Board games

You all play video games - but do you play board games?

What kind of board games do you play or what is your favorite board game?

One of my favorite games is Mage Knight!

Deck building meets Heroes of Might and Magic. It's seriously amazing. You use cards to move around the map, attack, defend and socialize (or interrogate).

Become a baddie that plunders villages for a temporary advantage or hire your own army to fight for you. There are many interesting choices to be made.

Holy crap. I used to love mageknight. The figurines on the playermade environments. Never heard of the card version.
Yeah, the setting is not new. I've never played the version you're referring to.

Hm, nice game, Pipes!
I'm playing Carcassonne
and Dragon's Gold
Carcassonne is a classic! Are the expansions worth getting? I've only played the base game.

Never heard of Dragon's Gold but the art looks really nice.

Carcassonne is a classic! Are the expansions worth getting? I've only played the base game.
Some of them are interesting, some aren't. We are taking them in game partially. For example, we can take only Portals and Dragon from "The Princess and the Dragon" or/and only Builders from "Traders and Builders"... If you take them all the whole game may continuing very-very-very long ;)

Never heard of Dragon's Gold but the art looks really nice.
Well, rules are not hard - each player has 4 cards: mage (strenght 1), thief (strenght 2), average fighter (strenght 3), strong fighter (strenght 4). And there are 4 cards of the dragons (other dragon cards are waiting in reserve) - every dragon card has 3 parameters: strengh of the dragon, visible loot and invisible loot. Every turn player can send one of his heroes to the dragon - and when their summary strenght will be equal or more than dragon strenght then - HURRAH! - dragon is dead, and you'll get your loot... but - if there's your thief in victorious party then he may stole one piece from your mate's treasury for you, or if there's mage then he take all artefacts (if they're in loot)... by the way the whole loot need to be separated among players only by your negotiations... so there're can be very hot disputes... and so on :)

Don Kanaille

Insider
A Game of Thrones:

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-The-Board-Second-Edition/dp/1589947207

For regular players, it is just a really good strategy game. For fans of the source material, it doubles in very carefully recreating the war of the five kings, with accurate geography and various characters from the books appearing as generals and leaders. The balance is great, every turn is tense, diplomacy is vital and backstabbing (eventually) neccesary. You get battles on land and sea, manage resources, deal with harsh conditions and possible wildling raids. Even things like the strenght of your claim on the throne, your standing in the court and the prowess of your armies are represented and influence how your game turns out. And, in my opinion the absolulte must have selling point, nothing in the game comes down to luck. (you can add "battle luck" cards if you wish, but I strongly advise against that). It all comes down to your planning, your anticipation of what other players do and your skill at manipulating them. Even though the starting positions are always the same, games tend to turn out drastically different each time.
So, if you want the experience of leading one of the six great houses to victory in Westeros, this is your game. Or if you like ASOIAF. Or strategy games. Or having fun. :3

The only downside is that you really need to get six motivated people to play with you for an approx. 2 - 4 hours. Organizing such a group isn´t always easy. Sure, you can play with fewer people, but the balance won´t be nearly as good and the excitement of everyone being surrounded by rivals will be missing. For the game to reach its full potential, having six players is required.

The other big board game I play is Arkham Horror.

http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flight-Games-VA09-Arkham/dp/1589942108

It is cooperative game, so thankfully a good change of pace when compared to the tense PvP of Game of Thrones. The players take the roles of investigators in the 1920s town of Arkham which is swarmed by Lovecraftian evil. The players need to gather clues and equipment to fight off various monsters on their way, venture through tears in the dimensions and seal the portal before the Ancient One awakes.
This game plays much more like a RPG and puts heavy focus on telling dramatic stories rather than giving the player control over what happens. There are tons of player characters with various abilities, tons of equipment, tons of encounters to be had various dimensions to travel through, a lot of monster, different ancient ones which inluence the board in different ways and all have their own unique final battle (which you have to face if you fail to stop its awakening). The replayability is enormous and the various tales you will create with your playthrough will stick with you long after the game has ended. Like that one time where a very dangerous monster showed up in a suburp, but none of our characters was strong enough to defeat it. Luckily, we got our hands on a time bomb and sent one guy on a suicide mission, but the random event on the trainstation had him take the wrong train and fall into another dimension... or the one time where a neighborhood was swarmed with beasts, blocking our progression, when suddenly the gangs of that area swarmed from their hideouts and beat the monsters back with pipes and shivs... and so on.
What I really like about this game is that, if you play it properly, it is really hard. Success rate can be below 1/3rd and constant doom is always hanging above you. No matter where you are and what you do, you will always feel underpowered and various "Oh Crap" moments will happen. Always hoping for that lucky roll so you can hang on, but always curious what other horrors the game has to throw at you... and infinitely satisfying when, against all odds, you *do* manage to succeed and banish the Ancient One... for now.

A Game of Thrones:

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-The-Board-Second-Edition/dp/1589947207

For regular players, it is just a really good strategy game. For fans of the source material, it doubles in very carefully recreating the war of the five kings, with accurate geography and various characters from the books appearing as generals and leaders. The balance is great, every turn is tense, diplomacy is vital and backstabbing (eventually) neccesary. You get battles on land and sea, manage resources, deal with harsh conditions and possible wildling raids. Even things like the strenght of your claim on the throne, your standing in the court and the prowess of your armies are represented and influence how your game turns out. And, in my opinion the absolulte must have selling point, nothing in the game comes down to luck. (you can add "battle luck" cards if you wish, but I strongly advise against that). It all comes down to your planning, your anticipation of what other players do and your skill at manipulating them. Even though the starting positions are always the same, games tend to turn out drastically different each time.
So, if you want the experience of leading one of the six great houses to victory in Westeros, this is your game. Or if you like ASOIAF. Or strategy games. Or having fun. :3

The only downside is that you really need to get six motivated people to play with you for an approx. 2 - 4 hours. Organizing such a group isn´t always easy. Sure, you can play with fewer people, but the balance won´t be nearly as good and the excitement of everyone being surrounded by rivals will be missing. For the game to reach its full potential, having six players is required.

The other big board game I play is Arkham Horror.

http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flight-Games-VA09-Arkham/dp/1589942108

It is cooperative game, so thankfully a good change of pace when compared to the tense PvP of Game of Thrones. The players take the roles of investigators in the 1920s town of Arkham which is swarmed by Lovecraftian evil. The players need to gather clues and equipment to fight off various monsters on their way, venture through tears in the dimensions and seal the portal before the Ancient One awakes.
This game plays much more like a RPG and puts heavy focus on telling dramatic stories rather than giving the player control over what happens. There are tons of player characters with various abilities, tons of equipment, tons of encounters to be had various dimensions to travel through, a lot of monster, different ancient ones which inluence the board in different ways and all have their own unique final battle (which you have to face if you fail to stop its awakening). The replayability is enormous and the various tales you will create with your playthrough will stick with you long after the game has ended. Like that one time where a very dangerous monster showed up in a suburp, but none of our characters was strong enough to defeat it. Luckily, we got our hands on a time bomb and sent one guy on a suicide mission, but the random event on the trainstation had him take the wrong train and fall into another dimension... or the one time where a neighborhood was swarmed with beasts, blocking our progression, when suddenly the gangs of that area swarmed from their hideouts and beat the monsters back with pipes and shivs... and so on.
What I really like about this game is that, if you play it properly, it is really hard. Success rate can be below 1/3rd and constant doom is always hanging above you. No matter where you are and what you do, you will always feel underpowered and various "Oh Crap" moments will happen. Always hoping for that lucky roll so you can hang on, but always curious what other horrors the game has to throw at you... and infinitely satisfying when, against all odds, you *do* manage to succeed and banish the Ancient One... for now.
I'm not a big fan of GoT but it sounds very interesting to play a balanced intrigue game with 6 other players! Biggest hurdle is indeed to get 6 motivated people.. I've had trouble getting more than 3 people together same time each week.

I've played Arkham Horror. It's great. Heavy on the rules like Mage Knight but really fun once you get passed that. I've always wanted to purchase Arkham Horror but never really gotten around to it. It sucks to own board games and never having dedicated people to play with. I've tried going to game cafes but it's not the same as with close friends.

Have you ever tried Call of Cthulhu? It's a table top about investigating. Fun but a nightmare to prepare if you want good physical props.

Don Kanaille

Insider
I'm not a big fan of GoT but it sounds very interesting to play a balanced intrigue game with 6 other players! Biggest hurdle is indeed to get 6 motivated people.. I've had trouble getting more than 3 people together same time each week.
As I said, knowledge of the source material is optional^^ Saidly, playing it with less players usually hurts the balance, as some players get easy access to open, unclaimed areas while others don´t.
I got my players from living in a student dorm, but even for us Game of Thrones is an event we maybe tackle 3 times a year. We also have a dedicated games evening for the whole dorm once a week but GoT is too heavy of a game to just play with random people looking to play causally. We got other lineups for those :)

At least Arkham Horror can be played with fewer people (however 4-5 seems to be optimum, more makes it harder and slightly tedious; fewer I´m not sure).

Have you ever tried Call of Cthulhu? It's a table top about investigating. Fun but a nightmare to prepare if you want good physical props.
Sadly, no. Not yet at least^^

Others games:

The Resistance

http://www.amazon.com/The-Resistance-Dystopian-Universe/dp/B008A2BA8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442871300&sr=8-1&keywords=the resistance

A game with little equipment and simple rules, in Resistance players take the role of revolutionizers trying to overthrow a dsytopic government. But the resistance was inflitrated by spies working for the government trying to destroy the rebellion from within (yes, related to that Werewolfs game).
Players have to elect teams who are then sent on a mission. If the team is all rebels, the mission is succesful. If a spy is part of the team, the mission may fail. First side to win/sabotage three missions win.
The clue about this game is that it gives little actual information on who is who. The whole game is an exercise in building trust, trying to convince people you work in their interest, destroying the reputations of others and vicious backstabbing if you are a spy. Even if a mission fails nobody knows for sure who on the team was a spy and heavy discussions will follow on who to trust. And even if someone manages to uncover a spy, that information is only known to him: Sure, you can tell your fellow players, but will they believe you? After all, maybe YOU are the spy trying to denounce a loyal rebel...

Great fun with 6 players upwards, though it has the potential to bring out the worst in people^^ Can be stresful for some due to all the accusations that get thrown around.

7 Wonders

http://www.amazon.com/Asmodee-SEV-EN01ASM-7-Wonders/dp/B0043KJW5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1442871337&sr=1-1&keywords=7 wonders

Great empire building game with cards representing buildings.

Terra Mystica

http://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-71240ZMG-Terra-Mystica/dp/B00APPE4HK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1442871357&sr=1-1&keywords=terra mystica

Very fine and complex building strategy game with a focus on terraforming. Great to get your brains smoking without the destructive aspect of Game of Thrones; interaction with others is more indirect and rivalry is more a matter of denying resources to others rather than attacking them directly.

Last edited:
As I said, knowledge of the source material is optional^^ Saidly, playing it with less players usually hurts the balance, as some players get easy access to open, unclaimed areas while others don´t.
I got my players from living in a student dorm, but even for us Game of Thrones is an event we maybe tackle 3 times a year. We also have a dedicated games evening for the whole dorm once a week but GoT is too heavy of a game to just play with random people looking to play causally. We got other lineups for those :)

At least Arkham Horror can be played with fewer people (however 4-5 seems to be optimum, more makes it harder and slightly tedious; fewer I´m not sure).

Sadly, no. Not yet at least^^

Others games:

The Resistance

http://www.amazon.com/The-Resistance-Dystopian-Universe/dp/B008A2BA8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442871300&sr=8-1&keywords=the resistance

A game with little equipment and simple rules, in Resistance players take the role of revolutionizers trying to overthrow a dsytopic government. But the resistance was inflitrated by spies working for the government trying to destroy the rebellion from within (yes, related to that Werewolfs game).
Players have to elect teams who are then sent on a mission. If the team is all rebels, the mission is succesful. If a spy is part of the team, the mission may fail. First side to win/sabotage three missions win.
The clue about this game is that it gives little actual information on who is who. The whole game is an exercise in building trust, trying to convince people you work in their interest, destroying the reputations of others and vicious backstabbing if you are a spy. Even if a mission fails nobody knows for sure who on the team was a spy and heavy discussions will follow on who to trust. And even if someone manages to uncover a spy, that information is only known to him: Sure, you can tell your fellow players, but will they believe you? After all, maybe YOU are the spy trying to denounce a loyal rebel...

Great fun with 6 players upwards, though it has the potential to bring out the worst in people^^ Can be stresful for some due to all the accusations that get thrown around.

7 Wonders

http://www.amazon.com/Asmodee-SEV-EN01ASM-7-Wonders/dp/B0043KJW5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1442871337&sr=1-1&keywords=7 wonders

Great empire building game with cards representing buildings.

Terra Mystica

http://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-71240ZMG-Terra-Mystica/dp/B00APPE4HK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1442871357&sr=1-1&keywords=terra mystica

Very fine and complex building strategy game with a focus on terraforming. Great to get your brains smoking without the destructive aspect of Game of Thrones; interaction with others is more indirect and rivalry is more a matter of denying resources to others rather than attacking them directly.

For some reason I prefer games with more direct player interaction if they're playing against each other. Many games are just single player games you play together. The resistance sounds like something I'd really like. You're all trying to find the culprit and the mole is trying to beat the team from within.

I also have Descent: Journeys in the Dark 2nd Edition. It's an alright game. Easy to get into. The fun part is that instead of playing against the game - one player is the overlord and controls all the traps and the monsters. Very asymmetrical gameplay. Something about tiles and miniatures I really like.

Don Kanaille

Insider
For some reason I prefer games with more direct player interaction if they're playing against each other. Many games are just single player games you play together. The resistance sounds like something I'd really like. You're all trying to find the culprit and the mole is trying to beat the team from within.

I also have Descent: Journeys in the Dark 2nd Edition. It's an alright game. Easy to get into. The fun part is that instead of playing against the game - one player is the overlord and controls all the traps and the monsters. Very asymmetrical gameplay. Something about tiles and miniatures I really like.

This sounds neat. Though I kinda get my dose of "team of players vs. the gamemaster" from my weekly P&P group^^ (though I have to admit our gamemaster is not that malicious. Strict but fair).

Regarding The Resistance, there are usually multiple spies and they know about each other. Coordinating their actions without the rebels noticing is part of their portfolio. As a rebel you really should watch out to notice all kinds of "meaningful looks", arm pinches, kicking under the table and so on... which then again fuels the paranoia: "You looked him in the eye too much! You two must be spies!" :p

Again, while I find it hilarious, playing it with strangers whose limits you don´t know yet can be a bit tough, as players are constantly at each others throat.

Oh, and while the game doesn´t tell a story of its own, we always spice things up a little by making the story up as we go. Which usually leads to some... interesting scenarios as well, for example, when the group leader decided the next mission was to take out the government´s sewage works and make them wade in their own filth...

Bullethead

Wow, boardgames.... I haven't played any on a regular basis in like 20 years. I used to have a closet full of them but now I only play them at the local wargame convention, and I don't make that every year.

I used to play the Hell outta Yaquinto's Ironclads (one of the few I still have) and AD&D, plus a fair amount of Paranoia. But for the last 2 decades I've lived way out in the sticks with nobody really to play with.

But for the last 2 decades I've lived way out in the sticks with nobody really to play with.
As my friend said, "why I need to count the scores myself, when I could simple run the game on PC and it will count everything what needed". I'm strongly disagree with him - board games... it's like a books (paper books, I mean) - they're natural, warm, tangible... I can't really explain it, but it has some form of charm which constantly draws you as magnet. Something like a witchcraft or an alchemy (or is it simply friendship?) - several people are gathering together and make the world around them better. Isn't it great?

Bullethead

I can't really explain it, but it has some form of charm which constantly draws you as magnet. Something like a witchcraft or an alchemy (or is it simply friendship?) - several people are gathering together and make the world around them better. Isn't it great?
I always thought it was an excuse to drink a lot of beer :).

Seriously, I know what you mean, though. It's much more fun to play face-to-face than online. Still, when I think about it, we never actually got to play all that much. We used to play really complex things that took all of one evening just to set up, then many more evenings to play out. In between, the board was at the mercy of the cats, and it often happened that they scattered stacks of counters hither and yon. We had house rules for that if the damage wasn't too bad (some freak disaster happened to those units) but eventually there would always be total destruction. So then we got more into miniatures to minimize this sort of problem.

Don Kanaille

Insider
Anyone play munchkin? Finally bought the game so I could learn and it surprised me how much I'm enjoying it
Who doesnt? Almost everyone I know ownes some version of Munchkin^^ Its a nice little game, easy to set up and play.

We used to play really complex things that took all of one evening just to set up, then many more evenings to play out. In between, the board was at the mercy of the cats, and it often happened that they scattered stacks of counters hither and yon.
If I went through such a lenghty process, I would take some measure to conserve my game as long as possible. Maybe set it up in a room that can be locked or build some kind of cover to place over the game?

Personally, I haven´t played such a long-winded game, but a friend of mine has played "Twilight Imperium" which, according to him, can take about 14 hours to complete.

However I can really agree that playing board games is something very different than playing computer games. Especially with any kind of social aspect, like Game of Thrones´ convoluted network of player alliances and betrayals or Resistance´s constant behavior observations.

Last edited:
Wow, boardgames.... I haven't played any on a regular basis in like 20 years. I used to have a closet full of them but now I only play them at the local wargame convention, and I don't make that every year.

I used to play the Hell outta Yaquinto's Ironclads (one of the few I still have) and AD&D, plus a fair amount of Paranoia. But for the last 2 decades I've lived way out in the sticks with nobody really to play with.
Do you recommend Ironclads? I have a friend that's really into strategic wargames and I am looking for a game we could play together. It looks neat.

Bullethead

If I went through such a lenghty process, I would take some measure to conserve my game as long as possible. Maybe set it up in a room that can be locked or build some kind of cover to place over the game?
Well, if you don't have a dedicated game room, it's hard to shut the door. And if the map is any size at all, or if there are all sorts of off-map tables with counters and such on them to mark turns, phase, and such, the area is often too big to cover.

Personally, I haven´t played such a long-winded game, but a friend of mine has played "Twilight Imperium" which, according to him, can take about 14 hours to complete.
14 hours is nothing ;). We used to play Wellington's Victory, which was a company-to-battalion-level sim of Waterloo. That monstrosity took like 4 hours PER TURN, sometimes just for 1 player's turn, and it went on for many, many turns. Usually something bad would happen before or jus after the Prussians finally started showing up.

Do you recommend Ironclads? I have a friend that's really into strategic wargames and I am looking for a game we could play together. It looks neat.
The Ironclads I was talking about was a tactical battle game, not strategic. Each unit was an individual ship, you fired each gun individually, and did armor penetration for each shot depending on where it hit the target. It was in essence a simulation. The publisher, Yaquinto, went out of business in the 1980s. There was also Ironclads Expansion Kit by Yaquinto, and some years later another company (3W IIRC) made Shot and Shell, which was a further expansion (and also big revision) of the original game. Shot and Shell could be played by itself but was best if you had both the Yaquinto products alreadly.

You can still find the Yaquinto stuff on eBay (they made a number of other really good games):
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/yaquinto

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.