New Arena (v 0.6.1.0 Beta)

warmhotself

Insider
Good gracious! As always, huge props to Madoc et al for this continuously amazing and fulfilling project.

Happy new year BM!

carminety

So what weapon does everyone find to be the best to use? or weapon/shield combo? I am adept yet still using the quarterstaff and finding it to be handy but wondering if I should go with a new two hand or 1 hand + shield?

Mati9319

Supporter
So what weapon does everyone find to be the best to use? or weapon/shield combo? I am adept yet still using the quarterstaff and finding it to be handy but wondering if I should go with a new two hand or 1 hand + shield?
I recommend any two-handed blunt weapon. It can do wonders if you're handling it properly... just like every other weapon type in this game. Your quarterstaff should do nicely, although I prefer metal rods, sledgehammers and mauls. Soon, also polehammers ^^

Also, am I the only one who finds full plated enemies of Master tier INCREDIBLY easy? Since certain time, I'm dealing with them using my only one recruit (in order to protect my main character - you know, just in case), who's equipped with some basic rags and a metal rod... and it's ALWAYS so easy. Probably because none of full plated enemies is wielding the dagger :p

Lutz Persn

You don't really know much about broken bones or simple blunt force trauma do you?
No, I don't. Or, well, empirically, yes, but not academically if that is what we mean by knowing. Though I don't see how discussing what I know or not is relevant to the issue?

carminety

I recommend any two-handed blunt weapon. It can do wonders if you're handling it properly... just like every other weapon type in this game. Your quarterstaff should do nicely, although I prefer metal rods, sledgehammers and mauls. Soon, also polehammers ^^

Also, am I the only one who finds full plated enemies of Master tier INCREDIBLY easy? Since certain time, I'm dealing with them using my only one recruit (in order to protect my main character - you know, just in case), who's equipped with some basic rags and a metal rod... and it's ALWAYS so easy. Probably because none of full plated enemies is wielding the dagger :p
Hmm I always felt they were too slow especially against enemies with swords or the 1 handed pick, you dont have enough time to get a hit in before they're on you or are able to block it, or im not skilled enough in them :p

No, I don't. Or, well, empirically, yes, but not academically if that is what we mean by knowing. Though I don't see how discussing what I know or not is relevant to the issue?
Well, simply put, metal hurts. alot. and do more than hurt alot. like break you physically alot. Wooden things, not so much hurt. So, not so dead.

Mowglia

So what weapon does everyone find to be the best to use?
Since you said 'best' I'd say a nice shiny two-handed sword. Good reach, fast and deadly. They're expensive though. Voulge is an evil weapon too, and dirt cheap. Or a decent one-handed sword and shield can also be highly effective. Personally I'd use all of these.

burgzaza

Insider
I like sharp weapons for low ranks, it really works well on low armors, on higher ranks, I prefer blunt weapons. mutch more efficient on armor, as you'll have trouble to hit unarmored parts of the body in expert for example.

Quarterstaffs (both of them) are OP. They're really fast and have a neat range, and their length make them good for blocking

I'm having a hard time changing to any other weapons
The AIs don't seem to be able to use the too well, or atleast they can get them stuck or swing them dis-advantageously sometimes.

Lutz Persn

Well, simply put, metal hurts. alot. and do more than hurt alot. like break you physically alot. Wooden things, not so much hurt. So, not so dead.
Okay, I see your point and I agree with it, but although a dulled metal sword will hurt more (if the material is heavier or the shape more massive), it's not going to kill you either. Well, if you don't get hit in a critical area of your head, but that's possible with a wooden weapon too. Not that I know anything about weapons, but it just seems more logical that you'd use a dulled metal sword in your practice to provide a correct simulation and feel for the weight in using metal swords. Maybe I'm wrong?

Okay, I see your point and I agree with it, but although a dulled metal sword will hurt more (if the material is heavier or the shape more massive), it's not going to kill you either. Well, if you don't get hit in a critical area of your head, but that's possible with a wooden weapon too. Not that I know anything about weapons, but it just seems more logical that you'd use a dulled metal sword in your practice to provide a correct simulation and feel for the weight in using metal swords. Maybe I'm wrong?
*Insert heavy boring sciencey description on inertia, momentum and all that.*

Go play arena mode. Pick up a metal bar or the quarterstaff with the metal bits on the ends. Hit someone with it. and kill them with it. Using a wooden sword with proper dimensions and all that is better and won't kill you as hard as the real thing with "non-lethal" edges. Even if you club someone in the head with a wooden replica sword, it will at most, break skin, give concussion and/or hurt alot. But it won't kill you as much as a blunted metal sword.

KingGsterUK

2 Handed Sword, hands down is my favourite weapon. It's lightning quick and hits hard. I've hardly lost a fight while using it.

For low ranks I use the Metal Bar, It's super quick and if you connect cleanly, you knock your opponent to the ground, which is so satisfying. I also use the Bill, slower than metal bar but does more damage.

Lutz Persn

*Insert heavy boring sciencey description on inertia, momentum and all that.*

Go play arena mode. Pick up a metal bar or the quarterstaff with the metal bits on the ends. Hit someone with it. and kill them with it. Using a wooden sword with proper dimensions and all that is better and won't kill you as hard as the real thing with "non-lethal" edges. Even if you club someone in the head with a wooden replica sword, it will at most, break skin, give concussion and/or hurt alot. But it won't kill you as much as a blunted metal sword.
Certainly, in the game-mechanics it would make much sense, but we are after all talking about practice here, not a fight to the death. I mean, of course, in a real fight the purpose is to kill or disable your opponent, but in practicing you're not actually going to kill them. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of training? Yes, people are going to get hurt, and any weapon you have has the possibility of killing, but again, in practice, you're not actually going to kill your opponent - you're going to simulate it. So why not make the simulation as close to the real deal as possible?

NachoDawg

2 Handed Sword, hands down is my favourite weapon. It's lightning quick and hits hard. I've hardly lost a fight while using it.

For low ranks I use the Metal Bar, It's super quick and if you connect cleanly, you knock your opponent to the ground, which is so satisfying. I also use the Bill, slower than metal bar but does more damage.
I also used the metal bar because it acts like a blunt 2h sword. That was until curiosity got the best of me and i tried the quarter staff, and I just don't see myself going back.

Even if I could pick up a good 2h sword early in an elimination match, I'd still prefer the quarter staff :p
Which is dangerous to the gameplay experience. I bet there's things in the game that I wont experience if I just stick 1 weapon through all the next patches

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.