Games with great stories

Scarecrow

Insider
So, no too much going on on the forums lately, so i figured i'd post something here in the off-topic section.

I'm looking for games with great stories, that offers a deep and unique experience. Haven't been able to find a good game in quite some time, but i'd like to have something to play at night during this huge vacation.

Now, the genre or how old the game is isn't important to me. Right now however, im looking for games with a deep story to play. Good gameplay is always a plus. And well, if you know of a game with great gameplay, but not so great story, feel free to post it here aswell (Mount&Blade, Total War, etc.)

Also, creating threads like this contributes to keep the forum more active, so why not.
Please go ahead and post suggestions and discuss :D

I'd like to start with saying that the Metal Gear series is the best game series i've played, with a truly amazing (but very complex) story. Played through the series (even the original MSX ones) many times over, and certainly enjoyed every minute of it.

Well,I have nothing to suggest with a great story, but, if you've never played them, the zelda games are amazind adventure games. If I had to recommend a game to someone to kill time, it would definitely be The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. It's been rated as the best game of all time countless times by different review sites and is excellent if you can get past the dated graphics.

I've not played them, but I hear that TellTale's walking dead game is amazing but I have no idea if it has a deep story.

Parco

The story of the walking dead was good, but i dont like the gameplay, in one way it was like watching a movie and you could decide if you wanted to turn left or right, else from that i tend to turn away from games that uses action keys/hot keys/smashingthebuttonuntillitbreaks,.... i have no idea what its called, the thing when the "press f to force open" or "tap f rapidly" or something, for me that kind of function ruins alot of the gameplay.
Assassins creed 1 and 2 is good, the brother hood was good until the last bossfight, you could do any kind of crazy combo you wanted that would normally kill 10 heavy dudes with axes but it didnt do s*** in dmg on the boss even on clean hits, but after a set amount of time you got into close combat and had to press 1 button rapidly to remove a piece of his armor, if successful he would loose alot of hp but still godlike defense after that, repeat until no armor left. last time i played AC

Scarecrow

Insider
Yeah, Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time is hands down one of the best games i have played. Actually played it on my old N64 awhile back, and had a blast with it again.

I watched a friend play through an episode of Walking Dead and it was cool. However, it didn't look much fun to play, and the story alone didn't quite cut it for me. It had nothing to do with it being a point and click though, as there are some great point and clicks out there (Grim Fandango, Broken Sword, Monkey Island etc).

I find the Assassins Creed games enjoyable, with overall decent gameplay and decent story, although way to easy game. Requires nothing out of you to own 10 armored opponents at once.

I'd also like to say, for those who didn't play it, that Conkers Bad Fur Day is a great N64 game. Truly genius and hilarious.

Lathspell

if you like RPG maybe you should check baldur's gate I and II and those old rpg's icewind dale I & II

maybe you should check fallout series as well, since fallout 1, 2 and tactics if you don't like turn based games and old 2d graphics then check out fallout 3 and new vegas (fallout endings make you cry).

put an eye to morrowind

a lot of people talks about final fantasy VII never played though,

silent hill saga (konami) same as MG series but different director and if you like horror games, there's an underrated game called alone in the dark for ps1 I think is pretty cool

that's the limit of my memory, mostly old games

agree with you metal gear has a great deep plot, that should be a critical point in video games, but sadly nowadays seems that the most important thing in games is good graphics and cool visual effects

Scarecrow

Insider
I can definitely say that Final Fantasy VII is a great game with a good story, you should check i out. Although combat can get a bit repetitive at times.

Fallout 3 and NV are also good games, though i haven't played the old ones, maybe i should have a go at them.

Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale are games I've always meant to play at one point, but really never did. Is it possible for coop in those games?

I've played one Silent hill game, and i really liked it, some twisted stuff going on there.

As for Morrowind, I've only played it a bit, but is it better than Oblivion? I think Oblivion was better than Skyrim, so if Morrowind beats that again, i think i'll have to try it out some more.

Komuflage

Insider
Fallout 1 and 2 is a must, really great games, and the freedom is amazing.

Baldur's gate 1/2 and Icewind dale 1/2 are also great rpgs with good storys and (imo) decent gameplay (I prefer turn based in games like that) all four of them have co-op for 2-6 players.

NeverWinter Night 1/2 are also two really great Rpgs, a bit better graphics than the others (Although IMO I prefer the older graphics in these games, it's charming) Also multiplayer for I think up to 6players.

Divine Divinity 1 is a great old Rpg, the story ain't as great as in BG, but the gameplay is imo better so it makes up for it. Only singleplayer though.

Divine Divinity 2 is a good rpg as well, much newer so better graphics. It's a 3:rd person rpg instead of isometric ans previous mentioned titles. It's a good game if you can look past what I see as major flaws. (Won't mention them, as u might not think of them otherwise)

Then u've Temple of elemental evil, which imo is the best old DnD Rpg. the story is not as good as some other, but it has the best gameplay. You control 1-8 characters. Turn based combat, with a lot of options for different attacks and moves. (Skill full) A lot of options and so on.
I recommend to download Circle of 8 mod pack for it though, it creates a few bugs, but also remove most of the major gamebreaking bug from vanilla. (And those that still exist, u can work around.)

Planescape torment is another Great title by Black Isle studios. Best story of all these games, and gameplay like BG/IwD.

Witcher 2 if you haven't played it yet, great graphic, and freedom closely to as it was in the older titles.

Alan Wake, Imo a good story, and good gameplay, it also gets a bit stressful at times, but it's nice when the adrenalin starts pumping.

Sacred, fun, diablo like gameplay, unique classes (Vampire, Seraphim, Daemon and dwarf + standard classes.) all of them very different from another. Co-op.

Nox, another really good old Rpg with 3 different storys depending on what class u pick.

Geneforge 1-5, I've not have time to play this yet, but I heard good things about it, it's one of the older RPGs.

Chrono Trigger, haven't played this yet, but I've heard it's one of the best Adventure/rpg game ever.

I agree that Oblivion is better than Skyrim and honestly from the 30 minutes I've played of Morrowind I thought it was the best of them all. However, I had to stop playing because I couldn't handle the poor graphics and I couldn't use the combat system. But in terms of open-world RPG it is the best. Skyrim is obviously the best in terms of action though.

ZaratanCho

Insider
Fallout 1 and 2 are awesome, i liked 2 (i tnink) more. It doesn't look bad so i think the graphics will not be a problem for you. Arcanum is not bad too, but fallout 2 is much better for me. All have amazing atmosphere and really draw you in when you get into them.

Lathspell

As for Morrowind, I've only played it a bit, but is it better than Oblivion? I think Oblivion was better than Skyrim, so if Morrowind beats that again, i think i'll have to try it out some more.
if you're talking about story and plot I personally think skyrim is the worst, extremely lineal and trivial I mean, you're the hero and you have to kill dragons, the same in dawnguard, in dragonborn addon the plot is more interesting

about oblivion, I tried it two times and I don't get too far in the game mostly because gameplay...I don't know, when I started to find some thief wearing ebony axes and glass armors I thought the game was scrwed, but storyline seems interesting and misterious, but in morrowind the story is very inmersive (just my opinion).

Divine Divinity 1 is a great old Rpg, the story ain't as great as in BG, but the gameplay is imo better so it makes up for it. Only singleplayer though.
I couldn't finished because I screwed my save games but I remember my archer with explosive arrow and poisoning arrow skill was killing everything but I didn't get the main story though

Planescape torment is another Great title by Black Isle studios. Best story of all these games, and gameplay like BG/IwD.
Actually playing but everybody says that planescape torment has one of the best storylines...

blobface

Insider
I was going to start a new thread for this... but this seems too appropriate for me not to post it here instead.

Komuflage

Insider
about oblivion, I tried it two times and I don't get too far in the game mostly because gameplay...I don't know, when I started to find some thief wearing ebony axes and glass armors I thought the game was scrwed, but storyline seems interesting and misterious, but in morrowind the story is very inmersive (just my opinion).
My favorite tes game is Oblivion, the story ain't as good as in Morrowind, the gameplay ain't as good as skyrim, but it's a nice mix of the two. However, u have to download some mods to avoid immersion breakers.
I couldn't finished because I screwed my save games but I remember my archer with explosive arrow and poisoning arrow skill was killing everything but I didn't get the main story though
I always have multiple save files of the same party in these games, so if one file becomes corrupt, you can just restart from a earlier save file. (losing like 5-10min of progress, depending on how often u save) Here I got 4 saves for the same party, so if Alena2 get's corrupted, I can just load Alena1, and lose 6min of progress, if that one get's corrupted as well I load Alena4 and lose a total of 11min of progress. Backups is always a good idea :)

Did u play on normal or hard difficulty? Now I've not completed it yet, but my character never got so op so I could kill everything.
Actually playing but everybody says that planescape torment has one of the best storylines...
Could u rephrase that? :oops:

Scarecrow

Insider
How would you say Divine Divinity 2 compares to Divine Divinity 1? Which one is the better? And do you have any impact on the story in either of the games?

Also, really seems like Fallout 1 and 2 are some pretty good games based on you guys opinions, i think i'll have a go at them

Chrono Trigger is also a game i have heard a lot about, but don't know where i can get my hands on one. Do they sell it like a classic on PS Store or something?

I also like the Witcher 2 story, but for some reason i don't think the actual gameplay and fighting is that enoyable. I'm playing it bits by bits for the story only really.

Komuflage

Insider
How would you say Divine Divinity 2 compares to Divine Divinity 1? Which one is the better? And do you have any impact on the story in either of the games?

Also, really seems like Fallout 1 and 2 are some pretty good games based on you guys opinions, i think i'll have a go at them

Chrono Trigger is also a game i have heard a lot about, but don't know where i can get my hands on one. Do they sell it like a classic on PS Store or something?

I also like the Witcher 2 story, but for some reason i don't think the actual gameplay and fighting is that enoyable. I'm playing it bits by bits for the story only really.
Divinity 1 and divinity 2 are completely different games, one is a isometric "hack'n'slash" RPG, while the other is a 3rd person actionrpg. I prefer Divinity1, since I prefer isometric games, and also I haven't really found any game breaking flaws in it.
Divinity2 is quite cool with it's dragons (U can transform into one) which is quite unique. The story is ok and the gameplay (Except for 2 major flaws) is good. Not the best game ever but worth playing.

You can get all these games at gog.com, (unfortunately they just had their No DRM sale with up to 80% of) it's really the go to if u want older games, and you don't just get the game itself, u also get all kind of downloadable goods, like manuals, artwork, music etc. (Every copy also includes all expansions and is a Limited edition, if it existed for the game) Here's how it looks. I should also mentioned that everything is DRM free :eek:

I agree with u on the witcher part, my first playthrough I didn't mind the combat, but the second time it started to annoy me. It's the auto target, and the leap attacks that annoying, you can't dodge whenever you want, since every attack has such a long animation. It's tedious as hell.

If I can come with another recommendation, get Total Annihilation. It's not an rpg however, it's just he best RTS ever made, saw it was on sale for only 2$/1,6€

Lathspell

Could u rephrase that? :oops:
what I was trying to say is: I'm currently playing planescape torment hehehe and everyone that has played it says that the story is one of the greatest, so while inexile works in tides of numenera I'm playing planescape sorry sometimes my english doesn't work hehehe

Lathspell

Damn! how could I forget legacy of kain series, that's a saga is worth for a novel!! starting from blood omen...till legacy of kain: defiance...hope to see a new title, about how raziel got wings and that stuff. the only game related to the serie that dissapointed me was Blood omen 2 though

Divine Divinty has some game breaking flaws if you're unlucky. The steam version is the best one as far as I'm concerned. Divi ity 2 had a lot of problems when it first got released but the current version (Dragon knight saga/developers cut) is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Really. Pretty good game apart from the intro (yuck).

Parco

This game is old but its been one of my favorite/most played game, star wars jedi outcast 2. the story is ok but the combat as awesome, as you can hit anywhere you want with the lightsaber with some training, and with skills / or lucky if you even is able to hit that good, you can one-shot the last boss, and i think this applies to all the other enemies as well, and they can do so to you as well, making fighs against even the weakest sith a threat.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.