Any news when the next update will drop?

Roryn

Insider
So what are peoples predictions for new mobs?
If I remember that term correctly... it means NPC or something, right?

Well, for the old ones first, I'm gonna say more skeletons, and probably more of those mummified creatures, too (depending on the level). I think skeletons will probably be a staple for the rest of the levels.

I have a feeling, though, that we're not going to be seeing many more exanimates that deep into the underworld. maybe a few that have died freshly.

Ok, I've thought of a new one we'll see. GHOSTS!! Spectres or something like that from the alpha videos. They may be able to walk through doors and walls....

Salexiss

All right, copy+paste here as I found it on steamcommunity updates today, but didn't find it here (I didn't really search...) Hope devs and admins don't spank me too much.
What's taking so long?
We've been focusing on work and as usual we've neglected to keep you properly updated. I'm going to make an effort now to give you a brief overview of what we've been working on.

As you well know we've been adding content at a slow pace, with only 5 of the total 14 levels/maps released so far. This is not however because just creating more environments is time consuming or difficult, but because we need to progress the game's core features to properly support further content and the story.

When we came to Steam with Exanima we rapidly fell into a cycle of constant refinement in response to feedback. We spent an enormous amount of time reiterating exisiting features and trying to improve what was already there, rather than moving forward with the features that were still missing. This is a cycle we've been determined to break, but it has already left us with a huge amount of work that has yet to be tackled. We also find ourselves wanting to develop a solid and aready sophisticated foundation for new features, immediately building things to higher quality standards, in order to avoid wanting to revisit previous work yet again.

We've taken all the feedback we've received and endeavoured to build new content to new standards. We're trying to break free of the sometimes monotonous environments, to involve the player more directly in the story and do many other things besides. The game has grown greatly in size and scope since the initial Early Access release, involving some very substantial additions and refinements.

The upcoming update features the first part of a large non-linear environment that will make up the rest of the game's content. We're using new environment building features and we're adding a lot more intricate and unique detail. We have improved both visual quality and variety in our level design.

In order to do this we had to make substantial additions to our level building tools, and we've also created some new advanced tools for general asset creation. These tools allow us to make higher quality visuals while hugely boosting our productivity and avoiding many pitfalls that have caused us to waste a lot of time in the past.

With these important additions to what we're able to do, we've also been revisiting the early game content, taking advantage of new environment building features, introducing new unique elements and remastering key assets.

Perhaps the most important addition coming to the game is dialogue and NPC companions. You may now have someone by your side to share in your misery, and perhaps even carry that damned torch. This will introduce important new gameplay dynamics and provide an avenue to better expose the story and your own involvement in it.

While perhaps most of this could have been done with simpler methods, we've tried to build an important foundation for NPC behaviour and dialogue that has many applications within the game, and many more to explore and build upon. This has been the biggest obstacle towards a release as we are attempting something quite ambitious and there was much work to be done spanning AI, dialogue and authoring tools, even a native OO scripting language. In the long term, it is one of our most important goals to create NPCs that have believable dynamic behaviours with meaningfully diverse player interaction.

With this complete overhaul of the AI we're also trying to tackle many other issues and add depth and variety to even the most basic interactions with the denizens of Exanima.

While we're not quite ready to include it just yet, we have also been working on Thaumaturgy. We will be adding up to a final total of 6 forms of thaumaturgy, with many powers and related skills. Mind is the first, as it is central to the plot. It also ties in with a lot of the work we have been doing with AI.

There will of course be many new items and various refinements to the game in general. We are not comfortable with giving you a release date for the update just yet, but we are at the end of a gigantic endeavour and doing our best to piece it all together and wrap it up.

(We generally avoid spoilers and publicly showing things before they are looking their best, but I will try to add some kind of screenshot here soon.)
As you already understood it is from Bare Mettle on steam.

Syllabear3

All right, copy+paste here as I found it on steamcommunity updates today, but didn't find it here (I didn't really search...) Hope devs and admins don't spank me too much.
What's taking so long?
We've been focusing on work and as usual we've neglected to keep you properly updated. I'm going to make an effort now to give you a brief overview of what we've been working on.

As you well know we've been adding content at a slow pace, with only 5 of the total 14 levels/maps released so far. This is not however because just creating more environments is time consuming or difficult, but because we need to progress the game's core features to properly support further content and the story.

When we came to Steam with Exanima we rapidly fell into a cycle of constant refinement in response to feedback. We spent an enormous amount of time reiterating exisiting features and trying to improve what was already there, rather than moving forward with the features that were still missing. This is a cycle we've been determined to break, but it has already left us with a huge amount of work that has yet to be tackled. We also find ourselves wanting to develop a solid and aready sophisticated foundation for new features, immediately building things to higher quality standards, in order to avoid wanting to revisit previous work yet again.

We've taken all the feedback we've received and endeavoured to build new content to new standards. We're trying to break free of the sometimes monotonous environments, to involve the player more directly in the story and do many other things besides. The game has grown greatly in size and scope since the initial Early Access release, involving some very substantial additions and refinements.

The upcoming update features the first part of a large non-linear environment that will make up the rest of the game's content. We're using new environment building features and we're adding a lot more intricate and unique detail. We have improved both visual quality and variety in our level design.

In order to do this we had to make substantial additions to our level building tools, and we've also created some new advanced tools for general asset creation. These tools allow us to make higher quality visuals while hugely boosting our productivity and avoiding many pitfalls that have caused us to waste a lot of time in the past.

With these important additions to what we're able to do, we've also been revisiting the early game content, taking advantage of new environment building features, introducing new unique elements and remastering key assets.

Perhaps the most important addition coming to the game is dialogue and NPC companions. You may now have someone by your side to share in your misery, and perhaps even carry that damned torch. This will introduce important new gameplay dynamics and provide an avenue to better expose the story and your own involvement in it.

While perhaps most of this could have been done with simpler methods, we've tried to build an important foundation for NPC behaviour and dialogue that has many applications within the game, and many more to explore and build upon. This has been the biggest obstacle towards a release as we are attempting something quite ambitious and there was much work to be done spanning AI, dialogue and authoring tools, even a native OO scripting language. In the long term, it is one of our most important goals to create NPCs that have believable dynamic behaviours with meaningfully diverse player interaction.

With this complete overhaul of the AI we're also trying to tackle many other issues and add depth and variety to even the most basic interactions with the denizens of Exanima.

While we're not quite ready to include it just yet, we have also been working on Thaumaturgy. We will be adding up to a final total of 6 forms of thaumaturgy, with many powers and related skills. Mind is the first, as it is central to the plot. It also ties in with a lot of the work we have been doing with AI.

There will of course be many new items and various refinements to the game in general. We are not comfortable with giving you a release date for the update just yet, but we are at the end of a gigantic endeavour and doing our best to piece it all together and wrap it up.

(We generally avoid spoilers and publicly showing things before they are looking their best, but I will try to add some kind of screenshot here soon.)
As you already understood it is from Bare Mettle on steam.
Well, its time to leave this site for good and go to steam then.
I dont like steam anyways... time to play d2.

Last edited:

Jimmini

Insider
Bare Mettle said:
Just to put an official word in from us, we are working super, super hard to get the update out ASAP. I know we promised it earlier, but we honestly thought it would take less time and while we work as a team things keep piling on. Sadly we are always in this situation where I'm just one programmer working on every aspect of the game at once and trying to do a lot of ambitious and unprecedented things, with our quality standards constantly rising.

Right now we're looking at a closed beta release today or tomorrow. The full release will hopefully be fairly close behind.

The work behind this update was a quite a detour for Exanima, focusing on very complex systems designed to support a much larger game world. With this seriously major hurdle behind us I can safely say we won't have any more long waits between updates, and we have a lot of very significant features and content lined up for the near future.

In response to the OP, we have always been very reluctant to show anything before we release. We think it's much better to discover them in game than go in knowing what to expect, and we're generally not fond of building up hype. We have been quite secretive about new content for this reason even with the small group of closed beta testers. We're usually quite happy to discuss upcoming features. Hopefully a lot of this is being passed on by people like Tony who can turn or casual conversations and many disjointed bits of info into something more digestible.

4th January, http://steamcommunity.com/app/362490/discussions/0/1621724915816061764/?ctp=4#c1621726179564587526
Bare Mettle said:
Yes, communication has always been a weakness of ours. Again, I'm responsible for communicating what we do and why, on top of everything else. I'm very fastidious about communicating things accurately, and I usually have complicated reasons for doing the things I do which are not at all easy to convey. I generally prefer to focus on actions rather than words, and I don't believe what we're striving for can be understood until you experience it fully. Or in some cases apparently, ever. Obviously this becomes problematic when the time between updates becomes long, or in this case extreme.

I do frequently dedicate time to trying to communicate everything we do and are aiming for, but I honestly struggle and don't reach a point where I'm satisfied with its entirety. Usually I will accompany what I can with an actual game update, as I don't think just what I say will make much sense to many people reading it. Maybe it won't make sense playing it either, but I want something different from our game. If you don't care about that then hopefully you can still apreciate the rest, and I'm sorry if you have to wait for me to get through all the things that are not important to you.

4th January, http://steamcommunity.com/app/362490/discussions/0/1621724915816061764/?ctp=4#c1621726179564707330

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.