A different perspective...

MrIdontKnow

Insider
People use the slang term bare where I live. I personally don't like it, but never really took much thought into the title, I guess I must have an IQ below 10.

That's bare min IQ.

Psychomorph

Insider
Admittedly, I have seen you on various forums, and I would never have know that English was not your first language! Kudos!
Thanks, but it's not hat good actually. Typing a forum post gives you time to think about what you want to say and spellcheck is a little aid and if nothing helps an online dictionary (or its ancient equivalent on paper) can be consulted. If I must speak, it's kind of broken.

In trying to promote Sui Generis, I've been showing the pitch video and other promotional materials to some people. One of the people has extensive experience in business and marketing, who provided an interestingly different perspective on Sui Generis. Not sure how useful it is, but I thought it would be interesting to share it with you anyway...

I should start by saying that the person in question is not a gamer, nor has a gaming PC, but was very impressed with Sui Generis, to the point where he is considering pledging simply to support the project.

The criticism was that it's too smart. He did Latin in school, but had no idea what "Sui Generis" meant. Whilst anyone of reasonable intelligence would find the name intriguing and consequently look it up in thefreedictionary.com, the average pleb might be put off. For sure, the average pleb would be more attuned to names such as "Metal Gear Solid", which is made up of short masculine words that require no explanation.

A similar sentiment applies to "Bare Mettle". Stupid people may simply not get the pun, and be confused.

In conclusion, the present marketing pitch is restricting itself to people with an IQ >110 (ish?).

I personally think that "Sui Generis" and "Bare Mettle" are fantastic names. I also think that this level of intelligence is appropriate, given that the target audience is sophisticated PC gamers wanting to push the boundaries for future realism and immersion (compare with casual console gamers). However, I nevertheless thought it might be useful to bring the issue of decreased market infiltration. Hope that's seen as constructive.
All of the people on this forum love this game just as it is and we have demonstrated our willingness to contribute ideas, time, and money. This game is not meant to be shallow and appeal to the lowest common denominator. That's why this game is not Skyrim. Because this game already appeals to a bit of a niche market, I don't think changing the name of the game or development team will make a difference.

Rob

All of the people on this forum love this game just as it is and we have demonstrated our willingness to contribute ideas, time, and money. This game is not meant to be shallow and appeal to the lowest common denominator. That's why this game is not Skyrim. Because this game already appeals to a bit of a niche market, I don't think changing the name of the game or development team will make a difference.
Yes, I completely agree.

My reason for posting this thread was twofold:
  • Consider appealing to a wider audience in order to maximise pledges Kickstarter. This was at a time when reaching the £150K mark was looking unlikely. Obviously, this no longer applies!
  • Posting a different/controversial viewpoint in order to incite a response in the forum. The views demonstrated in my post were someone else's, not mine. I did not agree with them, although I did find them refreshingly interesting and thought-provoking, since they were things that I had not even considered. And I could see their argument. So I thought I'd share them with you all!!!
For sure, I agree with you that neither the game nor the development team should change name. And, just to clarify, the game should not sell it's soul in order to appeal to a wider audience.

Chedburn

Insider
I kind of agree with the name, I thought it was simply a 'Project' name rather than the finished game name. I was amazed by the game but completely forgot the name of it the day after and had to spend ages tracing my past steps to find it again. It took me a long time to finally remember the game name off by heart. Sui Generis? Obviously games with horrible web domains and long names can be successful if they're good enough - people will make the effort. But it does worry me a little, it's hardly memorable - Even if it is a cool latin phrase.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.