I can't be the only one...

Jackm108

Please tell me I'm not the only one with nearly 50 hours on Exanima and still struggling to make it to the portal? I've tried countless times but I've never actually seen the portal with my own eyes. Is anyone else as bad as me or am I the ruling reagent of Exanima scrubs?

zhuliks

Insider
Please tell me I'm not the only one with nearly 50 hours on Exanima and still struggling to make it to the portal? I've tried countless times but I've never actually seen the portal with my own eyes. Is anyone else as bad as me or am I the ruling reagent of Exanima scrubs?
I recommend trying arena and especially practice arena for raising your fighting skill, helped me a lot. Probably normal arena is better as by progressing through it and fishing for items you wont even notice how you'll get better.

Jackm108

I recommend trying arena and especially practice arena for raising your fighting skill, helped me a lot. Probably normal arena is better as by progressing through it and fishing for items you wont even notice how you'll get better.
I can finish the expert practice arena fine, I honestly don't know why I can wipe the floor with these heavily armoured knights yet I get stomped by zombies

zhuliks

Insider
I can finish the expert practice arena fine, I honestly don't know why I can wipe the floor with these heavily armoured knights yet I get stomped by zombies
Zombies dont block or wait for your attack, they just lmb+w so it sets off your usual timing. Plus in practice arena you have all skills enabled, while in story none at the beginning.

Tyon

Do you try and avoid fights as much as you can? It doesn't matter how skilled you are at fighting in the arena, because a lucky hit from a cleaver is guaranteed to mess you up unless you have good armor.

Jackm108

Do you try and avoid fights as much as you can? It doesn't matter how skilled you are at fighting in the arena, because a lucky hit from a cleaver is guaranteed to mess you up unless you have good armor.
I just did a playthrough where I avoided fights as much as possible and made it through the portal, good tip!

It`s already one of my favorite games ever and not even finished :rolleyes: When i started playing the first few enemies (!) were nearly impossible for me, but once you get he hang of it`s a real joy, also the last patches improved the fighting system, so it is not that unforgiving any more. Button mashing get`s you nowhere, you have to concentrate for every encounter, i love this (very similar to demon/dark souls).
Yesterday i started to play the arena mode, and man it`s really great and addicting.

Saetheer

Insider
I just did a playthrough where I avoided fights as much as possible and made it through the portal, good tip!
Good to hear. Exanima is not a kill'em all game. Since death is so punishing as it is, avoiding combat may sometimes be the best.

MindSliver

I find that I fight very differently in the campaign than I do in the arena. In the arena you deal with thinking planning opponents and you have to try and get around or through them. In the campaign the zombies basically don't block at all which totally changes the game. You just have to focus on landing strong interrupt hits. I do this mostly by throwing the hardest attack I can the moment that they start to step into range. It seems counter intuitive but fighting everything is actually useful with this strategy since you can get the drop on them and if you go in expecting to kill everything then they never get the drop on you. I also recommend practicing with overheads and stabs both of which are devastating to unarmored opponents (far more than side to side cuts) and relatively easy to land with a good forward dash. puts most zombies down in 2-3 shots (1-2 with a head shot) which really reduced the chances for them to deal damage. I recommend trying to fight everything you see, with each enemy pick a type of attack such as overheads, and ONLY use overheads on that enemy until their dead. it will up your game a huge amount being able to nail those on command.

I'm alright in combat. certainly not the best out there, but just focusing on strong interrupting attacks keeps me alive without too much difficulty. My latest play through I just finished clearing out level 5 and I still have 3 unused healing salves and I'm at full health. Learn the interrupting hit. it's a winner.

I really struggled with the story mode a few patches ago (before thrusts) despite being able to beat the expert arena. After the thrusts patch and the big reworks to the movement I started a new story game and pretty easily stabbed my way to the portal. The zombies are actually really easy, and even in doorways and tight spaces you can just keep stabbing them with the machete / 1h sword. Wait for their attack, step backwards, lunge forward and kill them in right in the face with the pointy end.
playing a lot of arena is a good way to get good at fighting too.. pugilism is great for thrusts. like if you can win inept fights in arena you can kill the zombies if you're deliberate in your attacks and movement

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.