Will it ever be complete?

NotLuke

The speed at which this game is being developed is absolutely mind blowing. Glad I wasted $15 on another dead dream

MrMadMask

Don't know if you're talking about Sui Generis or Exanima, but in both cases the development is going suprisingly quickly given the size of the team. Exanima is also about to get an update, remaking the graphics engine, and if that's not enough, there are weekly Coffee Diaries where you can read about what the devs are up to.

NotLuke

How about they complete the game, before they rework everything about it? Did anyone ask for a new graphics engine? it looks fucking awesome as it is. This game came out on Steam early access in 2015. That is NOT quick development

MrMadMask

How about they complete the game, before they rework everything about it? Did anyone ask for a new graphics engine? it looks fucking awesome as it is. This game came out on Steam early access in 2015. That is NOT quick development
The Engine rework was needed since it was lacking some features required for future updates, such as the remaining magic. Also, this game is developed by one coder, one composer and some 3D artists, some of them working full-time jobs besides developing, and the one coder working on the game 365 days a year. It's already a miracle that a game this good was made by such a small team.
Additionally, quoting from Madoc, updates after the engine rework should come out faster, since the engine was the longest project to date.
If you feel like you wasted 15$, then you could've done some research on the game's update times before buying it, although I wouldn't call them "wasted" if they help the Devs working on the game and keep the updates going, seeing that there's no plan to stop anytime soon.

garrick

Don't know if you're talking about Sui Generis or Exanima, but in both cases the development is going suprisingly quickly given the size of the team. Exanima is also about to get an update, remaking the graphics engine, and if that's not enough, there are weekly Coffee Diaries where you can read about what the devs are up to.
And for sui generis?

KS in 2012 and since many years no news. Only examina which should be only a prelude of sui generis .

With this speed, impossible to expect sui generis before 2030 at least and I think I am very optimist.

MrMadMask

And for sui generis?

KS in 2012 and since many years no news. Only examina which should be only a prelude of sui generis .

With this speed, impossible to expect sui generis before 2030 at least and I think I am very optimist.
Exanima is essentially Sui Generis' tech demo. All work done on Exanima is work done on Sui Generis. Once Exanima will be done, Sui Generis will only lack map and story before being complete. That said, we really have no idea of when Exanima will ever near completion. For that, we can only have faith in this godsend of a Dev Team.

garrick

Exanima is essentially Sui Generis' tech demo. All work done on Exanima is work done on Sui Generis. Once Exanima will be done, Sui Generis will only lack map and story before being complete. That said, we really have no idea of when Exanima will ever near completion. For that, we can only have faith in this godsend of a Dev Team.
map, story, quest, balancing, etc.
It's maybe that demands the most of time.

More of 8 years to realize a tech demo, I am afraid that it demands 20 years to realize all the others aspect.

Manigoldo

I must say: I'm not a Exanima fanboy and I understand the frustration due to the lethargic development times. BUT for 15$ I got a ton of content, even if the project dies tomorrow, I would still be content with what I got: 9.5 beautiful and atmospheric levels and a revolutionary gameplay with nearly unlimited replay value. This comes from someone that gets bored pretty quickly with most of games, somehow Exanima manages to stay fresh even after completing the campaign multiple times, in 25 yeas of gaming only this game and Rain World gave me this feeling, it must be some kind of coding devilry, who knows? In conclusion: Bare Mettle can do whatever they want, I don't care because I alredy got something special from a "tech demo", if there's room for improvement, all the better!

NotLuke

I do take back the part about it being a wasted $15, I did spend more than enough time enjoying what there is of the game that it was not wasted, I'm just disappointed to not have any more of a game to play after all this time.

Carlwarior

honestly, the game is not realy worth 15$ atm , it's worth like 10 or 9

maybe when complete it would be worth 20$ bc it would be complete. soo yeah, one of the main reasons why people don't try it

Manigoldo

I know it sound like whataboutery but I've seen a lot of indie games worth 20$ with half the content of Exanima. I will also argue in favour of your complains: most people don't know that this game is a passion project developed by basically four people with daily jobs, so when they see the steam page they think: "Oh well it souldn't take too much". Maybe the devs should change the description on the steam page stating it will take around six to nine months just to avoid misunderstandings.

Carlwarior

yeah ik that but the market rules. the more expensive the less the demand, the lower the price the more supporters and players,

plus making area1 n 2 n 3 a demo can appeal it to wider audience

map, story, quest, balancing, etc.
It's maybe that demands the most of time.

More of 8 years to realize a tech demo, I am afraid that it demands 20 years to realize all the others aspect.
In regular development with a premade engine, yes, but Exanima is written from scratch, meaning the technical part of development takes up a much larger portion of dev time. Especially with the meticulous approach that Bare Mettle is taking, and their small team size, which I believe makes the process more intimate and naturally organised.

Personally I am thankful they're going slow and steady rather than rushing out something they can sell quick before moving on. And why would they? It's their baby.

But hey, if the rest takes twenty years we're going to have one hell of a story to experience by then.

Ganthor

I see a lot of complaining about lame shit in this thread.

The first level of Exanima alone is worth the $15. Figuring out how to navigate the level, deal with the zombies, and not get hit was some of the most fun I've had in any game. The physics combat is endlessly satisfying, hundreds of hours later and there's still nothing more satisfying to me than getting a solid headshot. The ensuing metagame I got to learn was again worth the entire price of the game and then some. $15 is nothing and it's 15 bucks that are going to actually directly help the production of a passion project, not help pay off investors because the game was bankrolled by a publication studio.

As for how long the updates take, I too am constantly frustrated at the lack of updates and the snail's pace the progress is going at. But that's reality when you're talking about a studio of like 5 people. It's a passion project and frankly IDC if it takes 2 more years or 20, I want to see Exanima and Sui Generis made to the team's best ability and vision. I don't want them to sacrifice content, quality, or creativity just for time's sake. If you want constant gratification, go buy the new CoD, there'll be a new one every year from now till the end of time.

Last edited:
yeah ik that but the market rules. the more expensive the less the demand, the lower the price the more supporters and players,
That's not how it works tho. As long as people want it they'll buy it, making it cheap may or may not help but price is not a limiting factor as long as the product is good (or people think it's good). Why do you think half-baked AAA crap is sold by the millions at 60 bucks? You know, the yearly CoD and all that.

Of course this is all leaving aside the asinine premise that the game as it is is not worth 15 bucks. The time you can put in and the avaliable content mean that it is totally worth that much. If it were 30 or even 40 bucks then you could have an argument (and even then debatable IMO) but as it is? It is totally worth it.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.