Most frustrating experience I've ever had in 20 years of gaming lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

zak

So... Spent about 8 hours total over the last few days playing Exanima...

The story experience is unplayable. Zero direction... Awesome atmosphere and great combat mechanics. I was able to beat a ghoul or whatever with that metal spike and i finally got a decent weapon... but 4-5 fights in, my health is just gone... I understand that it's because I'm bad at the game but I can't really bring myself to replaying a very difficult first 30 minutes over and over again because the game doesn't pass a single opportunity to kick you in the nuts...

Arena was a lot of fun for a while.. After having to start over from scratch a half dozen times, I found myself on a good run. I figured out that I could fight pugilist matches to regain my health and I had a squad of 3 to do skirms... Lots of really fun moments pushing towards expert level... Went for a NOVICE elimination and I'm doing good, a few guys down and I've still got at least 4/5th of my health left... Up against a girl who's spazzing out with a shield and battleax... no biggie, I've beaten 100 of these...

But... She managed to get a hit on me that dropped me... dead... 0 health left.

Now my save game was deleted.

It was actually a conscious design decision to almost randomly delete people's save games?

I only put a few hours into it and was already pretty committed to my character... I don't think I can play this game knowing that regardless of how much time, skill, and energy I've put into a save game it can be ziltched by one mistake or one physics glitch...

I consider myself lucky that I've learned this lesson after only dedicating a few hours to my arena game...

So... Spent about 8 hours total over the last few days playing Exanima...

The story experience is unplayable. Zero direction... Awesome atmosphere and great combat mechanics. I was able to beat a ghoul or whatever with that metal spike and i finally got a decent weapon... but 4-5 fights in, my health is just gone... I understand that it's because I'm bad at the game but I can't really bring myself to replaying a very difficult first 30 minutes over and over again because the game doesn't pass a single opportunity to kick you in the nuts...

Arena was a lot of fun for a while.. After having to start over from scratch a half dozen times, I found myself on a good run. I figured out that I could fight pugilist matches to regain my health and I had a squad of 3 to do skirms... Lots of really fun moments pushing towards expert level... Went for a NOVICE elimination and I'm doing good, a few guys down and I've still got at least 4/5th of my health left... Up against a girl who's spazzing out with a shield and battleax... no biggie, I've beaten 100 of these...

But... She managed to get a hit on me that dropped me... dead... 0 health left.

Now my save game was deleted.

It was actually a conscious design decision to almost randomly delete people's save games?

I only put a few hours into it and was already pretty committed to my character... I don't think I can play this game knowing that regardless of how much time, skill, and energy I've put into a save game it can be ziltched by one mistake or one physics glitch...

I consider myself lucky that I've learned this lesson after only dedicating a few hours to my arena game...
Funny, I just found this game recently and I've been thinking to myself about how in my quarter-century of playing video games, this one is leagues above and beyond anything else I've ever experienced. Each their own, I guess. I love a good challenge, and a steep learning curve. :)

I understand your frustration, it is similar to the experience of loosing a Diablo Hardcore character. Absolutely everything vanish in an instant. Even there are some YouTube videos of people loosing their whole Arena Guilds.

However, I dare to say that the most important thing in Exanima is the experience that you, the player acquired in the gameplay. You don't loose any skill.

In my arena game I hardly play anymore with the "main" character, I use other characters and hirelings instead.

There are some tiers that are more risky than others. Master and Expert tiers are the safest, because the armor protects you from getting injury and pass the majority of the damage as stamina. The Inept, Aspirant are very risky, sharp weapons against cloth and linen, nasty damage.

I hope this experience do not hamper your enjoyment of this awesome game.
Best Luck with your next Char!:D

Last edited:
Yeah don't use your main character in the arena for anything but pugilism matches (unless you like the extra risk). Make other characters and hire characters, then manage those ones. If they die, you only lose the character, not your main character or any others.

In story mode, make sure you equip any clothing and armour you can find, don't fight anything that's not aggressive, and keep an eye out for blue jars that can heal you (they're rare). There are checkpoints once you get through the first level (make sure they're enabled in the options).

Murf

In story mode, you start wearing a shirt and pants, and as you said you have a metal spike, or piece of wood. Since that's the case, don't attack anything until you are better equipped.

zak

In story mode, you start wearing a shirt and pants, and as you said you have a metal spike, or piece of wood. Since that's the case, don't attack anything until you are better equipped.
Storymode is unfun to the point of unplayability... I don't have the natural directional acuity necessary to navigate, thus the story is wandering rooms aimlessly until the wraiths whittle me down and then it's start all over. The game's mechanics are so that sort of amplify my bad navigational skills... disorientating, even after around 10 hours of gameplay.

I'm a systems engineer by trade and I'm strongly considering trying to figure out how to take the grind out of arena mode... Really just want to enjoy the combat. Kinda detached for the dev to put so much content behind a grindwall.

Just how many pugils you think I want to do before I can have some fun with dual wielding cool swords?

Is unfun seriously a part of your design?

Peasant135

You need to click on the board where you manage your characters and select Recruit. This way you can make a new PC that you can use in matches without risking your main character. Also, somewhere in the area that you are exploring in the first 15 minutes of story mode there is compass which might be handy if you keep getting lost. I'm not gonna be more precise than that, have fun finding it yourself.

Storymode is unfun to the point of unplayability... I don't have the natural directional acuity necessary to navigate, thus the story is wandering rooms aimlessly until the wraiths whittle me down and then it's start all over. The game's mechanics are so that sort of amplify my bad navigational skills... disorientating, even after around 10 hours of gameplay.

I'm a systems engineer by trade and I'm strongly considering trying to figure out how to take the grind out of arena mode... Really just want to enjoy the combat. Kinda detached for the dev to put so much content behind a grindwall.

Just how many pugils you think I want to do before I can have some fun with dual wielding cool swords?

Is unfun seriously a part of your design?
I agree somewhat with you.

The story mode navigation is overwhelming to the majority, and wandering around with empty rooms you already explored is not so fun as you mention. I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out without looking into a map online or drawing it myself.

Specially if you play in short intervals, you can loose your direction easily.

We could propose to Bare Mettle some options as feedback on "Navigation" pointing where are you.
  • A MAP/MINIMAP (gameplay) with customizable labels and icons
  • A FIXED MAP (Item that can be seen any time through inventory and can be found inside the game or loot)
  • PLACEABLE Torches/marks (coloured chalks) to write notes on the floor so you know where you came.
  • DIFFERENT LEVEL DESIGN , Smaller, more linear in nature level design to avoid wandering too much.
Regarding the Arena, ... yes it is grind. The best way is to do elimination matches, which are the hardest, but the most rewarding in gold.

Madoc

Project Lead
In short, the game is designed to reward the player only if they play smart and perform well.

At the start of the story you are very strongly encouraged to do your best to survive, not belligerently pick a fight with everything in sight for no reason and while poorly equipped. It generally takes some patience and a smidge of thought, it's not a mindless hack'n'slash. It's very, very easy to make progress if you don't deliberately seek death at every turn.

In arena you make money very quickly if you're able to consistently win fights with high payouts, otherwise not so much. If this were not the case there would really be no incentive to getting better. You are rewarded for becoming good at the game, so that it's not a hollow accomplishment. As pointed out by others, making smart decisions is also important.

This is unusual in the current generation of games, and the reason why I've entirely given up on playing them. Without challenge or any real need for the player to be actually invested in the outcome... Just what is the point?

gumshoe

In short, the game is designed to reward the player only if they play smart and perform well.

At the start of the story you are very strongly encouraged to do your best to survive, not belligerently pick a fight with everything in sight for no reason and while poorly equipped. It generally takes some patience and a smidge of thought, it's not a mindless hack'n'slash. It's very, very easy to make progress if you don't deliberately seek death at every turn.

In arena you make money very quickly if you're able to consistently win fights with high payouts, otherwise not so much. If this were not the case there would really be no incentive to getting better. You are rewarded for becoming good at the game, so that it's not a hollow accomplishment. As pointed out by others, making smart decisions is also important.

This is unusual in the current generation of games, and the reason why I've entirely given up on playing them. Without challenge or any real need for the player to be actually invested in the outcome... Just what is the point?
That's the best bit about Exanima. Clear focus and strong design around your vision. I applaud that :)

Though... it can be frustrating sometimes without feeling fair...for the unexperienced. For instance I was just wandering the first level just after the first key door and as it was darker I had torch and cleaver. 1 step into a hallway and I'm rushed by an axe wielding dude who two-hit me and I'm out before I could really react.

As I'm still familiarising myself with the level better (most time in arena so far), after a lot of wandering around empty rooms etc earlier, that was particularly jarring. Lesson learnt is probably equip shield and torch early on rather than blade and torch to ensure life :p

I don't want the design changed really, but an accessible guide or similar that informs people of the dangers ahead when starting the game. As you mention most current games aren't like this, so proper expectations must be set :)

Otherwise, there's nice maps available on the good old net...

Jimmini

Insider
I don't want the design changed really, but an accessible guide or similar that informs people of the dangers ahead when starting the game. As you mention most current games aren't like this, so proper expectations must be set
You mean something like a giant fullscreen warning when launching the game for the first time that is impossible to miss? Oh wait, that's exactly what you get!
You are not a reckless destroyer of worlds. You are not a fearless hero who dispatches all who dare stand in their path. Not yet.

Exanima places you in a harsh world in desperate conditions. There is detail and subtletly in everything, you must pay attention and be smart about what you do.

All motion in Exanima is driven by physics and minute interactions. Controlling your character gracefully and with intent will take practice, but does become very natural and incredibly satisfying. It is not hard, but is is very different.

Here are some tips to get you started:

- The early game is about surviving, not killing. Be cautious and scavenge for equipment, there's lots of it around, but you must look carefully.
- Most things you meet are not hostile. They respond to how you behave and will learn to trust you, use this to stay alive
- Use the practice arena to hone your skills. This is not a simple mechanical game driven by button presses. You, the player, must control everything
- Don't expect to learn the combat in one go. It won't happen. Play a while and come back after some of it has sunk in
- Don't assume your first experience of the game is representative of it. You will suck and you will fumble awkwardly, but this will change dramatically

gumshoe

You mean something like a giant fullscreen warning when launching the game for the first time that is impossible to miss? Oh wait, that's exactly what you get!
Heh, well I obviously haven't launched the game for the first time in a while :p

Maybe it needs a 'repeat this text to yourself 50 times before starting.' :D

ThommiX

As others said,it is supposed to be like that. You are going to die,a lot and often. Reaching the lower levels is even harder than the first level as the enemies actually start fighting back. Train in practice to learn how to actually hit right,the first level zombies do not block or parry much at all.

Get the compass or use the maps online if you get lost so easy. The game isn't supposed to help you in that,you are supposed to do it yourself like everything else. Learn,practice and have patience.

On a sidenote,they could add some magic paper that draws you a map of the surroundings,but wont show your location,so you still have to navigate.

Kaladin

I seriously do think this game would be much much better without savegames being destroyed. It's literally never good game design to reward players for 5 hours playing with all progress gone and having to start all over again. With savegames at least for Arena it would be much more enjoyable.

A toggleable sort-of minimap (with only parts your character has visited) in the game would be a great addition as well.

Reactions: zak

ThommiX

I seriously do think this game would be much much better without savegames being destroyed. It's literally never good game design to reward players for 5 hours playing with all progress gone and having to start all over again. With savegames at least for Arena it would be much more enjoyable.

A toggleable sort-of minimap (with only parts your character has visited) in the game would be a great addition as well.
Permadeath makes half of the atmosphere in the game. You can also avoid losing your main character in arena by making another one for yourself. Where's the fun if there isn't enough danger? :)

Kaladin

You're making the assumption that everyone buying a game with an amazing combat system want perma-death. Sorry but it is objectively bad design choice if it is the only option a player has. Most people will hate this game after 6 hours of playing and losing everything to 1 mistake, if there is no alternate game mode where saving is possible.

Reactions: zak

ThommiX

You're making the assumption that everyone buying a game with an amazing combat system want perma-death. Sorry but it is objectively bad design choice if it is the only option a player has. Most people will hate this game after 6 hours of playing and losing everything to 1 mistake, if there is no alternate game mode where saving is possible.
There are checkpoints in the story mode :D
Well this game obviously isn't for you then. For me, permadeath is what really makes the challenge. Story mode would be boring if you could just save and load. Dark Souls did somewhat same thing and what happened? All of them sold out millions? Not as severe as here,but principle is there too. People also complained with it that its too hard. Still its a big hit game selling nice.
You can also just savescum manually if its that big a deal.

Well there is alternate mode,play in arena and make a second char,so even if it dies,you wont lose whole team.

This game's idea is straight back from the old days of rpg glory. No handholding at all.

Kaladin

Nothing that great about old RPGs except for a few big ones, and I happen to remember hand-holding in the vast majority of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.