Dreams of dependent camera and other feedback

1) Dependent camera.

Hi, devs (if any devs read this forum). I bought game in steam, tried to play. Sorry, but for now, as I see, most part of gameplay is just learning of how to handle with game controls, not actual playing. I've made a refund in steam until game will get comfortable controls. For now it looks like you made controls so weird to make the game more hard this way. But it's isn't hardcore, it just very uncomfortable, unintuitive, and that's all. I think, there are not much needed to make game more user friendly, just add dependent camera option, and it should solve at least half of control's problems.

For now camera is fully independent, but game requires from you to "feel" your character more - because there are physics here and game pretends for hardcore. I can't feel my character, when I don't see battle how he see it. For now game force me to instantly press spacebar instead of just attaching camera to mouse. Why character's look is attached to mouse cursor, but camera isn't and there are no options to do it? This is really weird and unintuitive. I didn't find any actions in game which require to use independent camera and mouse cursor at the same time without pressing mouse buttons. You devs can just make dependent camera + attach camera and character rotation to hovering of mouse cursor to the edge of the screen (smth like it was in NWN 1), or maybe make fully dependent camera + just don't count movement of cursor when LMB pressed for camera state change.

I really like the idea of fights based on physics, but I buy games to play, not to learn controls technique for 10-15 hours and play 2-3 hours after (as I see, there is not much content in this game for now). I saw player review in steam where he said that he tried to learn how to fight for 7 hours in game... and you devs just said smth like "watch the video tutorial from some player try more" to him (facepalm). Maybe we should admit that the problem was not in the player?

I hope I said smth useful for you, I left the game in my wishlist and subscribed to the newsletter of the game in steam, but I won't buy it until you guys made user friendly and intuitive controls. Physical-based combat is hard enough as it is, without exceptional complication using unintuitive controls.

2) Maybe some character templates?

As the game has permanent death and novice dice many times in a row, why there are no ability to save appearance of char configured by me as a template, to "ressurect" this char for next game walkthrough?

3) Some controls feedback? (maybe as separate option in game oprions)

For now the mouse cursor controls the character's sight and his attacks, but at the same time lives it's own life and doesn't give any feedback to the player in combat, which complicates the adaptation to game controls greatly. In fact, this issue and issue with the camera are main things which people make refund, imo. You can limit the movement speed of the cursor in combat mode when the LMB pressed for different types of attack, so player will get some image of how powerful/fast/deep strike of his character will be. I would definitely use this, because i'm not medieval action games veteran. And mouse cursor speed limitation for dependent camera mod when character rotates will be great too.

Thanks for reading. I don't wanted to hurt anybody with my words, but feedback is essence of Early Access games, so it's here.

Last edited:

Pc Genie

I and several others also feel that there should be an option to snap the camera to the mouse. For now, we hold the spacebar down until this is implemented, which is less than desirable.

Perhaps one day they will actually make this an option whilst allowing the others to keep the independent cameras they want instead if they choose.

Also, welcome to the Spacebar Holders Club!

Thank you for your post! It is good to see fellow gamers post their feedbacks.

I can somehow understand your feelings about Camera styles and position. To be able to change that and more in the Options menu would be ideal.

However, personally I find the control style in Exanima just fine.

The learning curve depends on your gamer experience mostly. If you have played a lot of different games, the controls are just like any other. But if your preferences for games are limited to a certain type, its understandable that you need more time to get used to.

Last edited:

dennisftw

I find tapping the space bar after every few shots to be alot better than holding it. I disagree with having a completely dependent camera as you need the separation to wind up swings etc and you definitely can't control the character properly if you hold the space bar down the entire time not to mention how disorienting it is. I do agree that the current camera feels very clunky and unintuitive for new players, however, I can't think of any solutions that doesnt involve completely reworking the controls either.

Beardog

to "feel" your character more
I feel the same way. Personally I would welcome an option to set the camera to move in a similar way to say a first person view while still retaining the perspective currently used in the game.
A bit like in an old game called "Dungeon Lords" where the character was controlled with the ASDW keys like a first person view while the camera was in third person.
The main difference for me is that it would add to the immersion in the sense that the player and the onscreen character would feel more "as one", ex. my right or left would always be the same as the character on screen and he would always be facing the north of the monitor.
An additional option, that I would like, would a lockable zoom and perspective toggle key again to customize the camera.

ps. A disclaimer: I am talking about options for those who would choose to use them and game change changes to be forced upon all.
This is not an issue with difficulty but simply with gameplay preference.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.