First Impression Feetback

K.L.R.G.

Hello, I've purchased Exanima today immediately after seeing Skallagrims Video about it.
And I have to say that I really like the combat approach. It's one of those systems that you have to practice forever to get good at, but that's fine by me (I'm a huge fan of the Soul's Games and the first Mount & Blade).

So here are some of my thoughts starting as a total noob.

First thing I does to get a grip of the game was going in the Arena Mode and train for an hour. The one thing I would suggest here is after you die in the arena to make a quick for restarting with the same character and equipment. I always went on exit and went back to the arena-mode. After some time I found out that if I hit ESC and "Start new Game" I could go back to the character-settings ... Still a little bit tidious ...
A simple selection of option after you die like:
"Restart"
"Go to Character Configutation"
"Go to Weapon Equipment"
"Exit"
would be the most comfortable solution in my mind.

Another thing ... You should hint somewhere ingame that changing the bodyshape is actually changing your attribute (which is a really cool feature by the way). I only read it on the site somewhere. Although I really wonder if size matters too? I always played on maximum size and don't know if this would be a disadvantage. Actually being bigger should help in close combat (the moments when you literally stand in an enemy), while being smaller should make you a harder target from a distance in my opinion.

Another thing I haven't seen so far ... Are there any knives in this game? Especially against fighters with longer weapons that can't do much against you if you come close enough you should be able to knive them down in my opinion ... (In reality a spearman would drop his weapon and draw a shorter weapon anyway ...)

I haven't come far in the actually game yet because like I said ... It's a system that'll take a long time to get into so I won't comment much on the battlesystem yet. Without practice I can't objectively say anything about it aside from looking incredibly realistic for a videogame ...

But what I can say is something about the other stuff from the perspective of a totally noob playing for the first time (and I have a suggestion for the Equipment-System at the end of this, so I hope you read to the end):

First of all I really like the fact that you can use improvised weapons like chair legs or barrel lids as shields. Really great stuff that I'm looking since forever in games ...

But there comes the tidious part ... I haven't get past more than two enemys yet. Most of the time the enemys killed me easily because I had that long iron nail thing(???) and couldn't do anything useful with it ... Later I found out that you actually can use the barrel lids and so on ... (Maybe you should consider a hint about that or another letter in your inventory that suggest stuff like "Use everything you can get as a weapon" or something like that ... This might really help players who start without any let's play knowledge ...)

I also tried a stealth approach which helped me getting a clue of the area before I stumbled into an enemy and get butchered. Maybe I should have tried that more but anyway ...

One of the things I tried to use are the physics. Especially putting ladders and chairs over enemys to block them with some mixed success ... It doesn't helped much but it's still strange that you can put stuff on the enemys ...
And I'm still unsure if the skyrim-bucket trick worked or not ...
Sometimes the enemys react, sometimes not. Their perception is a bit strange. Sometimes they can see you even if you hide behind a door in the dark and sometimes not. I'm also not sure if they react to sound or just light ... One trick to attract them was laying a torch on the ground ... Most of the times they went there looking although you didn't get a really good surprise-bonus ... Most of the times they just maimed me again although I should have atleast be able to land a blow in their back or something like that ...

Another thing ... I read in your first note that appears when the game opens for the first time, that not all enemys will attack you instantly ... ... ... WHY?

Is there some ingame reason like the plague-thing in Dark Souls? In one room there was that enemy that just doesn't attacked me (the forge??) And I went in took some stuff and wanted to go out and I had that moment where she stood there not attacking and I wanted to go past her out again and then she attacked ... It was frustrating ... " I thought we where cool with each other, dammit ... ;____; "

... Not that I mind if they are strange Zombie-thingys ... But ... There should be some ingame hint. There is being thrown into a strange situation and there is what the fuck ... Because I don't know if this was a bug ... Wasn't she attacking me because she didn't see me or was it supposed to be??? As long as they have no clue what so ever players will think this is a bug more than anything else ...

I would love it if there would be peaceful guys who don't decide at some point to attack you. Or peaceful areas like in Ultima Underworld ...

By the way ... I love the fact that you can actually block doors with some objects ... Although I'm not a big fan of opening/closing the doors ... It's annoying that you have to stay away from the door or else it wouldn't open if you pull it in your direction ... It feels really stiff and I hope that in the future the character will just step back or something (atleast outside of the combat mode)

So yeah ... I'm not that far yet and my current strategy is taking shield and leg of a chair, trying to kill somehow one of the first enemys with an axe and get it. It's the only useful weapon I found yet and to be honest ... it's really frustrating to do the same tidious thing over and over ...

"Pick up barrel-lid" "Pick up leg of chair" "Got to the Door" "Lay down the torch" "Equip barrel lid and leg of chair" "Open the door and try not to die" "Pick up the Axe" "Go to the end of the corridor" "Block 2 of 3 doors with ladder and plank" "Open one door and die or get so heavily wounded that the next enemy will get you anyway"
-> And that's the stuff I was doing over and over and over and over until I decided to stop the game. I'm sure there are better ways to get decent weapons in the beginning but the only way to figure that out is going to google it ... Which is in my opinion not a good solution ... because even if I sneak around and might find somewhere a weapon/armour or something like that ... It will be gone the moment I die so it isn't worth sneaking and exploring stuff yet ...

Instead I would suggest an idea for a system I come up with lately that would fit perfectly:

New Item/Equipment Solution:
As soon as you have found any kind of object in the game (Picked it up and put it in the inventory for example) you can choose that specific kind the next time from the beginning.

So you picked up barrel lid and chair leg. Fine, from now on you can pick it to equip your character in the beginning with it. And if you have killed the guy with the axe and picked that up, next time you start new you can have that axe from the beginning and do not have to defeat that guy again and again and again ...
Same goes with aquiring armour and so forth ...

This would increase the gameflow very much and it would also enhance the drive to find every possible item for sake of collecting it ...

If you fear that this might have some imbalance you could combine that with a simple shop-system. You start with 200 gold in Level 1 ... The starting cloth costs all in all 15 to 50 gold and additional weapons/armours cost around 25 to 100 gold ... So the player can't use the big heavy plate mail in the first level ...
But as soon as you reach level 2 or have killed a nr of enemys or have any other progression your starting gold improves ... So if you have reached level 2 you can start to buy equipment worth of 400 gold for example ...

Maybe you have some other solutions in mind or maybe you get better equipment after completing the levels but in my opinion it's to frustrating even for the more or less frustration resistant Souls-Game-Crowd ... Maybe there is an easy to find equipment in the beginning ... I haven't found it yet and I don't want to spoil the game with google/let's plays ... that's what point&click-adventures are for ...

I hope you can use that feedback to some degrees and I'm really excited to see where this game will go from this point on. It has great potential!

K.L.R.G.

Day 2 Feedback:
I'm starting to get the gist of it and I start to understand the level design much better now. I started to explore more and actually found the sledge hammer, my current favorit weapon.

My current tactic consists of sneaking to the room with the pair of gloves & a sledgehammer and than starting to kill enemys one by one. And I start to see how you can progress in this game. One major hint should be that you are better of fighting as few enemys as possible ... (you could show this when the player dies or something like that ...)

Another point that you should make clear from the beginning is that you can loot enemy bodys and chests with double-clicking. I didn't know that at all and I found it out by accident. These are things you should mention to new players somewhere in the beginnings ...

What I totally loved was the fact that you allow to put different kinds of cloths on top of each other! I'm looking for that feature since forever in games, so I'm really happy with that ...

And than after I really started to get good in one run, sadly the game crashed ... I had collected lot of useless(?) stuff in the inventory like bottles, weapons, cloths and so on ... So I started to put them out of the inventory on the ground one by one and at some point the game just crashed ... ... ...

And I'm not convinced that changing the body-shape does do anything useful yet. You get fat and slow or you get strong and fast and not much else as far as I can see it ... ... ...

Another point ... As soon as I pick up some additional cloths my character starts naked when I have to start a new game ... That's a bit tidious ...

My main suggestion are some kind of important hints that appear when you die in the game so that the player might be motivated to change his behaviour and/or starts to understand why he is dying. For example something like: "If you have trouble with the enemys, start to sneak and find a decent weapon first" ... That would give the player a hint of what the game is actually capable of instead of letting him die over and over without haven any clue of other options ...

Edit: Another thing ...
I only realised very lately that the w-a-s-d-movement didn't focus on the current enemy but the mouse-cursor. So before I really wondered what kind of drunk and stupid movement the character does like turning her back to the enemy and so forth ... A simple hint about that might help a lot to get into it faster ...

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to Exanima :)

I believe that when you launch the game for the first time you get to read a message that says :
"IMPORTANT do not close this message read carefully the following :
Exanima is a game like no other, permanent death, here are the basics controls and interactions etc..."

Permadeath is why you can't start a new game with clothes skills or weapons you had in the last game.
Lately a check-point system had been implemented at the end of levels.

The height or the body shape and mass of your character do really effect the game-play as the game is truly physics-based ( read this topic ).

For hints go to steam and find the community guide, I believe there not that much spoilers and you learn useful things like how to use keys to open doors and beginner's tactics).

Edit : Linked Steam's community guide by SwitchOff

NachoDawg

Hi! welcome to the forum! Glad to hear Skallagrim is expanding the community :D

Do you remember how ridiculous the enemies were when you first started Dark Souls? Like, the normal undead guys around the Fire shrine? That's a lot like how Exanima is. After you've beat the three current levels a few times, you'll have no idea how you struggled that much at the beginning :) (we all die to them still occasionally though, no shame in that)

Do you remember how little you knew of the Dark Souls lore at the beginning too? Yup, this games is like that too. You have to progress a lot, read a lot of lore and put pieces together on your own before it makes any sense. Exanima doesn't have a neat intro-film like Dark Souls did that explained the world, but it's still in alpha. Maybe it'll be there when the game is more complete.

The zombies behavior is a bit difficult to understand, but basically, they all have individual personalities. All that really means is that they take different degrees of provocation to aggro. Some completely ignore you, some attack on sight. Most of them attack you once you turn your back or swing your weapon. If one stops and looks at you funny, but doesn't attack, walk out of the room backwards or prepare to fight!

It's important to understand that you don't have to kill every zombie you run into. You can beat the game without killing anything. (Either run away from them or lock them inside rooms. Stealth is not implemented yet. They also can't open doors that are completely closed) For example, you don't have to kill the ax guy behind the first door! Though you might want to do it if you feel the risk is worth it for the chest in the back of the room.

Ax-guy spoiler
You can simply walk past him to get to the chest in the back. to do this, you have to walk past him on the left side (his right), close the door behind you so he doesn't wander into the hall. Then get the chest. Walk past him the same way as before and close the door after you leave. Touching or attacking the air will aggro him.

Hint for a better weapon near the start
Machete:
The door to the right of the glove-room: walk in the door, to the right, look at the shelves. There's a machete laying there for your taking. It has more range than the ax, and it's sharper than the hand-saw some enemies carry around the starting area.

Hint for what you need to do to progress from the starting area
You are looking for a key that opens the two doors near the starting area. The key is on a table next to a dead man sitting in a chair. If you see a hallway that is closed by a portcullis, you are in the right hallway to that room.

Hint for a better weapon near the start
Machete:
The door to the right of the glove-room: walk in the door, to the right, look at the shelves. There's a machete laying there for your taking. It has more range than the ax, and it's sharper than the hand-saw some enemies carry around the starting area.
Or
Cage bar, onehanded, it's little bit slower than machete but longer. It lying in the room to the left of the glove-room.

ZaratanCho

Insider
Yeah though height and body shape/mass does have an affect on gameplay. Fat/slim is bigger/smaller target, height is more reach etc. Fatter is easier to push people around.

Pilluminati

Insider
Yeah though height and body shape/mass does have an affect on gameplay. Fat/slim is bigger/smaller target, height is more reach etc. Fatter is easier to push people around.
Yep, and height affects movement, balance and where you land your hits too. Still, most of the stuff said in that thread is pure speculation and mostly incorrect.

K.L.R.G.

@StrikerJG1 :
I have read the starting message. Guess what ... I had forgotten most of it the moment I started the game, especially when I first started the arena-mode to train a little bit. That is why games have tutorials or some kind of hints at the beginning of the game that explain the basics ... Even the notoriously anti-informative Soulds-Series does that to a degree ... xD

@NachoDawg :
Thanks for the advice. I found out most of that while playing this noon.
But I stay by my idea of keeping stuff you have already found. Or at least keeping the keys and similar stuff so that you are able to progress much much faster. That was the great design-difference between Demon's souls and Dark Soul's ... As soon as you have found a bonfire or another kind of shortcut you do not have to do the same tidious stuff over and over again ...

And another big difference ... You loose your souls in the Soulsgames when you die, but you keep any kind of items. So even if you die you do not have to start from the bare bones ... It would motivate you much more to explore and find stuff if you're not going to loose it ... ... ...

I do not have a problem with trying an area over and over again. That's fine, but I want to have some kind of useful progression and have a chance to keep atleast some of the equip. The game is dragging its gameplay when it forces you over and over again to do one part of the dungeon just to get the basic equipment and key ...

Why not keep the key and maybe Armour and Weapons ... It would increase the flow and it would still be a difficult game ...

I have read the starting message. Guess what ... I had forgotten most of it the moment I started the game, especially when I first started the arena-mode to train a little bit. That is why games have tutorials or some kind of hints at the beginning of the game that explain the basics ... Even the notoriously anti-informative Soulds-Series does that to a degree ... xD
Yeah, that's why I suggest you to read the community guide on Steam, gives you tips :)

I do not have a problem with trying an area over and over again. That's fine, but I want to have some kind of useful progression and have a chance to keep atleast some of the equip. The game is dragging its gameplay when it forces you over and over again to do one part of the dungeon just to get the basic equipment and key ...

Why not keep the key and maybe Armour and Weapons ... It would increase the flow and it would still be a difficult game ...
I guess it is the permadeath concept :D
Don't worry, after few hours of gameplay (and arena !) you will find out it is not that hard to take down those "zumbies", even 2 or 3 at the same time (but this last idea involves a bit of luck and/or strategy) ;)

K.L.R.G.

@StrikerJG1:
It isn't hard indeed ... If you would keep the good armour and weapons you have found ... Instead it isn't hard but tidious ... that's why I keep complaining ...

There would be no difference in the difficulty, the only thing you would get rid of is farming the same god damn part over and over and over again only to get killed early in the next section of the dungeon. This has nothing to do with personal skill ... I have already fought 2 Zombies at a time ... So I have proven that I'm capable of doing this ... Then why is the game expecting me to do the same section over and over again ...?

And even if you would keep only the keys! Just keeping the keys so that you can directly went into the next part of the level ... Would be enough ... But no ... I have to farm this one section over and over and do it without taking damage (I've done this 4 or 5 times now and I know all positions of all potential chests and items and it just gets boring ...) ... It's like playing Diablo II ... but with loosing all your shit ... And the one thing I really really like about this game is that it's not like Diablo II ...

And Perma-Death is NO argument. Because ... Guess what ... your skills improve although you die over and over again? So let's be honest ... there is no Perma-Death ... There is a Loose-Your-Items-Death ...

And I don't complain to the community, or try to get tips and all that ... I try to give the developers relatively unbiased first impressions. The one thing most developers would kill for ... :p
So I hope they'll see that and get some ideas how to make the game more comfortable without going the stupid route of reducing enemyhitpoints, putting savepoints everywhere or even worse put in a choose-difficulty-option ...

And Perma-Death is NO argument. Because ... Guess what ... your skills improve although you die over and over again? So let's be honest ... there is no Perma-Death ... There is a Loose-Your-Items-Death ...
Never noticed you keep skills. Good thing; I'm going to max them :D

Don Kanaille

Insider
Keeping at least a part of your experience was added specifically to ease the game a bit. If you keep trying hard enough, at least your character gets better.

I know the beginning can be tedious if you die too often. But once you get a hang of things you can actually blaze through the first part in 1 or 2 minutes and continiue after the locked doors. Once you reach the first checkpoint (enable checkpoints in the options) you´re set from there. You can also rush to said cechkpoint, turn around and explore what you skipped from there on.

Tony

Insider
You can also rush to said cechkpoint, turn around and explore what you skipped from there on.
I'm not sure what the point of doing so would be? If you rush to the 2nd level then returned to the first only difference is you'd start at the 2nd level instead of the first upon death, but you'd still have no decent armor or weapons since you rushed passed all those :p. I suppose you'd also gain a bit of XP for exploration while heading to the second level.

Tony

Insider
There's little good stuff at level 1 anyway >.>
You can be pretty decked out on level one if you have good luck with RNG loot. On my last playthrough I found a superior plate chest piece, superior plate bracers, a chain coif and spaulders all on the first level.

You can be pretty decked out on level one if you have good luck with RNG loot. On my last playthrough I found a superior plate chest piece, superior plate bracers, a chain coif and spaulders all on the first level.
A chance out of a million !

NachoDawg

What do you mean by 'superior'? aesthetic preface or is there some item-type I've never seen before? :O

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.