How can I force the game to save whenever I want?

Sugarette

I sort of like this game, aside from some stupid design choices like Red Bar and the general clunkiness of the movement system.

But I want to save whenever I want, so if I make any stupid decisions or get cheated due to my character flipping out when I walk over a box while fighting, I want to make sure I don't do it again without starting over again.

gugand

The game is really short whenever you are confident with controls and combat system so you can start again and again. You will memorize the map and you move very quickly throught the game.
If you will be able to save anywhere you will lose a part of atmosphere: the fear fot death.

And there are several checkpoints

Sugarette

The game is really short whenever you are confident with controls and combat system so you can start again and again. You will memorize the map and you move very quickly throught the game.
If you will be able to save anywhere you will lose a part of atmosphere: the fear fot death.

And there are several checkpoints
I don't think it'll ruin my immersion or fear. You can save in Amnesia, and it's scary.

El Maco

Insider
so if I make any stupid decisions or get cheated due to my character flipping out when I walk over a box while fighting
The only way to have real consequences for your actions -- stupid or otherwise -- is not to let you travel back in time every time you feel like it. In my opinion this is how every game should be like. Save-at-will is an exploit built-in the game by the devs, and its silly.

I've said it a million times before, Exanima could use more randomization. Permadeath and static content is not a good match, that's why not many games do that. (In fact I can't think of any other popular game.)

You can see/copy/backup/edit your savefile usually on:

C:\Users\########\AppData\Roaming\Exanima\

I am not sure if it is the same on STEAM version. Use it at your own risk.

(thumbs up for EL MACO) Randomization of Content will give players a reason to have hope on the next new character after experiencing permanent death.

gugand

@ElMaco: I can give you an example: prince of persia. Permadeath + static content + short game.
That the same of Exanima.

El Maco

Insider
@ElMaco: I can give you an example: prince of persia. Permadeath + static content + short game.
That the same of Exanima.
Ah, good point. I've been playing games since the 80's and permadeath used to be the norm back then. I guess I meant games that have been released within the last decade or so.

ZaratanCho

Insider
The levels are static but to be fair because of how dynamic the combat is and the weird stuff that can happen with the AI it doesn't get stale. It's not the same as X game. Judge each game on it's own and in it's whole, not some separated elements(permadeath+random/permadeath+static levels etc.).

Course if you play anything a million times it will likely get a bit stale ;d Though after hearing the plans for upcoming content i think you should get a lot of variation in experience(and change things a lot in terms of permadeath). ;d After all we haven't yet touched the main part of the game.

Game is short now but i wonder how long it will take for an average play through from start to finish when all levels are in. I know this may vary greatly, but still.

Sugarette

Well I only want saving because this game isn't that good. Honestly, coming from a New Player, why bother with Exanima when there's Dark Souls?

Physics? Exanima only has clumsy and awkward physics that don't feel real in the slightest and feel like two drunken people brawling by flailing. I hate dying because someone gently tapped my shoulder with a stick, even worse when there's zero saving at all. I don't care if it's realistic, I want to have fun and immerse myself in the world, not die repeatedly and having to start over from scratch.

I've tried again and again to enjoy this game, but unfortunately it's just too frustrating to be fun. Why bother playing at all if you can die because your character's legs got stuck in a box that you couldn't see because there's no brightness option?

That's why I want to make my own saves, as a way to make sure that the game doesn't screw me over. The Checkpoint system isn't even a Checkpoint system, since you only have one Checkpoint. I mean, seriously, what's the point of Checkpoints if it will vanish if you die after you use it?

El Maco

Insider
Well I only want saving because this game isn't that good. Honestly, coming from a New Player, why bother with Exanima when there's Dark Souls?
Dark Souls 3 might be my favorite game of all time. However, that doesn't mean it has the best combat system ever conceived. From software did a good job in optimizing the number of parameters it takes to build a system that is both skill based and accessible at the same time. But still most of the encounters reduce into a pattern of "Kite enemy attack -> block/dodge -> retaliate -> repeat". (Or simply parry+riposte your way to victory.) Bare Mettle's combat system, on the other hand, is free flowing, dynamic, always unpredictable, always interesting. There's so much more depth in it its not even funny.

To me it seems you are having a problem getting on top of the learning curve... To solve that you should probably look up a guide and/or visit the practice arena until it 'clicks'. Exanima is peculiar game in many ways, one of those is that the difficulty curve is kind of backwards. Once you have wrapped your character in steel, and you have a decent grasp of the controls and the combat, it gets a lot easier.

Edit: I quite don't understand what you mean with "vanishing checkpoints". There are four permanent checkpoints in the game that allow you to continue from there, even if you die a million times afterwards.

Edit 2: I saw you commenting your own Steam review by saying "I don't want to practice to have fun. I want to have fun immediately." If this is the case, you probably bought the wrong game and I wasted my time typing this. Oh well.

Last edited:

Homiccus

That's why I want to make my own saves, as a way to make sure that the game doesn't screw me over.
Look up ChildrenofMana's post.

You can see/copy/backup/edit your savefile usually on:

C:\Users\########\AppData\Roaming\Exanima\

I am not sure if it is the same on STEAM version. Use it at your own risk.
It's the same technique one uses to cheat in 'Roguelikes'. Save game -> alt-tab out -> copy the savefile somewhere safe -> alt-tab back into the game -> load -> rinse & repeat.
This way you can create as many save points as you wish and just restore 'safe' ones later on.

Heh, I remember writing a simple .bat file for ADOM when I used to play it to copy my saves in three rolling backups. Those were the days...

Sugarette

Edit: I quite don't understand what you mean with "vanishing checkpoints". There are four permanent checkpoints in the game that allow you to continue from there, even if you die a million times afterwards.
I got up to the first checkpoint and died, and then the game wouldn't let me respawn anymore, not even when using the checkpoint.

Sugarette

Ah, fuck this game. I don't see the point of having to slowly fuck around for an hour to do shitty puzzles and then die because I got stuck in a box, only to have to redo it all again. This is horrible game design and this is a horrible game, which is a shame since it has potential.

Uninstalled, probably forever!

Ah, fuck this game.. This is horrible game design and this is a horrible game.. Uninstalled, probably forever!
For whatever it's worth, I'm very sorry you feel that way. It does have a difficult learning curve, and it does take a lot of time to become comfortable with the various functions and mechanics (both in and out of combat) but a lot of us here enjoy this unique approach, and I've met plenty of helpful and informative individuals in the forums that I'm sure would be more than willing to teach you things if you would let them. Also, as others have said above, there's a plethora of tutorial and demonstration videos you can find on YouTube and elsewhere. It's definitely something new to learn, but it can become very rewarding and satisfying with enough practice. I've logged over fifty hours on the game and I feel like I'm still learning new things every day. It's an interesting experience if you're patient enough to learn something new in my opinion, but if it's too far out of your personal comfort zone then that just can't be helped. Maybe give the game some time, come back and try it again when it's further in development? They're updating it frequently and working on it constantly, so there's still a lot to look forward to! :)

Syllabear3

Ah, fuck this game. I don't see the point of having to slowly fuck around for an hour to do shitty puzzles and then die because I got stuck in a box, only to have to redo it all again. This is horrible game design and this is a horrible game, which is a shame since it has potential.

BB, never come back. Thanks for your $15 dollars.

If you want to play those kind of games go to cry to blizzard and tell them how opressed you are. Dont forget your skirt and make up.

---

Show your e-peens guys

Thanks high testosterone levels, it makes me feel comfortable in challenging games.

Last edited:

MrSharkus

I had almost the same feeling when I first started playing. I would get extremely frustrated in the arena very quickly and it took about ten hours of practise before I finally became somewhat proficient in combat.

My point is, don't force yourself to play it if you're frustrated. Play something else until you feel the itch that only Exanima can scratch. Once you get through that initial barrier you'll find yourself destroying everything in the arena.

I must admit, I still get annoyed from time to time particularly if I'm going up against a round shield + mace/sword/falchion type enemy and they seem to be as nimble as me with only a 1h sword. If I uninstalled it every time I got pissed I would've missed out on this amazing game. For what Exanima does, with its unique style and brutal combat, it's certainly a game not worth missing.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.