Exanima 0.6.4.3

Roryn

Insider
To clarify, I bought him, tested out your stabbing theory, he died, so I rage quit. Then when I came back (loaded), he was fine.. :)
I see.. Sorry for making you RQ! Haha. But yeah, it's weird because that's not the case for me.

bobchaos

Madoc, should we understand from the OP that the engine's core features are now complete? If so, what's the next milestone?

Looks like I hopped on this train at precisely the right time! :D

Tony

Insider
Madoc, should we understand from the OP that the engine's core features are now complete? If so, what's the next milestone?

Looks like I hopped on this train at precisely the right time! :D
Hmm, I believe you may have misinterpreted the original post. Here's what it says:

"We're working towards some major features to support the rest of the story content and bring it to its conclusion, these are not ready yet..."

Core mechanics such as dialogue, thaumaturgy, etc. are still being worked on and not yet completed which are necessary for the story progression.

bobchaos

*snip!*
Core mechanics such as dialogue, thaumaturgy, etc. are still being worked on and not yet completed which are necessary for the story progression.
I'm distinguishing mechanics from core engine features, like lighting, movement and whatnot. I guess it's a vague question, sorry :/

I guess a better formulation would have been "Are the physics engine and motion synthesis system considered complete or should we expect further tweaking?" If so, then from here on it's probably all content and goodies :D

Tony

Insider
I'm distinguishing mechanics from core engine features, like lighting, movement and whatnot. I guess it's a vague question, sorry :/

I guess a better formulation would have been "Are the physics engine and motion synthesis system considered complete or should we expect further tweaking?" If so, then from here on it's probably all content and goodies :D
Well, that is actually answered in the first post as well with:

"Improving animation and gameplay has been a constant and often fruitless struggle from the first day of development. Realistically we'll never consider it truly finished, but this latest iteration has certainly brought them to a new level."

So yes, now that the animation system has been revamped things are functioning well enough to support dual wielding, ogre animations, etc. so the focus has shifted to other core mechanics that I mentioned above which are necessary in order to continue the story progression. However, animations/motion synthesis systems will continue to be improved upon/tweaked when time permits but hopefully no other game-breaking issues arise that require a major overhaul of the system like was necessary for the last update.

Once the core gameplay mechanics (dialogue system, thaumaturgy system, skill system, etc.) are all finished then the remaining content/areas should be quick to add. The events which unfold in the upcoming areas rely on these mechanics so they are a bit of a bottleneck.

AnotherDuck

I'm liking the new update. Just updating the game and starting with the old save files worked well.

Dual Wielding is fun. In the arena, I've almost always preferred the sword 'n board style, or a mace for tin can tiers (although I usually pick up a two-handed warhammer if I find one in Elimination for extra tin can opener power). Now I can replace the shield for some extra offensive power. You don't really hit significantly faster with two weapons, but you'll much more often get the second strike in, rather than binding your single weapon and end up hugging the opponent.

I haven't really noticed any significant difference in shield handling, although I don't have more than one or two shield skills so far. The opponents usually don't hit me often enough that the stamina bar goes down too far, and I can't really tell how I'm affecting them.

Merchant is great. Being able to specify what you want is much appreciated, since you'll have a much better chance of actually getting what you want. Then again, I just found an exceptional plate armour in the regular shop, so I'm broke anyway...

I did have some issues with equipping two of the same weapon for dual wielding (in this case two of the sharp short swords). First I equipped my character with two, then removed them, but when I tried to equip them again, it didn't work. Or at least, it seemed like it, but when I exited the management screen to the hub, and back again, they were equipped, so it looks like just a visual bug.

Somewhat related, but something that's been around for a while is that if I try to open an info window for a weapon of the same kind I already have a window open, the new window replaces the old one. I'd expect that to change when weapons get modifiers, and aren't all the same (assuming same base item) as they are now.

All in all, thumbs up. Both of them, now that I can dual wield.

Kyleson

in an age of games disappointing the hell out of me, i am glad to say that this is the only competent one out of the whole mix in my opinion and that i look forward to sui generis more than anything

bobchaos

in an age of games disappointing the hell out of me, i am glad to say that this is the only competent one out of the whole mix in my opinion and that i look forward to sui generis more than anything
There's a lot of great games being published by tiny studios in the wake of the early access programs. Granted, a lot of them are not great or just plain noobs traps, but I wouldn't go so far as to call this the "age of disappointing games".
You played Kerbal Space Program? It's a space flight and rocketery simulator that came out of a marketing firm that got bored doing marketing and it's AWESOME.

Played Planetary Annihilation? It was made by a small team of disgruntled devs who thought SupCom2 wasn't a worthy successor to Supreme Commander and is possibly the best RTS ever made (well, that's matter to interpretation but I'll never admit otherwise XD )

Played Darkest Dungeon? It's a bit repetitive but it's a madly entertaining and unforgiving roguelike that's actually narrated for you :D

Played Factorio? Great game that forces you to think like an engineer to achieve maximum efficiency.

Played Project Zomboid? Zombie apocalypse survival, done right, by another tiny studio called The Indie Stone. You've never seen so many zombies, and a single bite is 96% sure to kill you!

There's more great gaming than ever before, but it's all coming out of tiny, crowd-funded studios like Bare Mettle and is sometimes hiding among piles of garbage. But if you look carefully... !
The real issue is the AAA studios who have been churning out more of the same for over a decade at a furious rate... Those guys make me sad, and I'm not sure me mental health can survive another "Call of BattleField: Way cooler edition!", but, thankfully, new studios like BM and Squad (makers of KSP) and TIS are leading a gaming revolution in parallel by making things that the big studios won't dare.

Sorry, off topic rant, but I couldn't help myself :/

Kyleson

There's a lot of great games being published by tiny studios in the wake of the early access programs. Granted, a lot of them are not great or just plain noobs traps, but I wouldn't go so far as to call this the "age of disappointing games".
You played Kerbal Space Program? It's a space flight and rocketery simulator that came out of a marketing firm that got bored doing marketing and it's AWESOME.

Played Planetary Annihilation? It was made by a small team of disgruntled devs who thought SupCom2 wasn't a worthy successor to Supreme Commander and is possibly the best RTS ever made (well, that's matter to interpretation but I'll never admit otherwise XD )

Played Darkest Dungeon? It's a bit repetitive but it's a madly entertaining and unforgiving roguelike that's actually narrated for you :D

Played Factorio? Great game that forces you to think like an engineer to achieve maximum efficiency.

Played Project Zomboid? Zombie apocalypse survival, done right, by another tiny studio called The Indie Stone. You've never seen so many zombies, and a single bite is 96% sure to kill you!

There's more great gaming than ever before, but it's all coming out of tiny, crowd-funded studios like Bare Mettle and is sometimes hiding among piles of garbage. But if you look carefully... !
The real issue is the AAA studios who have been churning out more of the same for over a decade at a furious rate... Those guys make me sad, and I'm not sure me mental health can survive another "Call of BattleField: Way cooler edition!", but, thankfully, new studios like BM and Squad (makers of KSP) and TIS are leading a gaming revolution in parallel by making things that the big studios won't dare.

Sorry, off topic rant, but I couldn't help myself :/
ive got darkest dungeon and its a very fun game, but i guess im talking about age of AAA disappointment, where huge companies get so much money to make good games and then they dont make good games

to list a few:
no mans sky
the new halo games and how theyre being butchered
dark souls 3 (i can elaborate on that sometime if anyone wants)

it just seriously sucks to me that these huge companies seem to not care anymore at all
check this out, the passion with halo vs what is now

and i guess i dont really have any other examples at the moment but the things i was excited to play / looked cool just get fucking massacred by exanima at the moment and its basically an elaborate tech demo

i wish this game had a lot more attention than it does right now cause the devs seriously deserve it, theyre putting levels of care and passion into it comparable to the team behind the very first DOOM game and the halo devs (maybe even moreso) in that video

but yes i'll certainly check those other games out (i also have squad) thanks bud

Qazlal

where huge companies get so much money to make good games and then they dont make good games
no mans sky
dark souls 3
It was known from start that NMS will be shitty game where all budget goes to the marketing, what have you been expected from the company of amateurs making game about everything for a few years without a single gameplay demo?
It is also known that DS3 will be clone of DS1, and I don't like this beat'em up console ports where developers forgot to place checkpoints.
Darkest Dungeon is nice and simple game but it is no match to Exanima.

Kyleson

It was known from start that NMS will be shitty game where all budget goes to the marketing, what have you been expected from the company of amateurs making game about everything for a few years without a single gameplay demo?
It is also known that DS3 will be clone of DS1, and I don't like this beat'em up console ports where developers forgot to place checkpoints.
Darkest Dungeon is nice and simple game but it is no match to Exanima.
its more of the balls that the devs had, i didnt really want the game but jesus christ did they piss me off

ds3 wasnt a clone of ds1 at all, it was very similar to it mechanically. and it had the most checkpoints of the entire series, at bonfires. there were like 3-5 or more per level so i dont know where your argument is coming from
and i enjoyed dark souls 3's pve and story very much, but the motivation is lost when you realize that invading is shit, which is the whole other half of the game (pvp)

darkest dungeon is a different game and gives a feeling exanima doesnt, that's just how games are. exanima excels in nearly every department except storytelling and RPG feel for me. that's why sui generis should be filling those gaps when it's released

blobface

Insider
I hate to say it but as a backer and forum member since 2012, I still don't feel this game is a "game" yet, even to this day it feels like a demo (an amazing one) with an arena to allow us to beta test the combat.

I look forward to Sui Generis when it's released, and I hope it'll be something that feels more like a game for someone like me.

bobchaos

I hate to say it but as a backer and forum member since 2012, I still don't feel this game is a "game" yet, even to this day it feels like a demo (an amazing one) with an arena to allow us to beta test the combat.

I look forward to Sui Generis when it's released, and I hope it'll be something that feels more like a game for someone like me.
I think you're being harsh, it's an alpha, which implies it's not feature complete. Sure, 4 years is a damn long time compared to AAA studios, but those studios have humongous staffs, publish a whole lot of garbage and, more importantly, nothing original.

I do system administration and devops for a living, so while I'm not a proper dev myself I do code a fair bit and work very closely with developers, and the thing about coding is that you're creating things from scratch. No one has ever done anything like this engine, which implies experimentation, and sometimes you have to trash months of work because the path you were on turns out to be impossible or inefficient (due to technological limitations, usually). In most cases, you can't really know until you tried. This is actually one of the major reason AAA studios never do much in terms of real innovation: innovation is expansive and cares nothing for schedules and deadlines, while big public companies need to show profit on a regular basis or die murdered by their own shareholders. As a result, they settle into a comfortable routine of churning out (you guessed it!) more of the same year after year so long as it sells.

Ultimately, coding is not like stacking boxes in a warehouse, you can't count the boxes and say "hey, I'm halfway done", because tomorrow some asshole may pull the shelves from under your boxes or it may turn out the shelves can't support the boxes even though every calculation you made said it would. Those things don't usually happen in a warehouse, but they do all the time in the tech business.

That said, it seems the devs are now satisfied with the engine, so from now on I'm guessing all efforts should go towards content and features. Give it another year or so and this will be a full fledged game, at which point we can start anticipating SG :D

dabarrett

Insider
Only 'problem' I've noticed is that I have had the occasional swing or thrust where my weapon clipped through the opponents but not register a hit - this has mainly been with wide sweeps at the head. Another example was a registered hit to the the body but the sword appeared to stick out the enemies back briefly - whilst when using the billhook i was literally stabbing through one enemies body and coming out the other side with no hit registered.
I also have noticed clipping frequently too, mainly with 2h swords

blobface

Insider
I think you're being harsh, it's an alpha, which implies it's not feature complete. Sure, 4 years is a damn long time
I probably was being harsh, but like you I used to say the exact things you've said on the defensive on this very forum, there's no doubt the combat and inventory systems are very innovative, but like you said, they are engine features, not in itself a game, I guess 4 years is how long it took to break me, and also to be worried for them in terms of how much they have left to do and how that stacks up against their burn rate.. £160,000 / 4 is £40,000 a year, that's not a lot even for one person. I look forward to the full game as much as anyone here, just being honest about how I feel.

Last edited:

bobchaos

I probably was being harsh, but like you I used to say the exact things you've said on the defensive on this very forum, there's no doubt the combat and inventory systems are very innovative, but like you said, they are engine features, not in itself a game, I guess 4 years is how long it took to break me, and also to be worried for them in terms of how much they have left to do and how that stacks up against their burn rate.. £160,000 / 4 is £40,000 a year, that's not a lot even for one person. I look forward to the full game as much as anyone here, just being honest about how I feel.
Sorry you're losing faith :( I'm not sure what I could say to convince you to jump back on the hype train with us, but at least I'm fair sure these guys aren't in any sort of financial distress. You can feel it when devs and companies in general start running out of funds: they start compromising on quality so they can launch and get $$$, but I've seen no sign of that for Exanima. I'm guessing Steam sales on Exanima are more than enough to keep them afloat, and soon they'll be in a position to put SG into early access programs too, so if their wallet starts feeling tight they have that option too (not to mention other possible funding from 3rd parties).

Hang on man, we're gonna get both our games, and they're gonna be awesome :D

I'm guessing Steam sales on Exanima are more than enough to keep them afloat, and soon they'll be in a position to put SG into early access programs too, so if their wallet starts feeling tight they have that option too (not to mention other possible funding from 3rd parties).
I have the feeling that once they are feature locked, we will see it very quickly after that. Its awesome seeing it get better and better with every update. The UI needs polish, but that is cosmetic, and I am sure it will be saved for last.

Jenn BRD

Peasant135

Just wondering but is it possible to wear greaves and cuisses at the same time? Every time I try to wear both it get's rid of the other! Great update btw :)
Same problem: cant wear the greaves and cuisses at the same time, though those were clearly meant to go together.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.