Guard stances.

Syllabear3

Or whatever are called...

So far we got just only one... it would be nice if we could select one from a variety of stances.

Look this one for example for 1 handed sword, it looks amazing

Last edited:

Stekkmen

Whaddya reckon? Would it be like a default stance you select from a character screen, or somehow we'd be able to do it during gameplay?

Fawz

Insider
The devs already talked about looking into having optional alternate stances. It would mostly be to mix things up at the high levels of play for skilled players. It's not a priority though, so I wouldn't expect it for a while.

Syllabear3

Of course it doesnt need to be right now.

You can change your stance any moment, so why not a hotkey to change them? If you need skills to unlock them, i dont know, you could think of something.

I was thinking on something more esthetic, but if it actually can change the way your character react to attacks or blocks it would be awesome aswell.

Vold

Insider
Forget aesthetics, it'd be a waste of time to implement stances if it's just for the look of it. Stances will be a great addition to the game and will open a lot of possibilities for combat. Although, I wouldn't expect them to be implemented for Exanima... maybe for SG. Think on all the work that they'd have to do to implement a different stance... Different stepping, attacks, skills, etc.
I think of the current basic combat animation as a stance.

Syllabear3

Didn't know customization and making your character unique is a waste of time...
And i dont know how with a simple position like having your sword raised (you can do it right now by doubleclicking, but is not like a stance) benefit a quick over head.

Elaxter

Insider
Didn't know customization and making your character unique is a waste of time...
And i dont know how with a simple position like having your sword raised (you can do it right now by doubleclicking, but is not like a stance) benefit a quick over head.
Making your character unique is a waste of time in a singleplayer game.

You seem to have an overall lack of understanding in what this game is trying to achieve.

bobchaos

I never thought I'd say this, but I think Sylla's not wrong on this one. Additional stances might be difficult, and maybe ultimately not worth the time, but it would still be very fun. Think of the good old scotish "enormous sword held over the head" for instance: You can get good head blows in very easy, but parrying would be much more difficult. Best make it a short fight! It would add even more variety to the NPCs you end up facing in the arena (for instance), and a lot more variety in the characters you can make.

As far as mechanics are concerned, I'd see it not so much as a skill but something you acquire independently. Maybe you just pick one at character creation and that's it for that toon, or you get new ones when you raise close combat skills (in addition to the combat skill itself of course). I don't think they should be made so that one is inherently "better" than the other, just more appropriate for your individual fighting style.

I honestly don't think it would be very difficult to code (I of course say that in a purely speculative manner, not being familiar with the code). If you think about it, every weapon class has it's own "stance" as is. Your character doesn't hold and swing a quarterstaff like he does a hammer or like he does a poleaxe. These guys spent 4 YEARS on their engine, I suspect somewhere along the way, it occurred to them to create a system wherein it's not that hard to generate new movements (provided you're familiar with the engine of course).

Anyhow, I'd like to see this happen personally, somewhere between the NPCs, the MP, the replays and the rest of my ridiculous and unrealistic wishlist XD

Syllabear3

Making your character unique is a waste of time in a singleplayer game.

You seem to have an overall lack of understanding in what this game is trying to achieve.
Why there are diferent hairstyles, male/female, diferent types of armor?
Why do you think The elder scrolls saga are so succesful even when skyrim is complete shit?

Hartigan

And i dont know how with a simple position like having your sword raised (...) benefit a quick over head.
It's rather simple, really. You don't need to raise it and then throw the cut. It's already up there, you just bring it down, it's considerably faster.

I believe there was a thread about this already, but I don't remember where. A fellow who practiced kenjutsu suggested adding stances. I remember seeing the chudan and jodan/hasso kamaes too, which roughly translates to the current stance and the overhead stance, respectively

bobchaos

It's rather simple, really. You don't need to raise it and then throw the cut. It's already up there, you just bring it down, it's considerably faster.

*snip*
And if you do a crunch as you bring down the sword you can have enough impact to shatter skulls :D Just, you know, DON'T MISS, cuz then you'll be prone, sword stuck in the ground, right in front of a very annoyed opponent XD

Syllabear3

I believe there was a thread about this already, but I don't remember where. A fellow who practiced kenjutsu suggested adding stances. I remember seeing the chudan and jodan/hasso kamaes too, which roughly translates to the current stance and the overhead stance, respectively
Here i made a really friendly drawing for you to understand ;)

I use mostly two handed sword, is what i most like... i doubleclick constantly to be in that stance (the raised one) without releasing the blow. It will stay with the sword raised, and if i see it fit, i release a quick over head to surprise enemy.
One techniqe that i am using is having my sword raised and staying to a maximum of my sword range. When enemy slash me i move slightly back and release an over head heading forward to regain my sword range. Of course not allways works and is kinda hard and situational, but its a really cool movement.
Would like to show it in a vid but unninstalled fraps (craps).

I understand that this have already discussed, but i dont want to necro a post or looking for it. Thats why i made a new one.

Is not only that, a stance can benefit attack or defense. The default one i think is more defensive.

And if you do a crunch as you bring down the sword you can have enough impact to shatter skulls :D Just, you know, DON'T MISS, cuz then you'll be prone, sword stuck in the ground, right in front of a very annoyed opponent XD
That doenst really happen here if you know how to do it...

Last edited:

bobchaos

Does anyone here think Sylla got the point of either of the posts he quoted? o_O

You should learn to quit while you're ahead, this is one of the VERY FEW threads where you actually have people on your side, don't ruin it for yourself! Just a friendly tip ;)

Syllabear3

Does anyone here think Sylla got the point of either of the posts he quoted? o_O

You should learn to quit while you're ahead, this is one of the VERY FEW threads where you actually have people on your side, don't ruin it for yourself! Just a friendly tip ;)
What are you blabling now?
--

I forgot to say, stance one and two. But i think its understanable.

Vold

Insider
Customization and making character unique is not a waste of time, but creating stances just for show is a waste of time IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I think that stances would be a great addition, but if implemented well. ;)

Hartigan

But Sylla, you just illustrated what I said. I just mentioned the inherent pros and cons of a stance. You were a little unclear in your quoted post, it sounded like you were saying something along the lines of "I don't see any advantages or disavantages to certain stances".

Syllabear3

Customization and making character unique is not a waste of time, but creating stances just for show is a waste of time IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I think that stances would be a great addition, but if implemented well. ;)
A simple pose can make a diference as mentioned above...

But Sylla, you just illustrated what I said. I just mentioned the inherent pros and cons of a stance. You were a little unclear in your quoted post, it sounded like you were saying something along the lines of "I don't see any advantages or disavantages to certain stances".
I showed you that you need to raise it with the default pose, and you waste time doing it so.
The first pose is the default, the second one is the raised sword pose. I forgot to mention that...

Last edited:

Hartigan

A simple pose can make a diference as mentioned above...

I showed you that you need to raise it with the default pose, and you waste time doing it so.
The first pose is the default, the second one is the raised sword pose. I forgot to mention that...
You also failed to realize I was talking about the overhead stance, the one you also addressed to when I quoted you, Sylla. It was a little unclear, even though I mentioned the sword was already in overhead position in this part:

"It's already up there, you just bring it down"

Syllabear3

Maybe i am confusing him with my shitty drawings lol. Plus he is not that smart...

Well here i added actually ig images, first one is normal pose/stance w/e... and the second is doubleclicking constantly to hold up your sword

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.