I'm giving up on the game

Holy.Death

Insider
LOL, the randomness of melee combat was why ranged weaponry in real life was invented in the first place.
Um, no. Ranged weapons served different purposes. You could hit an animal from a distance. You could fire at an enemy from the castle walls. It had nothing to do with "the randomness of melee combat" (which wasn't random at all, unless we talk about people who didn't know how to fight).

Speaking of that, I despise such horribly designed games where you plow through by the method of trial and error. Just brute forcing it.
Actually Dark Souls was far less difficult game than many made it to look like. The first reason was the people went in the wrong direction, trying to take on enemies outside their level range (for example, going into the Catacombs instead of the Undead Burg). The second reason was that once you paid enough attention and were careful game was manageable (to a point of becoming very easy, which is why people who went through Dark Souls 1 thought that Dark Souls 2 was an easier game than Dark Souls 1).

At one point I even got to the guy with big hammer, but then afterwards I couldn't pass the first guy three times in a row.

That's no way to design a game. I guess I'll wait for ranged combat as a last chance for this game.
I think this is a strong point of the game: each enemy can be deadly and thus provide a challenge. Each fight can be different, each can end up differently. If you think you should be able to pass the first enemy after you were able to get through him once, then your approach is wrong. You have to earn that right by defeating him in combat and if you have problems next time you see him, then it's obvious you need to become better at combat.

Elaxter

Insider
I deleted it.

At one point I even got to the guy with big hammer, but then afterwards I couldn't pass the first guy three times in a row.

That's no way to design a game. I guess I'll wait for ranged combat as a last chance for this game.
Get good, plebeian.

About getting good... Today I beat the Novice arena for the first time. It felt awesome. I thought I will get wiped on Expert - nope, got to the final boss on the third try! It didn't take that much time too. I've got 36h on steam clock, and quite a big chunk is for the story mode as I was going rather slowly and drawing my map at the same time.
If you stick to only fighting in the arena, you can probably git gud under 8h.

Speaking of that, I despise such horribly designed games where you plow through by the method of trial and error. Just brute forcing it.
You think Dark Souls involves trial and error? I don't think you know what that term means.

Dark Souls isn't trial and error. Exanima isn't random. This isn't a matter of opinion, you're just wrong about these things.

If the game's not doing it for you, that's fine. It won't appeal to everyone. But don't come into the forum and insult the devs by proclaiming that it's badly designed and suggest it should be like some free to play grindy MMO trash. Exanima is the antithesis of games like that, very deliberately so.

XxBoDxX

Insider
I haven't played dragons nest but I looked it up after I read your OP. How can you compare dragons nest to Exanima? The genre is completely different. There is literally nothing that even comes close to uniting the two games except that you have played them both. Everyone so far has done a great job of defending Exanima. It's a hard game to learn but when you finally break through that first threshold of skill and everything finally clicks, you will have a huge sense of accomplishment.

Seeing what you call a really fun, super skill based game. I can see why Exanima isn't really your cup of tea. It takes a long, long time of getting used to the controls before you can get to where you are good enough to consistently win. I have been playing since the arena combat alpha release and I still make random mistakes that get my character seriously hurt or killed. The trick to this game is much like how you get good at things in real life. Practice and repitition.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.