Living breathing world

Derangle

I have looked through the threads but haven't found my answer, I just wanted to know whether this game will have a real living breathing world full of emotions, sadness and happiness, with animals and weird plants in the wilderness and people - with real lives; in the cities, villages and adventuring/roaming the wilderness like you?

Will there be massive variations of monsters, animals and people not the same over and over again.

I wanted to also know what will be procedural as procedural is best! like procedurally generated underground caverns and catacombs, weapons, environments and enemies?

I think it's safe to say that every NPC in the game will be unique in both appearance & personality. How far BM will go in giving them all lives of their own is undecided it seems.

As for randomization of environments & weapons from one game to the next, this is something i'm also very curious about. As i mentioned in another thread I dont want the location of all the best equipment to be the same in every play through.

comham

Supporter
I was googling recently for a game, any game (that wasn't dwarf fortress, obviously) which featured a living breathing world, and I found Din's Curse, which is quite interesting. Each level is a town sitting on top of a dungeon, quests are randomly generated and can be failed if you just ignore them, usually having some effect or other (item prices going up due to a delivery ambush), but most importantly the monsters in the dungeon are factionalised, and attack each other as you're going through it, and if left unchecked will attack the town and kill the NPCs, including quest givers and shopkeepers.

Unfortunately, its implementation is rather sparse and generic, with the usual diceroll combat, player kills everything in 2 hits-ish, ends up with a ludicrous kill count, magic items absolutely lying about everywhere.

The one thing interesting about it is the fact that the world isn't static; if you just idle around eventually the monsters will invade and kill everyone in the town. Puts a nice bit of a pressure on the player. Hopefully that will find its way into Sui Generis. Kinda wish I'd got the tier that let me see the backers forum now.

Meaghan Ballard

Supporter
I'm definitely excited for a living world in Sui Generis. So many RPG's have a quest line that just waits for you to get to it, even if it is supposed to be something urgent.
"Oh, you need this done right away? Ok, let me just sack some dungeons on the way there and take waaaay longer than I need to, I'm sure I will still get there in time." It's very unrealistic, if you are late getting something done there should be consequences.
I also hope that magical items and weapons will be very rare and hard to get, rather than being held by every other monster you kill. When they are that easy to come by they just don't feel like they are worth the effort of acquiring, since everyone has one.

Kaizer0002

Insider
I played through one town of Din's Curse recently and it was interesting. Everything, including your summons, can gain templates (like summoned skeleton becomes champion skeleton) the way you tend to see minor boss mobs in hack and slash rpgs. A boss that you don't make it to in level 5 of the dungeon will become more powerful and move to a lower level of the dungeon and so on and so forth. It got to the point that I had some level 2 evil mastermind waging a war of dominance on the 11th section of a 13 part dungeon. The town would get attacked by bosses as well and you'd lose people, and you'd also have quests to find replacements or seek revenge. In my game I didn't make it back very quickly and the well was poisoned, so now I have a quest to fix the fact that the well is poisoned. Interesting ideas with a fairly mechanical approach since messages would fly up on my screen telling me these things, but I found it interesting none the less.

Something that is difficult to do, but maybe worth taking the time to accomplish, is to create systems that are general enough that they can interact with each other. Making things this general typically takes a lot more time than the alternative, and can sometimes lead to the scope of the game being impractically large, but if done well the results can be worth it. If the individual components of the game (quests, NPCs, monsters, items, etc) have the ability to interact in a realistic and convincing manner, the entire system (i.e. game world) will be much more interesting, immersive, and believable. This is related to the idea of emergent behaviour. If you connect the game's components together through relatively simple interactions, the impact of the system as a whole can be huge.

I'm not sure if I explained what I meant very well, but I think this idea is very powerful and relevant.

jacky374

Its implementation is rather sparse and generic, with the usual diceroll combat, player kills everything in 2 hits-ish, ends up with a ludicrous kill count, magic items absolutely lying about everywhere.

-----------------------------
We are the pioneers in providing pass4sure and SAP exams with 100% exam pass guarantee. Download our latest Columbia University and examsheets ccna or pass real exam of wikipedia .

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.