0.6 Two handed sword swinging over enemy's head

Almadiel

This happened occasionally in older versions but now it seems to be almost 50:50. If you do a backhanded swing using the left to right mouse gesture when attacking with a two handed sword, very often the swing will go straight over the head of the enemy, whiffing completely even at close range, even if the enemy isn't moving and is wide open.

-Tim-

Insider
To keep this from happening, footwork and shifting your momentum is key. One might argue that it happens a bit too easily and that the LtR swing could use a tweak.

I don't really have problems with attacks missing their target. If anything - it is better than ever. Sometimes because of the angle it is difficult to see.

What Tim said. Footwork is an integral part of fighting effectively.

Solinarius

I play with mostly 2h. L-to-R is definitely not as reliable. Hard swings are almost guaranteed to fly overhead, now.

It's certainly made shielded enemies more 'interesting' to fight when wielding those two-handed swords...

Last edited:

Greenbrog

Insider
Yeah, a really hard stepping power l2r is very likely to fly high, and I play tall tall and short characters, less likely on a dwarf but still doable.

Solinarius

I hope this has gotten some attention. L-to-R definitely doesn't feel the same with two-handed swords (everything else seems to be fine) since v6. Fighting shield-toting females is driving me crazy! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This happens more often too, when releasing a left swing midway. The weapon twisted around, clipped into the right leg, and got wedged on the ground. Sometimes it takes a moment to get it unstuck and that often means a free hit for the enemy.

Last edited:
Confirming I noticed this as well. About 10 hours of 2h sword. As of .6 LtR settings overhead and I have to compensate with couch to pull it down

Almadiel

Yeah I discovered crouching backhand swings as well. Now I hit them 100%, but its kinda annoying to do every time, and you rarely get a neck chop that way, and it leaves your head more open, but it feels like its mandatory otherwise chances are you just get hit and die.

I also noticed the two handed sword getting pinned to the floor and ending up behind your back more often on horizontal swings. In 0.5.x it pretty much never happened unless you did a vertical slash and stepped forward. Now it can happen if you over rotate on a swing, and always happens with a crouching normal swing.

For the sword and shield woman, crouching mid-slash is super effective btw. If you learn to time it right you can go right under her shield and clip her legs even when she is on the defensive. The AI may need an awareness of crouching so it can block those attacks.

Greenbrog

Insider
Useing the crouch swing has been known for awhile that the comp has a lot of trouble defending it, but everything you said seems to be true. Makes me love the pole-hammer that much more.

-Tim-

Insider
Couldn't resist making a quick video to try to demonstrate my earlier point. The first fight shows random and badly controlled LtR swings which sometimes do end up swinging way too high, especially after a blocking manoeuvre. The consequent fights show how the LtR arc can be controlled by 'proper' footwork and use of momentum.

Greenbrog

Insider
Tim, nobodies saying that it's impossible to miss. We are saying that something changed and that it's MUCH more likely than it was before. Personally, the 2h sword and 1h sword are the only weapons I'm having this issue with. It's not about play style, SOMETHING changed.

-Tim-

Insider
SOMETHING changed.
I agree with that. Something has changed, making misses with the LtR swing occur more commonly.The video mostly serves as an argument against the idea that the LtR swing now has a 50% or more chance ('very likely', 'almost guaranteed') to swing too high. The video shows, from the second fight onward, that this is not the case and the swing can still be used to hit reliably.

Greenbrog

Insider
Yeah 50% was probably high. But If I want to do a max swing, or attempt for the "launching" effect I can make my character do, I'm going to miss with the 2h sword now. Which is fine by me really, goning to use the 2h mace anyway, least until I get a dam pole-hammer in story mode.

Guibou9

It seems I have this issue happening more often when facing enemies wielding shields, perhaps it's all about the way they move or balance?

For me at least, I know it's not "footwork" I have over 100 hours with the 2h sword alone, something changed
Something definitely didnt change. Take it from me, I only ever used two handed swords since the combat beta, and two handed swords LtR have always swung over the enemy head.

The trick is to not pivot your entire character while performing the strike. As in, when you do your LtR swing, dont drag the mouse to the right of your character. You may get more hits to land this way.

Definitely needs a tweak though. :/

Greenbrog

Insider
All of the combat got tweeked.

Saying I'm wrong is just wrong.

Literally everything changed and saying everything changed in exactly the same proportion is so unlikely it approaches 0, AND even if it did change exactly the same across the board, changing speed (which happened) changes MVV (you know, energy) and it would take the slightest imbalance for a power L2R to have a new min/max or likelihood to reach those assuming they stayed the same. Nobody has said it couldn't happen before, but since the patch I've seen it happen at least 100% more often, too many variables to say exactly what happened, and it's possible it's 100% from user changes and nothing to be engine side, but it's unlikely it's 100% of either.

But at least we agree, something needs to change; even if it hasn't changed, yet.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.