Exanima 0.4.1.1: Combat Movement Changes

Try to play arena with different weapons. I, like you, started with a shield and one-handed weapon and finished the novice area, but in the expert arena I seem to fare better with the two handed weapons like the two-handed sword and recently tried my luck with the hammers.

Learning to play with the different weapons makes it easier to understand enemies with those weapons which will increase your skill level.
I originally started with the two-handed sword was best with that and couldn't use the sword and shield at all back in the first Alpha release days. Recently though I find sword and shield suits me best.

Okay, Something has majorly changed that hasn't been mentioned or the changes have had a significant effect on the enemy A.I. in the campaign. As of patch 0.4.0.1 I could almost clear the first area fighting all undead. In this patch 0.4.1.1 I have gotten used to the new control changes and am at least doing just as well as I was before the changes, in Arena mode. However in the campaign I'm getting ruined! And I have been putting some time into it. If I am lucky I can take on 3 before I die now. The undead are fighting much more aggressively than they were before. They attack wildly now without care. They seem faster. Taking damage doesn't affect their attack in the least. Something has changed with the barrel lid as an effective shield as well. It is far slower to respond. I can't use it as a shield anymore it is way too slow. I don't know if it is heavier, if the avatar is weaker, or the avatar is slower to respond. I know Madoc said he didn't change anything else so if he didn't intentionally then the changes that were made have significant effect on unintended aspects of the system. I'm going to uninstall Exanima and reinstall to patch 0.4.01 to make sure but I know already. I'll get back shortly with my results. And I am getting the full 60 fps with no lag so that is not the issue.

UPDATE!
I reverted back to patch 0.4.0.1 and was able to use the barrel lid as an effective shield and had no issue dispossing of the undead in the first area of the campaign. I was just mowing through them with little effort. This is after I got quite used to patch 0.4.1.1 and was doing just as well in the Arena mode as I was in 0.4.0.1 . Somehow 0.4.1.1 changed the dynamics of the campaign combat and it is far more difficult, even after being used to the changes made.

Last edited:

JoshWaldron

Insider
Okay, Something has majorly changed that hasn't been mentioned or the changes have had a significant effect on the enemy A.I. in the campaign. As of patch 0.4.0.1 I could almost clear the first area fighting all undead. In this patch 0.4.1.1 I have gotten used to the new control changes and am at least doing just as well as I was before the changes, in Arena mode. However in the campaign I'm getting ruined! And I have been putting some time into it. If I am lucky I can take on 3 before I die now. The undead are fighting much more aggressively than they were before. They attack wildly now without care. They seem faster. Taking damage doesn't affect their attack in the least. Something has changed with the barrel lid as an effective shield as well. It is far slower to respond. I can't use it as a shield anymore it is way too slow. I don't know if it is heavier, if the avatar is weaker, or the avatar is slower to respond. I know Madoc said he didn't change anything else so if he didn't intentionally then the changes that were made have significant effect on unintended aspects of the system. I'm going to uninstall Exanima and reinstall to patch 0.4.01 to make sure but I know already. I'll get back shortly with my results. And I am getting the full 60 fps with no lag so that is not the issue.

UPDATE!
I reverted back to patch 0.4.0.1 and was able to use the barrel lid as an effective shield and had no issue dispossing of the undead in the first area of the campaign. I was just mowing through them with little effort. This is after I got quite used to patch 0.4.1.1 and was doing just as well in the Arena mode as I was in 0.4.0.1 . Somehow 0.4.1.1 changed the dynamics of the campaign combat and it is far more difficult, even after being used to the changes made.
That's weird man... even before the update I've always known them to swing blindly without blocking or stopping when you hit them, I remember it put me off at first after getting used to the smarter arena opponents but I thought it was kinda cool and realistic for zombies. I don't know if this has anything to do with the update or if I'm just being more patient and tactful, but I have an easier time fighting them now than when I did my first run through before the update. I find them to be extremely predictable in their swings. My own sloppiness, less predictable :|

I've always had trouble with the shield blocking maybeeee... 10% of the time, even with perfect positioning. Their weapon will just skim over the top and hit me in the face usually. It's off-putting, and a little frustrating when you anticipate the blow and have your shield in place well ahead of time and it still fails to block. It makes sense if you're making a last-second block attempt that it may fail, but when you have the shield in place well before the blow arrives and it still fails it makes it a coin toss as to whether you can rely on blocking or not.

I can't tell you you're not experiencing what you say you are, I can only say I haven't had the same experience.

Murf

Weird for sure, I'm on current build and made it all the way to the armory with the barrel lid, still works as it always has for me.

One thing I like about this game, every single time you play it is going to be different, just because you have beaten it once does not mean you wil beat it every time you play after that. Too many variables.

Once I get better gear going I get far more stout and sturdy and the barrel lid shield works amazing. I can almost just stand there and do very little and the undead can't hit me. All I have to do is turn slightly.

No matter which build of course there's going to be errors and inconsistencies. Sometimes the first guy will just own me. But overall the Arena is more consistent for me in 0.4.1.1 and the dungeon is far easier and much more consitant in 0.4.0.1 .

The undead have always attacked wildly yes but it seems like they are even more aggressive now than they were before. I've gone back and forth between 0.4.0.1 and 0.4.1.1 and there is a noticble difference in the play style of the undead. Their attacks are quicker and hit much harder. And the ones that would try and avoid getting hit no longer seem to try to do so. That may be more realistic I'll grant but it is a change.

I have found in the Arena I fare better in 0.4.1.1 . The fights are quicker and my fights are more consistent. In the dungeon it is much more difficult for me. I find in narrow tight areas making small movements is difficult to do. Even just a quick tap of a key moves me further than I would like.

I get into more open areas and the combat is okay. Shields work pretty good so long as I'm not going up against an axe. Axes can be tricky you have to rotate more to guard your side. But using a shield in small spaces or not using a shield even in small spaces requires smaller movements and quick taps aren't working very well for me.

When I switch back to 0.4.0.1 The Arena battles are more difficult and take longer but I do way way better in the dungeon. I intentionally fought every undead I could find and three different times had to fight 2 at a time because I screwed up and lived through all 3 fights. I never used my potion and still had half life left. I was right at the end on the first area when I screwed up and died. I was just mowing through them with almost no effort and have been able to do so again and again.

0.4.1.1 I just can't make it very far and it is inconsistant; sometimes I get 5 fights in; other times 1-3 before I die.

I don't know what the answer is here; both systems work better in different scenarios. Adding a key press to switch between them can just get messy. The only other thing I can think of to find a possible balance is playing around more with the timings of key presses and the distance traveled.

I do think the new system of 0.4.1.1 makes more sense and it seems most people agree. It also feels better. I'm just struggling with the small areas and trying to make subtle movements. In Arena I almost never make small movements. Once in a while here and there I do but I am most successful with the quick in and out big sweeping movements.

On an unrelated note It seems like there should be a bit more time to get a hit in on a foe when they try for an overhead and miss because I sidestepped them. I've tried being quicker at it and just don't seem to be able to land a blow when the make this mistake. Once in a great great while I'll get lucky but it doesn't seem like it is quite right yet.

Also ducking under big heavy horizontal swings timed correctly is awesome though risky it pays off. I would like some kind of an up swing from that position. I'm getting pretty good at using it on certain enemies.

Last edited:

Conan

Insider
The undead are fighting much more aggressively than they were before. They attack wildly now without care. They seem faster. Taking damage doesn't affect their attack in the least.
I absolutely agree. Since the first zombie got the small axe he is much more difficult and very fast. Killed me quite a few times and now I have to drop the torch and use shield and wood to not loose too much health right in the beginning.

Murf

I absolutely agree. Since the first zombie got the small axe he is much more difficult and very fast. Killed me quite a few times and now I have to drop the torch and use shield and wood to not loose too much health right in the beginning.
Had the same exp. eventually just went past him. didn't bother to fight him, no need to open the door. It is possible, to open the door, let him come out, don;t stare at him, stay in explore mode, and then go int the room if you wish. But don't go into combat mode and don't stare at him. Or just leave door closed and go on your way :)

Paranoia

Insider
I never run away from a fight ;)
Also, in the chest in that room is a belt which I like to take for extra early protection.
That was exactly my thinking the first runs I tried.
Never made it trough.
Never.
Come back for him after you finished lvl 2, there are plenty belts in the sea.
And techincally you don't run. You just "don't see" him.
At least thats what I told myself.

Murf

I never run away from a fight ;)
Also, in the chest in that room is a belt which I like to take for extra early protection.
Ahh might not run away from one, but ya don;t have to start that one either ;-) and with this being a rogue, have to decide which fights to start and which ones to leave be for a little while. Fighting a guy with a hatchet(perm damage), first thing with no armor doesn;t always work out well for me. Reward vs. Risk, the belt doesn't protect you that much, you could skip him, go on through the next door ahead, fight the two that do temp dmg, gain padded trousers, gloves, and a machette. All that is much greater reward vs risk

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.