Am i the only one...

SyllaBear

thinking that shields are a big waste??? Even using the 1hand weapon alone is much better, at least i feel it that way.
Or maybe i am too 2hands weapon fan...

Mhm, if you find using 1h weaponj over 1h weapon + shield you may be using it wrong. Shield + 1h weapon works amazingly well for me.

Kelorel

It may seem pretty useless definitely because you aren't using it right or possibly don't fully understand how to.

Shields do require a particular way of moving and approaching enemies, depending on the weapon type they and you are using. Note that weapons with a curved head like the Bill Polearm can bypass shields if you are too close to the enemy (hitting your arm just past the edge of the shield) so it's important to gauge your enemy's movements, their weapon type and even how your character moved with the shield to determine the best way to approach an enemy as approaching or attacking the enemy, certain attacks you make, negate the defensive properties of the shield due to opening yourself up for attack (such as swinging from the left opening up your right side for attack and also blocking the shield completely for the attack)

Depending on your preference for combat, I can see a style where using a shield is no better than not using one since properly utilizing the shield does take a specific type of approach to an enemy that is very different than fighting with a two hand weapon.

SyllaBear

It may seem pretty useless definitely because you aren't using it right or possibly don't fully understand how to.

Shields do require a particular way of moving and approaching enemies, depending on the weapon type they and you are using. Note that weapons with a curved head like the Bill Polearm can bypass shields if you are too close to the enemy (hitting your arm just past the edge of the shield) so it's important to gauge your enemy's movements, their weapon type and even how your character moved with the shield to determine the best way to approach an enemy as approaching or attacking the enemy, certain attacks you make, negate the defensive properties of the shield due to opening yourself up for attack (such as swinging from the left opening up your right side for attack and also blocking the shield completely for the attack)

Depending on your preference for combat, I can see a style where using a shield is no better than not using one since properly utilizing the shield does take a specific type of approach to an enemy that is very different than fighting with a two hand weapon.
Yeah, i am not good with shields... ive used it a few times. I just block pointing my character where the blow comes. Yes it fully block, but i dont understand the shield skill. It says "rapidly counters with an atack after block", i try to hit after block and just make a normal atack.
Then i see no diference in using a shield than using one hand weapon... can you explain me further?

Also with 2h weapon the reach is greater, giving me the advantage of the first blow and good range to get open spots... like it would be the right feet on shield users.

-Tim-

Insider
Well said Kelorel, much depends on playstyle and preference. In my humble opinion though, the shield is currently somewhat underpowered. It's defensive properties are barely worth it, mainly because normal blocking already is so powerful that you don't really need a shield to even block the biggest hits, even with a dagger. The shield also has a drastic impact on your momentum and general speed and agility. When more shield skills are introduced -and there's a couple very interesting ones in the pipeline- this should change dramatically.

Search the steam forums I made a post about the proper way to use the shield. I use sword and shield on my main recruit and it is my preferred fighting style. I can easily close position so the 2h wielder doesn't have the space to get off good swings, keep rushing them and circling. Sturdy shield is also my shield of choice even over the heater shield. When shield skills are added they are going to be even more boss.

SyllaBear

Search the steam forums I made a post about the proper way to use the shield. I use sword and shield on my main recruit and it is my preferred fighting style. I can easily close position so the 2h wielder doesn't have the space to get off good swings, keep rushing them and circling. Sturdy shield is also my shield of choice even over the heater shield. When shield skills are added they are going to be even more boss.
Can you link it??
Ive been trying shield and i used it like 2h, i cant use it in other way. When i am getting a blow direct to my shield i rush them and strike.
I won the last guy in expert without major problems but i still feel like im doing it wrong.

I had 1h axe.

Last edited:
Can you link it??
Ive been trying shield and i used it like 2h, i cant use it in other way. When i am getting a blow direct to my shield i rush them and strike.
I won the last guy in expert without major problems but i still feel like im doing it wrong.

I had 1h axe.
Here you go. I am currently on my phone but later in the day I'll try and write up something nicer. But most importantly and different about the shield is that you need to learn to use footwork and rotation to get your shield in position, you can even use it to knock your enemy's blow aside if you do it properly, leaving your weapon arm open to counter without them able to get their weapon in position. You don't need to hug the enemy knowing your footwork and how you attack will allow you to shield check them tilt back and then attack. If you are very quick with the footwork you can do a half step back and instantly forward allowing you to enter their guard easily and quickly. If it's a long weapon you can keep pushing them blocking the haft of the weapon instead of the head. (all u halberd users have no idea)
https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=http://www.baremettle.com/forums/index.php?posts/30107/

SyllaBear

What ive been doing....... well, the step back i think is not necesary. You dont need to get away from the enemy not even for a single moment imo.
I even do the same with two handed weapons. Sometimes i get out of range of the blow range so it hits only my weapon.

Anyways, right side slash against shield users is forbiden. You can even hit and block at the same time...

ps: ive been thinking about blocking... if you dont point to your enemy incoming blow when you are not atacking, it should block. That would be make blocking interesting.

What is the best shield in your opinion??

Last edited:

SyllaBear

Is it normal that when i step back and block i get full dmg? Or even greater...

Heck, is not a step back, it is a step forward. Going back just make the hit greater.

Last edited:

burgzaza

Insider
Greater damages can be recieved/dealed when dashing, moving back, just because you moved to the perfect distance for the axe to connect the sharp edge in your face.
Sometimes it is better to go very close, bumping into the opponent than to step back. Depends on the weapon type.

SyllaBear

Greater damages can be recieved/dealed when dashing, moving back, just because you moved to the perfect distance for the axe to connect the sharp edge in your face.
Sometimes it is better to go very close, bumping into the opponent than to step back. Depends on the weapon type.
I try to do that, getting close so the pole doesnt reach full speed and power. Or just try to getting it stuck.

Anyways, i am using top hight character. Not sure if it is good idea to use shield.

Last edited:
Well, it's harder to keep balance and fight up close, each body has advantages and disadvantages. I ended up making my guy as close to my build as possible. Not sure if it's a brain thing but I got a whole lot better at understanding his balance and movmet. I made a recruit and after awhile I deleted him because I couldn't time anything right.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.