New AI

Parco

@Parco
Kinda missed your post, thus the late reply.
The rules are not the same, the AI has much faster transition between running and attacking than the player. The player has to come to a halt from running before getting ready to swing, unlike the AI. You can't strike the AI even if you catch up as you take a second to get ready and the AI runs off again.
There is a lack of proper counters to fleeing enemies currently, this is why some people are not happy with the game. Implementing more realism shouldn't be at the expense of gameplay.

What I posted on steam earlier:
"The issue isn't about realistic AI, it's about killing the fun of the game. Keeping the game fun is critical to game design.

Future skills may provide more counters to fleeing in the future - add fleeing in the future then."
Youre right, they have faster transition between running and attacking than the player, nice find. i did some testing and found out why that is, somehow they are able to completely stop running and go instantly into combat stance, for a player to be as quick you have to do a turn or something in order to loose the momentum from running so the character can get into the combat stance. so its probably a bug that allows them to cancel out the running mode. its not something thats intended, player and npc's are supposed to play with the same rules so if you find more it would be nice if you report it :)

Last edited:

dustbiter

I've seen a comment by Murf on steam:
"Madoc is already working on having sprint speed be relative to decomposition state and he stated he already made some improvements to the delay between stopping and then being able to attack."

Buggeroo

Insider
All in all, I find the new AI to be a great improvement, the enemy behaviour is more varied, leading to some funny situations. I do agree that it seems a little strange that you are completely incapable of catching a fleeing zombie, but it sounds like they are aware of it, so it will probably be adjusted.

While the enemies on the new level do not seem to flee, I have noticed especially one of them changing his tactics when low on health, switching to a much more defensive style. Stuff like this is just awesome.

TURBOBRUH

I'd have to say I like the new AI in general. Not that it doesnt piss me off at times (had exact same situation with coward zombie in the semi-open area of level 2, chased that fucker for a good couple minutes).
Mainly it fuels my hatred towards those rotting shitheads - they more something runs the more I want to kill it.
But on the other hand it adds alot of depth to combat and, as with alot of features of this game, with proper polish it will shine. And they're working on polishing so its ok.

sounds excellent, new ai has given the undead so much more character and is lending to some really hilarious moments!
I had an incredibly hilarious moment I wish I would've been recording while I played... On level 2 somewhere in a room with large tables and stools scattered about, I had killed a few undead, and had been proceeded to be attacked by another. As I whittled this undead's health away, he turned to flee and then tripped on one of the corpses and as it was getting back up, I landed the only overhead attack to ever land on my opponent, delivering the killing blow! xD

Tony

Insider
Too bad the combat is such a sham, at least until ranged/spells modes..
Too bad you never took the time to learn how to play properly and now you're going around leaving nonsense like this in random threads...

How about giving some constructive feedback if there are things you dislike about the game? Littering threads with derogatory comments that are simply bashing on the game isn't helpful in the least bit. The devs do take into consideration constructive feedback. ;)

Last edited:

dustbiter

I noticed currently when the AI is pursued to what it perceives to be a dead end, the fleeing AI will end fleeing behaviour and engage the player.

Early in level two where there are many archways, the fleeing AI will keep running and again it becomes clear there is no proper way to attack/catch running enemies. I had to resort to timing an attack to catch the AI as it stops briefly when deciding where to turn next.

The player still has no proper way to catch an enemy who flees nonstop. It looks stupid when the faster player runs and presses into the enemy but has to stop to swing. It looks stupid when the AI decides to run and pushes the player along as the AI runs against the player.

I noticed currently when the AI is pursued to what it perceives to be a dead end, the fleeing AI will end fleeing behaviour and engage the player.

Early in level two where there are many archways, the fleeing AI will keep running and again it becomes clear there is no proper way to attack/catch running enemies. I had to resort to timing an attack to catch the AI as it stops briefly when deciding where to turn next.

The player still has no proper way to catch an enemy who flees nonstop. It looks stupid when the faster player runs and presses into the enemy but has to stop to swing. It looks stupid when the AI decides to run and pushes the player along as the AI runs against the player.
I imagine when ranged combat and magic are a thing that will alleviate some of these issues. But I do agree with you. You can't perform a running attack or anything so catching them can be a bitch.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.