Knighthood Orders?

Gsprfdude

I'm not sure if anyone has yet said this, but I think it would be great if there could be functional knight orders in Sui Generis. They would work similarly to guilds in most RPGs, you join up (maybe with some type of trial), and complete missions that coincide with the ideals of your order. Naturally as a knight you would be required to uphold your orders code and in some cases a code of chivalry as well. This could obviously put you at odds with other orders. So if your order is dedicated to troll hunting another order that believes in sparing trolls would have some choice words for you. Not following your own order's code could result in punishments like fines, trials, or exile.

Additionally this could be made more fun with the addition of ranks in the orders. Maybe you start out in an order as a squire to another knight and have to be the sidekick in his adventures until an appropriate time. This can lead to a very nice "here we are now" scenario where eventually you are a grandmaster of the order and have many squires of your own.

16iclark

Additionally this could be made more fun with the addition of ranks in the orders. Maybe you start out in an order as a squire to another knight and have to be the sidekick in his adventures until an appropriate time. This can lead to a very nice "here we are now" scenario where eventually you are a grandmaster of the order and have many squires of your own.
I rather like this idea, being our own boss and having our own personal army at our disposal, that would be neat! It'd be cool if we as their superior officer/leader could assign them their own missions and what not :)

I rather like this idea, being our own boss and having our own personal army at our disposal, that would be neat! It'd be cool if we as their superior officer/leader could assign them their own missions and what not :)
Well... every knight order is supposed to do something - like worshipping of the sun god gold, fighting the enemies of king pope everybody-who-paying, saving robbing the smart ladies and killing ugly ones, freeing trading the slaves, healing the wounded and burning everybody-who-doing-that-better... you know - making some special actions (I don't care above upper list - that's just for example).
So if you're your own boss then it supposed that you're best in your knight order's main mission.
Yeah, you could take some recruits as bodyguards but if you do a massacre in town contaminated by plague or witchcraft instead of save men who aren't infected or possessed - then you're getting kicked off from this knight order (of course if that's a some kind of "holy" orders).
If it didn't work - then this is simply a bunch of mercenaries. That's not bad in fact - everybody like mercenaries (who can hire them, mostly).
But if it will be in SG - please, don't forget about dark orders. They're smart indeed. Do you remember Necromongers (Chronicles of Riddick)? They have all attributes of the dark knight order: they're going their Crusade, spreading their doctrine, wiping out the infidels (well, Livonian Brothers of the Sword were the same nice guys).

Scarecrow

Insider
If our PC is a peasant commoner, how could they become a knight, much less join a guild of knights?
Well, who's the say you have to be of noble birth to become a knight in the world of Sui Generis? Maybe some knight orders believe in strength above all, and all that matters is your capability in combat. Maybe you have to acquire personal fame, and you'll be sought out by different orders based on your deeds.

Sui Generis draws inspiration from medieval Europe, but it is in fact a fantasy world. Everything doesn't have to be exactly the way it was then.

Gsprfdude

If our PC is a peasant commoner, how could they become a knight, much less join a guild of knights?
From my stance, some knighthood orders would be more uptight than others in entry. Most would probably require one to complete a dangerous trial or test of arms to prove their worth. The more uptight ones might require some form of nobility. Maybe in service to a local lord you recieve a title of nobility and as such have new prestige. Additionally maybe some sort of reputation could be gained from aiding knights in battle if you happen across one which would give you positive relations with their order.

The idea of working your way up through ranks of any group(s) you join, and reaping the benefits of doing so afterwards sounds absolutely glorious to me. Drunken peasants causing trouble in the tavern? Equip 5 squires with clubs and lead them to beat the shit out of those peasants while you sit back and watch. The devs could really go to town on coming up with missions and what not.

NachoDawg

It's this kind of stuff that makes me wonder how complex the planned AI system is going to be. I mean, ideally they would create some characters with "motivations" and this stuff should play out organically. Like you win favors with some rich lord with knights, and you eventually gain their trust and admiration to command some men and do missions on behalf of the lord.

Though.. I don't think SG is going to be a feudal-simulator. And it's all taking place on an island that probably has some limited amount of people on it, so how many 'orders' can you really fit on an island like SG's? I don't remember how big the island is, but the size of the island describe some realistic limitation on factions and their respective populations

Gsprfdude

It's this kind of stuff that makes me wonder how complex the planned AI system is going to be. I mean, ideally they would create some characters with "motivations" and this stuff should play out organically. Like you win favors with some rich lord with knights, and you eventually gain their trust and admiration to command some men and do missions on behalf of the lord.

Though.. I don't think SG is going to be a feudal-simulator. And it's all taking place on an island that probably has some limited amount of people on it, so how many 'orders' can you really fit on an island like SG's? I don't remember how big the island is, but the size of the island describe some realistic limitation on factions and their respective populations
KNIGHTS ON BOATS

Smola1022

I am a bit intrigued by this idea, but my fear would be that people build up large mobs and never do any of the fighting themselves, resulting in rushing through parts of the game due to a huge numbers advantage. Also, I am sure there would need to added complexity to control your "posse" so that they don't engage in any battles without your orders (unless an incident could result in demoting or booting that npc from your group or something). It'll be interesting to see if anything like this eventually shows up in the game.

A much more feasible scenario might be using thaumaturgy to gain control of a monster (or multiple monsters, depending on skills) to fight for you. Could last until the monster's death or maybe wear off sooner. Guess that will depend on the thaumaturgy mechanics that have yet to be released.

Gsprfdude

I am a bit intrigued by this idea, but my fear would be that people build up large mobs and never do any of the fighting themselves, resulting in rushing through parts of the game due to a huge numbers advantage. Also, I am sure there would need to added complexity to control your "posse" so that they don't engage in any battles without your orders (unless an incident could result in demoting or booting that npc from your group or something). It'll be interesting to see if anything like this eventually shows up in the game.

A much more feasible scenario might be using thaumaturgy to gain control of a monster (or multiple monsters, depending on skills) to fight for you. Could last until the monster's death or maybe wear off sooner. Guess that will depend on the thaumaturgy mechanics that have yet to be released.
Well I didn't really have this in mind for players to be able to gather their own personal armies, I think naturally there should be limits. Maybe increasing your rank doesn't change the quantity of the knights you have with you, but the quality and even then I would only want to limit it to 3 knights max. But some people seem to like the army aspect more so who knows...

Additionally when I mention the trials and missions to enter the orders I would intend for them to be very difficult. To that end if players really did manage to enter an order and rise in the ranks they would already be skilled/equipped well enough to handle most situations on their own. My main point for this was to give plaayers a sense of camaraderie and fellowship among NPCs. Could be used to great effect depending on how much of a personality the NPCs have, especially if you don't want your own friends to die ;)

NachoDawg

Baka-sama wins. SG is designed around a death mechanic. death is permanent, and knights are border-line irreplacable :p

And I think the main reason you are going to survive what is basically the depths of hell is your magic. Ordinary humans won't last long against things like Sir. Armor plate or not

Baka-sama

Knightly orders are all well and good, but what I really want is a good secret society. You know the type, with influential merchants and lords gathered together secretly to plot the future of the land. Perhaps you could join as an agent and carry out missions to influence the fates of the masses, for the benefit of the few council members, or the good of the realm if that's their style...and if you get to be influential enough perhaps you could receive a subtle invitation to join said secret society.

Last edited:
I dunno, I like the idea of having my own little gang of dudes demolishing anything in my way. If they die, oh well, they're pawns, easily replaced. I'm sure if they make the game mod-able, the possibilities can be endless.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.