawess (speedy) runthrough.

Nomad

I'm against checkpoints because it deminishes my fear of death. If you want a game you can easily beat, or save at checkpoints, there are hundreds. But there are not many games like this that give so much satisfaction in surviving. When I die I try something new to refresh my next life, and when I start burning out I take a break and do something else for awhile. I think checkpoints would cheapen the whole Exanima experience.
There are not any games like this! To me this is everything I miss in a Neverwinter Nights - really good combat. Only Blade of Darkness match up. And a save sysem or checkpoint system won't change that. I don't think a quicksave system is good though, but Ironman gameplay should be optional. You should play old arcade games, they are hard and have not saves - there are hundres. (I recomend Raptor ;) )

piotras

I fully respect your choice, after all save options are a matter of preference (there is no right or wrong). Luckily all that would have to be done, to cater to a mixed crowd, is to include a check-box when starting a new game letting you choose what save functionality you prefer.

Nomad

It sounds to me like some people just want to be spoiled. :)
Not at all. You are missing the point. The game dosen't become easier, a save system removes 10-15mins (sometimes much more) or replay. It's like a really long loadscreen now.
I very much enjoy the hard combat and would want it no other way, but I don't want to spend hours extra REPLAYING. Not everybody have time to sit and play games for 4-6 hours a day. But that dosen't mean that we don't like the game or a challange. And I absolutely love this game!

Nomad

There will be a checkpoint that saves at the end of the third level.

That's correct, some of the skills you will be earning will be global skills that you are will be able to use at each new game/character creation.
I ran through the portal but my character isn't saved. It just put me back.

I tried the manual save (sorry) and it fixed everything. I enjoyed the game thoroughly. I only saved at the start of each level. No longer did I have to rountinly go through the first lvl or 2 just so I could continue from where I was. After some time, and sooner than you think, it starts to feel like a really long loading screen. Just tedious and off putting. Now it felt like a setback instead of "showing" some other character what the first one went through. I understand what they are trying to do, but a save system isn't making the game easier.

How about a checkpoint system that saves every 15mins? But it dosen't say so you dont know exactly when.
The reason is: a hard game with tough combat needs to stay fair. It's very easy to make a game insanely hard and punishing, but balance and fairness makes it fun.

Zotis

There are going to be checkpoints in the next patch coming very soon. Merf showed us the new patch on stream, so you can go into options and check off a box for checkpoints at the end of each level.

Seriously though guys, you should just eat your broccoli.

Murf

I ran through the portal but my character isn't saved. It just put me back.
Key word in my post 'will'.

New patch coming out tomorrow or next day, able to have it save ONCE at the end. So if you go from level 1 to level 2, it saves, if you die in level 2, you start again at the door leading to level 2. The perm save, that will allow you to save what you have and such is to be implemented once there is more content added after level 3. No eta on that, hopefully 2 -3 weeks. Will prob be another update or two before that.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.