In regards to game difficulty

Fawz

Insider
Game difficulty is something every game has to deal with and I feel that most of the time it isn't being done right and treated as something where not too much focus should be put. I figured I would share some of my thoughts on how to properly integrate different difficulty settings in the game.

First of all, selectable difficulty levels should become a thing of the past because they really don't make much sense. If you've never played the game, how can you possibly know which difficulty level will be the most enjoyable for you?

It doesn't mean that there should be no way to tweak it though, as a single difficulty setting usually means the game was designed to be easy to pick up but offer a bit of depth for the hardcore crowd. This tends to not work out so well (The Fable series is a perfect example.)

I think the way to go about difficulty is to introduce it in the game and have be player choice about the game's difficulty be a constant choice from start to end with clear risk/reward. A great example is how Bastion chose to do it. There was no set difficulty levels, but instead over the course of the game you unlocked Shrines you could interact with that would change the way the game worked. They offered a clear risk/reward (ie: Enemies now explode on death but offer 20% more experience or Blocking no longer negates all damage but you gain access to X feature/ability)

It can be very tricky getting difficulty right so most developers want to cover all the bases (Casual and Hardcore players) by offering a long list of difficulties (Easy, Normal, Hard, Insane). At least on PC we can usually make tweaks ourselves to cater the game to our playstyle.

For RPGs difficulty handles a little differently since there is player development where choices are made that shape the character and affect how the game plays out. This means that in the beginning it's much easier to tweak the default game difficulty since everyone's starting point is relatively similar. The general approach has been to start off easy and make the game gradually harder forcing the player to be more concious of the choices he makes with character development. (Not all game's do this though, as Prince of Persia: WW is a good example. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.)

It's already being done with current RPG game design where the player somewhat chooses his own difficulty based on the character development he chooses.
Do you go for the best first ability you can get to make your life easier in the short run, or do you go through a path that starts off not as rewarding but leads to a much more rewarding path later down the line?

People already make choices like these and although it tends to break game difficulty in the long run for experienced players (A good example is the Elder Scrolls games) it's a way for players to tune their own difficulty. Adding an extra layer to that where they have other options separate from character development to manage the risks/rewards based on what they feel capable of doing wouldn't be that far off from current design. Plus, since you introduce it within the game the player is already familiar with the mechanics and has gotten a feel for how well he can perform.

I think that in the beginning it doesn't matter if the difficulty isn't perfect since players are assaulted with new features and difficulty isn't that big of an issue at first. Integrating the choice of difficulty within the game pushes player choice and lets people custom tailor the game to suit their own play style and create the perfect gaming experience.

I know I've been rambling on for a while, but I feel that game difficulty is a crucial aspect of games and one that isn't all that hard to do. It's just hard to do it right.

SRJR

I tend to play games on the hardcore side, often putting arbitrary restrictions on myself if the game isn't challenging enough (for example, I just finished Fry Cry 3 on hard using only explosives. I play GTA4 with a restricted view mod and 4x vehicle damage).

I hate being able to beat a level on my first try, unless I take a battering in the process. Even if I took great pains earlier in the game to prepare (like saving up skill points for future enemy types) when it comes down to the big battle, I don't feel satisfied if it's easy (even though the actual challenge was the effort spent in preparation).

Difficulty-vs-enjoyment is a complicated subject that's unique to everybody, but I do have a few recommendations for hardcore difficulty:

1. Restrict Save/Load. Something that often spoils action-RPGs like Fallout 3 for me (and others I know) is the ability to save right before a fight and re-load right afterward if I lost too much health. Even if we won the fight, there is an urge to try to win it perfectly, if you know it's possible.
Possible solutions would be a timer between saves and/or loads, no loading within a certain time after combat, good ol' fashioned save points/chapters, or my favorite: Autosave, no loading.

2. Restrict Pause. I recently played through System Shock 2 and absolutely loved that the game was still unpaused while you loot, manage inventory or look at the map. Few games are like that, but once I got used to it the game felt much more real, and looting became a thrill.
After all, why would you try to loot a body with a monster charging at you?

3. Restrict the UI. I've found I adjust really well to most games that have the option to turn off display of health, ammo and especially minimaps. In open world games like Grand Theft Auto, when I am trying to learn the streets, the first thing I do is turn off the minimap. That way I end up looking at the scenery and finding landmarks.
Instead of constantly glancing at the health bar during combat, instead you get a "feel" for how much damage you can take, and you stay immersed in the heat of battle.

In conclusion, hardcore difficulty isn't about cranking up enemy health and reducing armor, it's about forcing the player to pay attention, and learn the game.

Fawz

Insider
You bring up some very good points. It's gamer mentality to look at all the tools available and if there's a way to be more efficient usually the player will take that road.

This happens often when, as you said, being able to save/load at any time becomes a source of abuse. The same can be said with broken systems like in skyrim where you craft iron daggers until you have the best armor in the game. Or any of the RPGs with easy minigames that end up being the best source of income.

If you give the player an easy road that isn't as fun, they'll probably take it and enjoy your game less. Sometimes having a lot of options (Such as being able to change monster challenge in the options) will actually take away from the experience.

Tony

Insider
1. Restrict Save/Load.
2. Restrict Pause.
3. Restrict the UI.
In conclusion, hardcore difficulty isn't about cranking up enemy health and reducing armor, it's about forcing the player to pay attention, and learn the game.
Well, good news for you, SRJR. There is no save/load option in the game and there is no active pause. As far as the UI goes I believe they are still designing this part of the game and it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Good points all around. Difficulty should derive from things that make sense but we also want to keep the fun of the game (not ultra-realistic). For a realistic game like this, we want to find the balance between realism and fun because generally the more realistic a game is, the harder it is.

If any of you are interested, this post also has a discussion of difficulty.

http://www.baremettle.com/sg/forums/index.php?threads/how-would-you-define-difficulty.113/

Joe Moore

Insider
Good points all around. Difficulty should derive from things that make sense but we also want to keep the fun of the game (not ultra-realistic). For a realistic game like this, we want to find the balance between realism and fun because generally the more realistic a game is, the harder it is.

If any of you are interested, this post also has a discussion of difficulty.

http://www.baremettle.com/sg/forums/index.php?threads/how-would-you-define-difficulty.113/
One wonders why another thread was started for this same topic. :confused:

One wonders why another thread was started for this same topic. :confused:
One does. I think the initial topics of the two posts were subtly different but there is and will be a lot of overlap. I don't really blame Fawz - the search function for the forum is not stellar.

Fawz

Insider
I did use the search function and found no mention of a difficulty thread. I didn't mean to make a new post about something that had already been started. At least the other thread hasn't been posted in for over 2 weeks...

Joe Moore

Insider
I did use the search function and found no mention of a difficulty thread. I didn't mean to make a new post about something that had already been started. At least the other thread hasn't been posted in for over 2 weeks...
No worries, I'm just being cranky. :)

BigT2themax

Insider
I think perhaps Sui might benefit from having an optional "hardcore" setting, where lots of realism comes into play. Just have things like hunger, thirst, rest, weather, encumberance and such come into play. The finer details of the mechanics of those would probably be best left to another thread. :)

Anyways, the reason I say it should be optional is because there's plenty of people who enjoy gameplay like that (I, for one, would love a harcore setting), but I realise not everyone enjoys it, and they prefer going on adventures without having their character's hunger needs or need to rest nagging at them all the time when they just want to go explore and such.

As for more conventional difficulty, I have no clue how the devs could make the game change difficulty levels to suit a player without just giving them an option at the start of the game. Maybe give them some difficulty options and recommend a difficulty level after the player reaches a certain point? I honestly have no ideas, sorry.

Reactions: Guy
I think perhaps Sui might benefit from having an optional "hardcore" setting, where lots of realism comes into play. Just have things like hunger, thirst, rest, weather, encumberance and such come into play. The finer details of the mechanics of those would probably be best left to another thread. :)
I think the devs already said "no" to hunger and related mechanics, but personally I think an option (or a slider) to adjust this would be great. Probably not a priority right now, though.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.