Flailing

Jimmini

Insider
One thing that just recently began getting seriously on my nerves, is enemies in the arena flailing wildy with their weapons and, additionally, not letting me any space to start my own attacks. For every step I take backwards, they take one forwards, and since they dont hit me by swinging, they abort their attack every time and abuse the feint mechanic where they can immediately start another attack, without any pause (like they had to make, had they fully swung their weapon). Sooner or later I'm out of space and they hit me. This only happens with certain characters. Especially bad is the combination fat with shield and sword or bar mace, but recently they conspired with the halberd wielders, so they go berserk-style too now. They flail like crazy as if they were getting attacked by bees or something. Some fights are basically just about who attacks first and faster, no sign of tactics. It even got so bad that I actually lost a fight! That's insanity!

It's not that bad in this video, as he doesn't do it constantly and leaves a bit of space at least. (And sorry for the quality.)

Tony

Insider
Hmm in that video I noticed you're always squared up and not circling or moving at angles and you're also staying in ideal striking range for the opponent rather than closing the distance. In both of these situations you're basically taunting the opponent to strike at you.

Here's how they react when you don't always position yourself to be in ideal striking range:

Basically, if your fighting style is one-dimensional it makes it much easier for NPC AI to predict what you're going to do and successfully counter it. The more you mix things up the less likely the NPC AI is going to be able to cope with everything and the bigger advantage you'll have (and they won't behave like in the video you posted in the OP).

it gets particularly bad with shield users, who seem to give you absolutely no space and are constantly rubbing against you. i think it would be good if some NPCs did this, (played super aggressively) and others didnt.

right now i feel like im constantly backpedaling in every fight.

Jimmini

Insider
Hmm in that video I noticed you're always squared up and not circling or moving at angles and you're also staying in ideal striking range for the opponent rather than closing the distance. In both of these situations you're basically taunting the opponent to strike at you.
Of course, but that's exactly what I tried to achieve here, to show their flailing. It's not how I actually fight. But the reason why I move backwards in a straight line is to get furthest away from the opponent. Like I said, the one in the video does leave me some space, but others with shield and sword always stay within reach and when they flail around I have no chance to swing a long two-handed weapon, because they hit me first or they get too near for me to be able to attack. But it's really only with some enemies, not all.

Tony

Insider
Of course, but that's exactly what I tried to achieve here, to show their flailing. It's not how I actually fight. But the reason why I move backwards in a straight line is to get furthest away from the opponent. Like I said, the one in the video does leave me some space, but others with shield and sword always stay within reach and when they flail around I have no chance to swing a long two-handed weapon, because they hit me first or they get too near for me to be able to attack. But it's really only with some enemies, not all.
I understand you were just making a demonstration vid and not actually fighting but who stays in the ideal attack range for the opponent and perfectly squared up all the time? Again, if you're in the ideal position to be struck it makes sense for the NPC to attempt to hit you. If you retreat constantly it makes sense for them to pursue you since their one goal in the arena is to defeat you -- this is why I pointed out that if you start circling, closing the distance, etc. (not using "one-dimensional" movements) then they behave completely differently (as shown in the video I linked above).

I'm not seeing really anything that looks out of the ordinary... how else is an NPC supposed to react to someone constantly retreating when their sole purpose in the arena is to defeat you? It would be more useful if you were to post actual footage of you fighting so we could see what the specific problem is under normal conditions rather than a scenario which doesn't reflect normal gameplay.

There are other options than simply retreating when an opponent is being overly aggressive. In the above video I used body checks to prevent the opponent from swinging their weapon followed up with an attack of my own. Circling is also useful when they swing non-stop because they are leaving openings every single time they commit to a strike and/or overextend; if you time your sidestep properly you'll not only dodge the attack but also have access to their now exposed flanks. Thrusts are another tactic I used to stop an overly aggressive opponent in the above video. If you backpedal - or even stand still if they have a shorter weapon - then they'll run straight into your thrust (if timed properly).

Jimmini

Insider
You are right that it is the sole purpose of the arena. I don't question why they try to hit me but how they do it. This aggressive flailing just doesn't seem realistic and neither something someone would try to do in real life. Also, I don't think it makes sense that they have to pause when they completely swing a weapon but don't have to when they abort half-way, although their weapon is at it's top speed at that time already. It's even worse through the fact that they don't get tired by doing so. I'm just posting my observations here.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.