A different perspective...

Rob

In trying to promote Sui Generis, I've been showing the pitch video and other promotional materials to some people. One of the people has extensive experience in business and marketing, who provided an interestingly different perspective on Sui Generis. Not sure how useful it is, but I thought it would be interesting to share it with you anyway...

I should start by saying that the person in question is not a gamer, nor has a gaming PC, but was very impressed with Sui Generis, to the point where he is considering pledging simply to support the project.

The criticism was that it's too smart. He did Latin in school, but had no idea what "Sui Generis" meant. Whilst anyone of reasonable intelligence would find the name intriguing and consequently look it up in thefreedictionary.com, the average pleb might be put off. For sure, the average pleb would be more attuned to names such as "Metal Gear Solid", which is made up of short masculine words that require no explanation.

A similar sentiment applies to "Bare Mettle". Stupid people may simply not get the pun, and be confused.

In conclusion, the present marketing pitch is restricting itself to people with an IQ >110 (ish?).

I personally think that "Sui Generis" and "Bare Mettle" are fantastic names. I also think that this level of intelligence is appropriate, given that the target audience is sophisticated PC gamers wanting to push the boundaries for future realism and immersion (compare with casual console gamers). However, I nevertheless thought it might be useful to bring the issue of decreased market infiltration. Hope that's seen as constructive.

Rob

Being more practically constructive, I think that perhaps it would be a good idea to have a new "pitch video" for the final days of the Kickstarter campaign? Doesn't have to be 10 mins like the existing one - the existing one feels like it's pitched at reinforcing people that are already captured, rather than trying to entice the masses in...

What you need is a hard-hitting shallow marketing trailer that will appeal to the masses. Consider the original teaser trailer for The Dark Eye: Demonicon:
This has absolutely no indication of gameplay, no indication of what the game is about, but looks and sounds a bit like something from Lord of the Rings, and makes you want to buy it now. Right now!!! If you're not that smart and susceptible to such marketing ploys.

An excellent example of this (be it with a bit more clout...) is the trailer for Star Citizen (not the pitch video):
Bare Mettle, I think that everything you've done is fantastic. However, with all the highest respect you deserve, if I were you, I'd try to do something like this that would widen your market appeal.

Psychomorph

Insider
The criticism was that it's too smart.
I can definitely quote this. Not referring to the individual intelligence of people, but as gamers, most people are somewhat uneducated I feel. They don't get innovation and potential when it is shoved down their throat and instead choose to nitpick on little flaws. I know of another Kickstarter project that failed, because it was misunderstood, more than that, it was not understood.

A cinematic trailer is a winner and if it's gameplay, than it should be something people know already and can relate to. Revolution is acknowledged when it's history, not when it is happening.

A similar sentiment applies to "Bare Mettle". Stupid people may simply not get the pun, and be confused.
I admit, I am stupid. Care to enlighten an unworthy soul?

As for the title, Sui Generis. I did not know what it meant, but it had some fantasy flair by the sound of it. So I suppose we are on the safe side with this one.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

For sure, although I'm sure you're let off, Psychomorph. From the freedictionary:

met·tle (m
t
l)
n.
1. Courage and fortitude; spirit: troops who showed their mettle in combat.
2. Inherent quality of character and temperament.
Idiom:
on (one's) mettle
Prepared to accept a challenge and do one's best.

So "Bare Metal" would have been the "stupid, masculine" version. However, the pun, which exchanges the word "metal" for "mettle", implies that the company is working against all odds, doing it's best, determined to succeed.
Hope that clarifies! Awesome name for a company, if you ask me :)

Rob

I admit, I am stupid. Care to enlighten an unworthy soul
Right. I think that makes my point.

I think we all have a certain respect for Psychomorph, and the fact that he didn't get it probably says something about the effect on the wider community.

Psychomorph

Insider
For sure, although I'm sure you're let off, Psychomorph. From the freedictionary:

met·tle (m
t
l)
n.
1. Courage and fortitude; spirit: troops who showed their mettle in combat.
2. Inherent quality of character and temperament.
Idiom:
on (one's) mettle
Prepared to accept a challenge and do one's best.

So "Bare Metal" would have been the "stupid, masculine" version. However, the pun, which exchanges the word "metal" for "mettle", implies that the company is working against all odds, doing it's best, determined to succeed.
Hope that clarifies! Awesome name for a company, if you ask me :)
Nice. Well I looked up the translators as there is translation for both words, but I thought there is a deeper insider meaning to the combination of both words. English is my third language I must add, so I may not always get all the wits. :D

And I agree, the team has shown intellect with the naming of things. I can see only good things coming from this game.

Rob

Nice. Well I looked up the translators as there is translation for both words, but I thought there is a deeper insider meaning to the combination of both words. English is my third language I must add, so I may not always get all the wits. :D

And I agree, the team has shown intellect with the naming of things. I can see only good things coming from this game.
Admittedly, I have seen you on various forums, and I would never have know that English was not your first language! Kudos!

P.S. I'm not sure that Bare is a pun for Bear... I'm sure that Bears also have mettle, but I don't think that's the point Bare Mettle were trying to make :D

RichardTito

In conclusion, the present marketing pitch is restricting itself to people with an IQ >110 (ish?).
I'm sorry to ignore everything else you wrote but I smiled at this particular point. A 110 IQ isn't particularly smart but it made me feel very special, thanks Rob!

Edit: I noticed on the kickstarter page that you don't have anyone in your team who works on marketing, funds are tight I imagine and so ideally you need to get someone to do a promo video for free. I'm sure there are some talented people on the forum who would gladly assist?

Madoc

Project Lead
Unfortunately such trailers often take a dedicated team of people months to produce. Definitely beyond our means.

There is a "pun" in bare, if that's what you can call it. In British street slang bare means "lots of", this goes with the graffiti style of the logo. It's not apparent but there's that side to us too.

Rob

For sure, we can't expect you to produce such a trailer. It would be too much to ask. Just letting you know where the market is at (as if you didn't know already). However, if this campaign fails, and you run another one, this is what you need.

By default, I read "bare mettle" to mean to "expose all of your determination".

I see the pun in bare (as in to "bare all"), although it is much more subtle - don't expect any non-native speakers to get it! The difference between "lots of" and "expose" is very small in this context!

RichardTito

Would you let anyone outside of your team to produce a trailer? Not that I'm volunteering myself, I have doubts that windows movie maker would do SG any justice, you may need someone with a MacBook.

Rob

Would you let anyone outside of your team to produce a trailer? Not that I'm volunteering myself, I have doubts that windows movie maker would do SG any justice, you may need someone with a MacBook.
I think it needs more than a macbook...

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.