LMB for LtR attacks, RMB for RtL attack, mouse config.

Fdel

I know someone must have asked that before, and dev must have a good reason. But i didn find the thread.
I m just curious why the dev dropped this approach?

Right now RMB is useless in combat, which is the pinacle of the game. It could very well be changed to MB4/5 whatever, or simply left on WASD.

This lead me to remember another question.

Why is RMB locked in walking ? Why can t i assign the special attack for example.
BTW for me special attack (thrust) doesnt work for MB4 MB5, special button, keyboard letter allocated to mouse button. Nor left right control (left control work) KB0 or whatever.
This is sad for me cause i use arrows as WASD.
Am i the only one?

assuming i m not the only one, is a more flexible control implementation planned?

Murf

RMB is has a future use. Used to be Thaum, not sure if that's still the case, but it is going to be used.

I have no issue assigning thrust to M4 or M5

Fdel

Well it thrust doesnt work for me in M4 or M5. Although it config itself quite nicely in the config panel, in game it doesnt work.
Does trust require something special (movement) to work?.

I understand RMB will be used but it could be MB4 or 5.

What i am asking is why the approach of:
LBM -> attack LtR
RMB -> attack RtL
center attack -> both buttons for example

wasn t adopted.

I know i m bad at fighting...but each time i try to LtR attack theres a RtL attack first, no matter what.

Murf

Just takes practice to do the LtR properly, you need to have the cursor slightly to the left of the character and them move it to the right. Took me a long time to get it right and I still can't do it 100% of the time.

No special movement for thrust, hold down the key for me its m4 and then attack with lmb and it thrusts.

A way to consistently swing LtR is to watch for your weapon drift to the left, but you character's body hasn't turned yet, then you try to swing.

Fdel

and train.
Is there a combat tutrial with figures / vectors to teach basics about how deliver blows? i m having a hard time with overhead too.
It seem a bit aleatory maybe i m not syncing something right.

Last edited:

Clanf

LBM -> attack LtR
RMB -> attack RtL
center attack -> both buttons for example
this! this would sooo much better than current system
for now even overhead attack executed by player is executed too slow, too clumsy, with not enough power unlike NPCs who do it lightning fast and with full force (and freaking unblockable)
LtR swings is just no, it requires unnecessary chaotic mouse moves, it messes character direction, movement and footwork, and most importantly - it often just don't work
i sorry, but telling what you just should practice it is complete bullshit - it's regular, basic attack, it shouldn't be hard as freaking MK brutality combo, it is just bad implementation of controls
even such simple separation of swings to two buttons completely solves every problem, makes combat (and combat controls) more fluid and natural
hell, just make option for it, so people can chose what system will be more suited for them, it will be much better than spending dozens hour training a basic attack with questionable result in the end...

Fdel

Questionable.
Could you elaborate why this would be questionable?
And how it could be worse than the current system?
Thank you.
Not that i am defending my suggestion with nails and teeth, its just that i like things put in a racional way a bit more than just emotional.

Could you elaborate why this would be questionable?
And how it could be worse than the current system?
Thank you.
Not that i am defending my suggestion with nails and teeth, its just that i like things put in a racional way a bit more than just emotional.
I should've just highlighted just "Sooo much better", sorry for the confusion.
What I'm saying is, the current system works, it's the best, but we also need buttons to use when more advanced combat moves and thatamurgy gets implemented.

Fdel

I agree with you that more buttons will be needed.
As for the system working i agree to a degree.
Right now there s erraticness in certain movements that not tied to the player quality but to mouse and keyboard sensitivity. And LtR having the weapon on the right hand is the weak point here. But maybe this will leave the combat too easy ?
All could be the same, just put an option where left attack is LMB and right attack is RMB. I think the combat would be more enjoyable.
Taumaturgy and the rest...there s always the other buttons..and an entire keyboard.

I agree with you that more buttons will be needed.
As for the system working i agree to a degree.
Right now there s erraticness in certain movements that not tied to the player quality but to mouse and keyboard sensitivity. And LtR having the weapon on the right hand is the weak point here. But maybe this will leave the combat too easy ?
All could be the same, just put an option where left attack is LMB and right attack is RMB. I think the combat would be more enjoyable.
Taumaturgy and the rest...there s always the other buttons..and an entire keyboard.
I suppose having the ability to rebind that would be okay, but how would you rebind it back to normal?

Fdel

Well - the same way its done in any game.
But maybe you thinking about LMB/RMB corresponding to attacks. And only one button to attack.
I suppose this can give some programation trouble.
But maybe a zero/one approach could work.

LMB only is programed as attack = the way it works today
LMB + Another button to attack = LMB left attack, RMB right attact.
If the second "normal" attack button is empty then the game act as today. If not one will act as right attack the other left attack.

For sake of understanding i m using LMB/RMB, but you could give the player to do whatever he wishes.

Nynuc

Insider
Just takes practice to do the LtR properly, you need to have the cursor slightly to the left of the character and them move it to the right. Took me a long time to get it right and I still can't do it 100% of the time.

No special movement for thrust, hold down the key for me its m4 and then attack with lmb and it thrusts.
I've been playing since combat alpha, and I can say that it's not 100 percent reliable. Tiny things can affect the way the swing comes out, and it just makes things too complicated.

Fdel

Thank you this solved the issue i though the special attack worket as LMB just press and the attack will happen...BTW i don t know why it wasn t implemented this way.

MindSliver

I'm surprised so many people have trouble with the LtR shot, it's my go-to and I've never had trouble throwing it. For those of you having difficulty let me explain it.

1. Start with the cursor in front of your character so you're facing straight at your opponent.
2. Where your cursor is now we will call 12 o'clock.
3. Move your cursor to about 9-10 o'clock, it doesn't matter how far from your character model. the rotation is what gets you the power not the length or speed of your cursor movement.
4. you'll notice that your characters head will turn first with your cursor but the body is delayed in actually moving your feet to face it. If you wait until your character turns his feet to start the swing then you are no longer doing a LtR attack because you're starting too late and are now starting the movement from in front of you instead of from the left.
5. SOOooo... you want to do a quick movement, from 12, to 9-10 and click/hold before your character turns to face the cursor and then drag it back around to about 2-3 o'clock and keep it held down until the end of the swing. Focus on small movements, you don't have to drag a long way, but you need to hit the 3 locations in quick succession 12 -> 10 (click/hold) -> 2 o'clock (hold through swing).

I usually set up this shot by standing well back and letting my opponent chase me. when they throw a RtL shot I'll immediately wind up my LtR shot so that when their blow passes by me and they expose their back I land a heavy blow to the right side of their head.

On the topic of the thread I think there may be a difficulty in using mouse buttons to determine the side we swing from. The cursor in Exanima/SG is integral to how the weapon moves/faces. Say you had your cursor off to the right and you hit your right mouse button to start a LtR swing. Well how will that swing interact with the cursor which is now in entirely the wrong position to swing correctly? I suspect that implementing a suggestion like this would require quite a bit of reworking of the combat system and that's IF it's even possible.

It is quite easy, people just always have the "How the hell does this work, it doesn't work ever" times, better to just carry on with the thread, they'll get it eventually. It's like playing Counter Strike. Aiming is a damned challenge to newbies, but to one with some experience, it's not bad.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.