Exanima 0.4.2 Beta Released

0.4.2 locks up during installation and the archive reports a cabinet file fault, 0.4.1 installs/repairs correctly however, is anyone else experiencing this issue? 0.4.2 HF refuses to write to the system. (Repeated on 2 computers using windows 8.1 Home edition, both systems have had no issue running instances of the program up to this point.)

Tony

Insider
I had an issue with one of the recent patches. I ended up doing a full uninstall, then I downloaded the full installer instead of the patch and it solved the install problem.

Thanks for the response Tony, though the issue remains even after verifying all registry entries are clear of any instances of Exanima. The Installer locks up with a full progress bar on Extracting from Archive. The Archive version installs a few files then errors with a cabinet integrity fault. Going to let the installer set for about 30 minutes to see if it eventually figures itself out. The fact others are reporting the version works and installs correctly is frustrating to say the least.

(Archive fails on sound.rpk)

Last edited:

Tony

Insider
Thanks for the response Tony, though the issue remains even after verifying all registry entries are clear of any instances of Exanima. The Installer locks up with a full progress bar on Extracting from Archive. The Archive version installs a few files then errors with a cabinet integrity fault. Going to let the installer set for about 30 minutes to see if it eventually figures itself out. The fact others are reporting the version works and installs correctly is frustrating to say the least.

(Archive fails on sound.rpk)
I went to the control panel and used it to remove all Exanima entries. Then I checked to make sure all three folders were deleted (located in program files x86 and appdata; there are two Exanima folders and one Bare Mettle Entertainment folder). Next I downloaded the full installer and not the archive version to make sure the installer wasn't corrupted during the download. After that everything worked. I'm running Windows 7.

Brendan

Developer
Sounds like I better test it again on Windows 8.1!

I've just been doing some Wine testing on Mac OS and Linux and found that the archive doesn't work with that either, comes up with a similar cabinet corrupted message. I've found some new packaging software (for the archive) that works with Wine so will use that for future releases, presumably that'll solve the issue on 8.1 too...

In the meantime you could also try Right click > Run as administrator on the HF or main setup if you haven't already just in case that makes any diff.

Novado

Insider
2Devs

Also, as of right now there's no way of telling how much damage enemy suffered. Animation needs to be adjusted to visually represent enemy current health.
I still believe this is a must. A lot of the enjoyment comes from seeing how your actions impact things. Without this feature combat looks dull and enemies feel like puppets and not 'real' characters. You can clearly see it in your own video you just put out -- lots of great hits and opponents do not react in any believable way completely ignoring whatever damage you doing to them...

tiny lampe

Insider
A lot of the enjoyment comes from seeing how your actions impact things. Without this feature combat looks dull and enemies feel like puppets and not 'real' characters. You can clearly see it in your own video you just put out -- lots of great hits and opponents do not react in any believable way completely ignoring whatever damage you doing to them...
Yes but let's be fair here.

The vast majority of RPG games have no weapon collisions. As a result, attacking an opponent feels as if you were hitting thin air. Not in this game though, where hits are visibly stopped by flesh or armor and your opponents' bodies are even pushed aside due to the inertia of the hit. So you can already see how your actions (your crosshair movement, your steps...) impact things (opponent's bodies) to a much larger degree than in many games of this genre.

Now I'm not sure what kind of hit reactions you have in mind but maybe you want something like hits in unprotected legs causing the victim to drag around that leg and hits in unprotected arms causing the victim to have that arm hanging lifeless. Now let me tell you this: personally, I'd love that. It adds a ton to the belivability of the combat and it has important gameplay applications (you can incapacitate a target instead of killing it, if you are fighting multiple opponents and you incapacitate one, then the fight becomes easier...).

Having said all that, let's look at the CONS for a moment because that's also important.

First, a technical CON. Quoting Madoc:

everything that requires any kind of animation in this game requires a truly massive amount of work.
Since your suggestion would require a lot of animation work it would be very time-consumig to pull off. That in itself makes it a low priority now, when more pressing matters development-wise exist (the skill system, thaumaturgy, more content for ExAnima...)

Second, there are also gameplay CONs to this suggestion.

Since BareMettle absolutely wants the player and NPCs to follow the exact same rules, your suggestion would affect the player as well. Indeed; one clean hit to the leg and the player will be dragging his leg around unable to dodge and run. One good hit to an arm and forget about using a 2H weapon. This will make combat exponentially more unforgiving, because even if a hit doesn't kill you outright, it will make you much easier to defeat. And if you manage to win the fight but you are left say with one crippled leg and no means to heal it, then what?

Your suggestion would make the game extremely hardcore, and force players to avoid fighting as much as possible because dying would be much easier (and remember that in ExAnima dying means game over and in Sui Generis it means losing all your equipment unless you can find your corpse and it hasn't been scavanged yet). I'm not saying this is good or bad (in fact I'd be crazy enough to try it) but I'm not sure the devs want to go that route.

Very well put @tiny lampe
I thought it had been mentioned that enemies would put off audio cues in the future, just not a priority at the moment. @Novado Just seems a little unfair to blast the enemies in this game when there is so much more great stuff going on

Holy.Death

Insider
I might be wrong, but I recall developer(s) talking about reflecting the amount damage done to enemies? That's something I find severely lacking, because aside from knowing how good your recent blow was (a lot of blood, enemy stumbling, etc.) there is no way to estimate the total amount of damage sustained over time by your attacks. Even something as little as the amount of blood staying on target could help gauging the severity of injuries.

Murf

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.