Character Height/Weight in Pugilism Matches

I was fiddling around with the character creation menu after getting my ass handed to me in the arena, and I started thinking about whether the height slider and body shape grid can affect combat, specifically pugilism. My thought was that if I made a character that was a bit shorter, it would be easier to pull off uppercuts against average-height enemies; conversely, a taller and/or more muscular build might have more momentum behind wide swinging hooks and could really pummel some face.

I've done only a little bit of testing on this theory so far, and I was curious if you guys had some thoughts on this kind of 'optimization'.

SyllaBear

The only thing i know is that tallers guys are a hell of dumb. Not sure if it was because i didnt play for a few days but when i tried to play the game once again i felt them worst... but maybe its just me.

But i think you are pretty accurate in what you said.

Knave

Here's my experience so far:

Big strong characters tend to be slow mountains of meat. Other fighters tend to dodge and hit on the ribs, which looks painful and realistic. In my opinion strong characters should be able to punch harder or endure a bit more ONLY IN PUGILISM FIGHTS.

Small characters are Muhammad Ali. They dodge like a butterfly and hit like a wasp. I always make a tiny scrawny character for the boxing matches because they tend to kick major ass.

The Witcher

Supporter
Here's my experience so far:

Big strong characters tend to be slow mountains of meat. Other fighters tend to dodge and hit on the ribs, which looks painful and realistic. In my opinion strong characters should be able to punch harder or endure a bit more ONLY IN PUGILISM FIGHTS.

Small characters are Muhammad Ali. They dodge like a butterfly and hit like a wasp. I always make a tiny scrawny character for the boxing matches because they tend to kick major ass.
not true if you know how to use your weight and force against a smaller guy its easier to defeat him and you can keep him out of reach the thing that small guys always win against bigger ones is a hollywood thing that was made for the movie fights to look better

Knave

Maybe I just suck at big characters. For some reason I tend to win more with tiny half-starved fighters.
Time to learn some Exanima Judo with big guys.
EDIT: It's a bit derailing the topic but... EUREKA! IT WORKS! In this game you can actually perform throws. I just threw an opponent above my head and then finished him off while he was on the ground. It was more luck than skill, but it's awesome.

Last edited:

Hastur

EDIT: It's a bit derailing the topic but... EUREKA! IT WORKS! In this game you can actually perform throws. I just threw an opponent above my head and then finished him off while he was on the ground. It was more luck than skill, but it's awesome.
How so?

Knave

As he charged towards me I stepped forward while turning around.
This happened:
I have only been able to reproduce it a few times. But knowing it's possible is good enough for now.

Pengman19

Another cool way to put someone on their wallet is to HOLD C to crouch, and then release C, and as you're beginning to stand back up, simultaneously dash forward and unleash an uppercut. I've lifted people off their feet, and then slammed them on their backside. Very satisfying. I'll try to record a video of it soon.

Another cool way to put someone on their wallet is to HOLD C to crouch, and then release C, and as you're beginning to stand back up, simultaneously dash forward and unleash an uppercut. I've lifted people off their feet, and then slammed them on their backside. Very satisfying. I'll try to record a video of it soon.
I've done the exact same thing. Visions of Ken from Streetfighter, lol. It's brutal when it connects. I have had the opposite experience from what many posters have said here about height though. My 0/100 X/Y build tends to swing exactly at face level. Almost all of my punches land squarely on the face because that's where his shoulder level is to most opponents. Uppercuts work well too, because the slight dip in the swing puts them squarely at the lower jaw.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.