In-Game Technique

Ketobor

What have you guys learned about martial technique in-game?

I suppose I will start with what I know.

Fast Compact Swings
One-handed weapons and light two handed weapons are capable of fast compact swings, exceeding that which is normal expected of them. To do this, you simply begin a swing in front of your character, then with varying timing, swing the cursor to the back of your character. This is especially potent at short range if you crouch during the slash, creating a sharp point blank hack to the knee.

Complications:
This maneuver can leave you spinning, but it is a controllable spin. Using close range blocking principles you should be fine if you aren't particularly stupid with it.

Greater Lunging and Advanced Movement
As everyone knows, holding down a key leads to a more exaggerated movement. This movement can be even great if a weapon slash carries it a farther distance. For various reasons, A and D are functionally better and this than W or S. That is to say "side to side" motion is superior. Move moving the mouse quickly though, you can twist your body only slightly while making use of this aspect, gaining a more powerful but slightly more reckless lunge.

Likewise, the positioning of your feet matters for being able to move quickly and readily. By paying attention to the cursors location and your orientation, you can make fluid movements that seem unlikely during normal play. These are mostly useful for dodging after a spin-out.

Additionally, crouch can be used at any part of a movement to dampen or cancel it. This leave you slightly more unstable against weapon attacks, but is in theory being used to avoid them anyway.

Finally, sword swings can be canceled and re-started at any point (or nearly) in their swing. Sword swings also carry momentum. This means you can use the momentum of a canceled sword swing to exaggerate your movements if you need to.

Improved Blocking Principles

Blocking is best done close to the handle of the other weapon. This is why attacks from the left are generally harder to block, because your weapon is on your right side, and therefore naturally farther from their grip when you block.

Shields combat this, and are very aggressive in their blocking decisions. This means that you can move -towards- blows with the shield, while angling it towards their hand, and very effectively stop blows, before they come up to speed or not.

Thats all I can think of for the moment, but I will try to write some more later. Some of these things get fairly complicated, and I don't think I could describe timings if I wanted to. There are simply too many factors.

Bobob

A few moves:
Performing a double slash but intentionally missing the first one can get some opponents to open their defenses. Step forward when you start the second slash to hit them. This has helped me a few times against shielded enemies.

I will edit in more later.

Don Kanaille

Insider
Finally, sword swings can be canceled and re-started at any point (or nearly) in their swing.

This can also be used to "feint" an attack: Hold the button for a short time, then let go during wind up. You can almost instantly follow up with an attack from another direction or simply repeat this to hold your weapon strike-ready. Enemies will sometimes fall for this, basically thinking that you are going to commit to a strike which would miss them and then stumple into your delayed, true attack. Especially potent with overheads.

However, beware:
1. Holding your weapon in strike-ready positions leaves you unable to parry, quick enemies might get a hit in if you wait for too long.
2. Later expert arena enemies love feint as well, so watch out. Quite a few times I thought an enemy was going to commit to his strike and miss me, so I stepped in for a counter only to get hit by his delayed, true strike.

You just can't feint effectively I think, not quite sure either. Maybe it has to do with how long it takes to ready your stance after failing to follow through with an attack.

Murf

Here ya go from steam forum

madoc said:
We're currently working to get the close quarters combat skill implemented in the next release. Each skill has several trainable "techniques". One technique which is currently already in the game and granted to all characters is "Fend", this allows abandoning an attack to quickly parry. Another technique we're introducing is "Riposte" which allows quickly launching an attack after a parry. We're also considering a 3rd technique that affects the "strength" of parries rather than timings

Madoc

Project Lead
You can feint and it is a technique that all characters in game currently have. What the Feint technique does is allow you to quickly perform another attack after cancelling a first. Try it, if you let go of LMB during a swing and then press it again you will almost immediately do another attack, so long as the first swing didn't hit.

-Tim-

Insider
You can feint and it is a technique that all characters in game currently have. What the Feint technique does is allow you to quickly perform another attack after cancelling a first. Try it, if you let go of LMB during a swing and then press it again you will almost immediately do another attack, so long as the first swing didn't hit.
If you time this right you can actually do a number of feints in quick succession, it looks awesome. AI might interrupt you violently, though :)

Satorii

A few moves:
Performing a double slash but intentionally missing the first one can get some opponents to open their defenses. Step forward when you start the second slash to hit them. This has helped me a few times against shielded enemies.
This is pretty much my bread and butter move. I always use this on thigh-high boots lady in arena.

Sometimes just being still and letting them come to you works well. At least for me, focusing solely on timing a swing to an opponent's movement and not adding the complicating factor of the character's movement, allows for a more accurate attack. The fights I've won quickly are the ones that involved minimal footwork on my part. It also helps that people lean forward with their heads sticking right out after their attack.

Edit:
Just read that this "technique" will largely be patched and the AI will be better able to defend themselves against it. Yay!...?
"Remised" attacks (2nd attack in 2 hit combo) are currently completely misunderstood by AI, they don't avoid them. It was broken with some recent changes and has been fixed now, the fix will be in a patch within the next couple of days. The AI will properly dodge and parry these attacks. Being able to beat NPCs is not intended. I'm joking. Sort of.
-Madoc, from the thread "Exploit or valid technique"

Makes all these real techniques Kebotor is posting more important to learn.

Last edited:

Ketobor

I suppose I should add.

Polearm Knockdown

The technique for getting knockdowns is actually very simple. It is important to note here that your height and weight are significant advantages for the maneuver, as is hitting the opponent in the back.

Begin attack by clicking and holding on your opponent. Polearms have a relatively high prep-time before any appreciable swinging begins, about half a second. Begin stepping as you swing, and swing your mouse far around in an arch as you begin to swing. Rather than bringing your swing to a creshendo of velocity dealing the most damage, you want to begin stepping to the side just at the peak acceleration of the blow. The blow is effectively using the full weight of your weapon to drag the enemy down, and will be best targeted at about the same location/direction your cursor starting in.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.