About the parry mechanic:

Vanguarda

I think I'm still just a little lost on the argument you're making XD

You complain about dodging being more effective than parrying... well... yeah!

In fencing (historical not modern) we always say your best defense is distance. Why on earth would I want to parry if I can just step outside of the attack range and counter attack. Parrying is dangerous and to be used when your opponent was able to overtake you despite your efforts to step out or to the side. I'm sorry but it just seems like you really really really want to parry more and dodge less, which is kind of inverse of reality.
Hey my friend! Sorry for being confusing tbh sometimes I'm not very good in making myself clear.

You got a fair point, but think about the dungeon for a . moment: you cant always Dodge due limited space só you are forced ti parry. Its way too dangerous and a considerably hard to pull of propely while just a bit unbalanced, and give a shitty reward imo.

Indeed you could say I want to see more parry and ripostes as well. But even if dodging is going to be the main deffensive move, I think that parrying should work a bit more reliably due dungeon

punkatux

I think parry mechanics is 100% reliable as it is now, I recorded video of my going through Arena. I get some hits from the last enemy, but it's always due to my mistake, being too close or sword badly positioned. The main point however is that when I use parry, it's always success.

Roryn

Insider
Try with polearms, 2h swords got good animations. I find rather hard with polearms sometimes tbh
That's pretty true, it's a little harder with polearms, but I thik it's as it should be. They're not really a riposting weapon I think, more of a keep your enemy at bay weapon - not necessarily dodging, just fending the enemy with a mix of parries at a distance, good and steady offense to keep them on the defensive, and maybe a bit of decent and/or wise manoeuvring.

Nevertheless, I bet parries will probably be improved, even if only slightly, in the next update due to the improved animations and such.

punkatux

Try with polearms, 2h swords got good animations. I find rather hard with polearms sometimes tbh
Ah! Now I know what you mean... It's different with poles, I agree. I was training yesterday and still I get hit too much. Since I've always studied only longsword, I am out of expertise to say whether parrying with poles is done well or not, all I can say is that my knowledge about poles and spears is close to zero :)

I have problem with parrying attack coming to the left side of my body. The character raises the pole, with blade pointed down backwards, which I can imagine that is okay, but he holds his pole too much behind the character, and that creates large opening. It usually ends in two ways, no parry - there is gap and attacker misses, or he cuts me into the opening I created when I wanted to parry. If that would get fixed, it seems more or less fine.

Vanguarda

Try turning a bit to the right agaisnt left attacks, as in one of my early posts I Said, its a bit counter intuitive imo, the animation and how you must manipulate it. Looking just a bit to the right is the safest posture to parry with polearms in my experience

Its like, when your warrior do the parry animation, the head of the polearm must point at the opponent's feet almost

Last edited:

punkatux

Try turning a bit to the right agaisnt left attacks, as in one of my early posts I Said, its a bit counter intuitive imo, the animation and how you must manipulate it. Looking just a bit to the right is the safest posture to parry with polearms in my experience

Its like, when your warrior do the parry animation, the head of the polearm must point at the opponent's feet almost
Thanks for tips, but I didn't understand what you mean, my halberd points always up unless doing some swing, so never pointing enemy's feet, but anyways, save your effort to instruct me, not that I would mind, but I stay with the short-longsword, it is effective in any melee situation and works perfect, also it resonates most with my warrior spirit among all the weapons :)

Syllabear3

I think parry mechanics is 100% reliable as it is now, I recorded video of my going through Arena. I get some hits from the last enemy, but it's always due to my mistake, being too close or sword badly positioned. The main point however is that when I use parry, it's always success.
Ok i play a lot of training arena without armor. At first they start playing like zombies, but when you beat novice and start in expert for example, thats when the game starts. Its like the game adjusts to your skills. They will be starting to make imposible movements, and thats when you cant block properly. The only way to do it is not blocking but steping back and blocking, or just steping back.

They can kick your ass even in novice ;d

Last edited:

punkatux

Ok i play a lot of training arena without armor. At first they start playing like zombies, but when you beat novice and start in expert for example, thats when the game starts. Its like the game adjusts to your skills. They will be starting to make imposible movements, and thats when you cant block properly. The only way to do it is not blocking but steping back and blocking, or just steping back.

They can kick your ass even in novice ;d
That's all okay, as I said, I haven't encountered parry with longsword that wouldn't work, or wasn't my mistake in positioning. Now I am training in Expert and it's same, parry is reliable, however more often parrying gets you into opening next move, AI plays smarter, so not always parry is the best thing you can do. Sometimes it's better to get distance and let your enemy miss, sometimes it's better to close in and look for opportunity to thrust. Basically, parry should generate an opening in your enemy's position, otherwise it's wasted parry. Also when you face unarmoured opponent, exploiting one or two of his opening is usually enough. Not so much in Expert arena, easily you can get drawn into a trap by being too hungry for kill as if you fail to kill during these, advantage can easily reverse to the opponent's side.

Last edited:

Syllabear3

That's all okay, as I said, I haven't encountered parry with longsword that wouldn't work, or wasn't my mistake in positioning. Now I am training in Expert and it's same, parry is reliable, however more often parrying gets you into opening next move, AI plays smarter, so not always parry is the best thing you can do. Sometimes it's better to get distance and let your enemy miss, sometimes it's better to close in and look for opportunity to thrust. Basically, parry should generate an opening in your enemy's position, otherwise it's wasted parry. Also when you face unarmoured opponent, exploiting one or two of his opening is usually enough. Not so much in Expert arena, easily you can get drawn into a trap by being too hungry for kill as if you fail to kill during these, advantage can easily reverse to the opponent's side.
I am not sure if you understood what i said...

Do the next: defeat the expert arena by blowing your enemies fast, dont wait for attacks. After defeating the boss just unequip everything and play again, it should be harder.

Record yourself using no armor (dont exit the game) and show me how u do. The fight should be as dynamic as you wont have time to wait your enemies attacks or attack when they will swing their weapon.
You will see even after landing a hard hit, they reply that with an instant blow to your guts. They will start doing weird stuff.

You are so scared with the last boss from normal that you back all the time, waiting for parry and attack.
It reminds me to how bad i was playing.

Last edited:

punkatux

I am not sure if you understood what i said...

Do the next: defeat the expert arena by blowing your enemies fast, dont wait for attacks. After defeating the boss just unequip everything and play again, it should be harder.

Record yourself using no armor (dont exit the game) and show me how u do. The fight should be as dynamic as you wont have time to wait your enemies attacks or attack when they will swing their weapon.
You will see even after landing a hard hit, they reply that with an instant blow to your guts. They will start doing weird stuff.

You are so scared with the last boss from normal that you back all the time, waiting for parry and attack.
It reminds me to how bad i was playing.
Okay, I will. Would be nice to see your gameplay too.

Syllabear3

Okay, I will. Would be nice to see your gameplay too.
I was about to upload one. I played really agressive that time, got to the boss but he won me.
The problem is that the soft i have record low quality, and its worst in yt. No one watches it anyways so i gave up trying.

Syllabear3

Welp have fun
(see how they are fighting like worst than zombies in the first try)

Like sixth time trying to record after errors and freezes (you can see in the vid some freezes too) in this day. Not sure whats happening... anyone recomend me a free soft to record, i think it broke. Not going to use fraps anymore.

The idea is to record novice and expert, but well.

punkatux

I must buy new GPU :(, my old one has died, however I record with MSI afterburner. But sometimes I have freezes in video too, but my GPU was with some errors before it died completely, maybe try it and it will work for you. When I have new GPU I will try to record Expert arena with as much parrying as I can, similair to my novice arena vid.

Array

Check the new parry with the latest patch - sword fights are now epically intense - my last practice was like darth vader vs luke in the cloud city

Syllabear3

Wow i just checked the new stuff but not the swords... thats actually great. Feels like my character smoked something powerful.

Holy shit, this is even worst for shield users LOL. They rip so quick just bashing their shield xD
Yet people protect the gray bar heh.

Vanguarda

I have to say this patch is really good tbh, a real improvement. The attack animations with 2h are much better, the game feels more consistent. New parry animations work great só far.

Shield seems rather OP now. They can parry and attack at the same time, this is kinda broken imo, too strong because shield users have weapons with great reach and fast as fuck. Small and light polearms have a real hard time agaisnt shield + little dagger, club with spikes or swords in my experience.

I also think that the parry instance (like active parry, where even if the weapon connects, it wont give damage) is too forgiving on shield users.

What makes parry better on 2h imo is the fact that now we can turn the cursor without loosing too much balance on the torso, and also the additional parry animations are a huge leap in the right direction tbh. A question: seems like the "windup" of attacks can be used more reliably to "parry" attacks. Was something changed, or is this placebo? I havent played in slomo yet só I cant see properly

Really good work Mr Dev, I'm even more exited to see future patchs and the future of this concept.

Roryn

Insider
I have to say this patch is really good tbh, a real improvement. The attack animations with 2h are much better, the game feels more consistent. New parry animations work great só far.

Shield seems rather OP now. They can parry and attack at the same time, this is kinda broken imo, too strong because shield users have weapons with great reach and fast as fuck. Small and light polearms have a real hard time agaisnt shield + little dagger, club with spikes or swords in my experience.

I also think that the parry instance (like active parry, where even if the weapon connects, it wont give damage) is too forgiving on shield users.

What makes parry better on 2h imo is the fact that now we can turn the cursor without loosing too much balance on the torso, and also the additional parry animations are a huge leap in the right direction tbh. A question: seems like the "windup" of attacks can be used more reliably to "parry" attacks. Was something changed, or is this placebo? I havent played in slomo yet só I cant see properly

Really good work Mr Dev, I'm even more exited to see future patchs and the future of this concept.
I like the new shield mechanics. Without explaining much, because I'm tired and it's the morning for me, the new skills allow for some real competence and coolness with the shield for AI and player. And, finally, there's a way to definitively break through their defence.

Syllabear3

Slow weapon have problems against shields, aka maul (or 2h hammers). Their allways weakness is their feet or left to right slash to the head, overheads aswell. The trick is attack when they do. If you have a quick weapon, you can constantly harass them without being touched.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.