Food and effects on physique

Nomad

That is what I said. Just food instead of Potions, salves, drugs. IMO potion is the worst way to go about it. And I didn't say food gives full health. It all comes back to fairness. You shouldn't run around with almost no health with next to no chance of finding blue goo. A realistic take on in would be bandaging one self and rest. Again, maybe not up to full health, but a bit, to have a fighting chance. Untill one can get a proper treatment - or magic, bah!

Elaxter

Insider
Food healing you makes no sense. It's food. If I have a stab in my arm no amount of food is going to heal it. A bandage or magical salve or some drugs to ease the pain makes a whole lot more sense than food. Who knows how healing items will be distributed in Sui Generis. In Exanima, they are hard to come by because the game is short. Perhaps after level 3 we will see more healing salves.

@Zotis. Sure you can clear the game without using a weapon, but that's a challenge. An optional secondary thing. It's not fully intended to be that way. A majority will fight enemies because of loot, for experience, and for fun.

Nomad

Food healing you makes no sense. It's food. If I have a stab in my arm no amount of food is going to heal it. A bandage or magical salve or some drugs to ease the pain makes a whole lot more sense than food. Who knows how healing items will be distributed in Sui Generis. In Exanima, they are hard to come by because the game is short. Perhaps after level 3 we will see more healing salves.

@Zotis. Sure you can clear the game without using a weapon, but that's a challenge. An optional secondary thing. It's not fully intended to be that way. A majority will fight enemies because of loot, for experience, and for fun.
The body needs food and rest to heal. A bandage does nothing but stopping the blood so it can clot. I think we pretty much agree. We are just saying it differenty.

I can clear the game too with no weapons. I think we think about games completly differently. I don't care to just complete it or almost at all. I play for enjoyment, immersion and atomsphere. I roleplay. I never try to make leaderboards, do a naked runthrough or the most perfect or speedest walkthrough.

Elaxter

Insider
This is getting nowhere. You're basically wanting the game to be more immersive for the sake of it. How do you go about eating and resting? Eat a sandwich, rest for 5 hours, and you're all better? What happens in those 5 hours? Does time speed up or does the screen fade to black? Do you get attacked, kidnapped, or worse? Can you get attacked? Is there a limit to how much you can sleep? It's simple to give a suggestion, but you have to look at it from different angles. What might seem like something immersive and cool is tedious and dull.

I play some games to be immersed, too. But immersion comes second. Good gameplay = good immersion.

Zotis

It's a little bit annoying that you don't attempt to grasp the implications of being able to overcome situations in other ways besides combat. You completely missed the point I was trying to make @Elaxter.

Maybe you should watch the trailer again and try to see what you're missing about how the game is intended to be played.

I don't mean this in a harsh or condescending way. I generally want you to grasp the full scope of the game.

:)

Elaxter

Insider
Don't smiley face me, pal. I've been playing the beta since the 23rd of March and been following it (lightly, I might add) since 2012, so don't tell me what I don't understand.

What I'm saying is that this game was released as a "here you go" kind of game. It wasn't even meant to come out. It was released solely for the purpose of showing the people who funded what to expect combat-wise when Sui Generis comes out. Exanima is just a vehicle for showing development for Sui Generis without using boring blogs and hands-off videos.

The game is intended to be played a number of ways. The primary way it is played is hacking your way through enemies and enjoying the detail of it all. Exanima is a combat demo, while Sui Generis is going to be an immersive RPG featuring everything from Exanima and more. If you're sitting here trying to tell me that Exanima is supposed to be played passively, where you just walk around in the dark with a torch running away from the enemy, I will tell you that you have no idea what you're talking about and you should just stop playing.

I play cautiously when I play Exanima. It is definitely not the game to be running around at full speed if you're not seasoned or you're not good at fighting. You take it one step at a time. But to completely avoid combat and try to tell me that it's "intended to be played" like that? You're crazy.

There are no other ways to avoid combat other than running away from or avoiding the enemy all together. You can't yield, you can't negotiate, you can't even incapacitate.

We are getting completely off topic here.

To recap: food as a healing object is a no-go.

Zotis

The game is intended to be played a number of ways.
That's all I wanted to hear you say.

If you're sitting here trying to tell me that Exanima is supposed to be played passively, where you just walk around in the dark with a torch running away from the enemy, I will tell you that you have no idea what you're talking about and you should just stop playing.
I never said that. I never implied that in any way, shape, or form.

Elaxter

Insider
That's a downright lie that you didn't imply that. Before your previous post, you said, and I quote

Zotis said:
But I can clear the game without using a weapon.
This implies that your following post was shooting down the idea that Exanima was combat oriented.

We're completely off topic and we should stop.

Holy.Death

Insider
The game is combat heavy. Even though you can avoid some encounters. In fact there is little else you can do besides fighting. Exanima is much closer to dungeon crawler, while Sui Generis aims at RPG experience.

Hot Soup

I find it offensive when someone tries to dictate to me what my implications are instead of asking when they don't know @Elaxter.
>The game isn't really that combat heavy
>btw, here is a video of me clearing the areas without fighting anyone
>I can clear the game without using a weapon
>WOW MAN, what do you mean I think exanima isn't combat based? Assumptions much???
>I didn't mean any of what my previous posts said at all, and shame on you for thinking otherwise

Lol, okay.
Sorry for the necro, but you need some self-awareness.

MindSliver

See I disagree that food shouldn't heal you... Think about how functional medicine works. Say you were stabbed. What do they do for you? They clean the wound to make sure it doesn't get infected. They sew up the flesh and bandage it to prevent it from bleeding and hold the pieces together.... So far, none of this has helped you to heal... it has ONLY given your body the best case scenario for it to heal itself. That's pretty much how medicine works... it takes away the things that would prevent your body from healing itself. Food is an important part of the healing process... Now I'm not saying it should heal you quickly but given that it's a game you also can't expect someone to wait for the body to heal after 3-6 weeks of in game time.

I think I'd like to see you heal naturally over the course of time. Maybe 5-7 in game days to go from almost dead to full health. If you're eating good food and getting lots of rest (two requisites for quick healing) you could reduce the amount of time it takes to heal completely to say 3-4 days.

This would mean that being injured is still a big deal. and you'll probably still have to be out there in the trenches when not at full health... but at least you don't have to be rooting around the un-dead infested depths looking for a pungent jar of mystery goo to rub on your boo boo's since you can't heal without it.

Granted this is more Sui Generis territory as Exanima doesn't really have days... just one long drudge through the dark.

Achul

I'd like this to be available for a hardcore difficulty in Sui (not so much in Exanima).

I imagine there this system could add a sense of urgency that old arcades added with a time limit by forcing you to complete let's say a dungeon portion of the game before you run out of food and start starving.

It would add a sense of urgency to mazes as well.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.