New Arena (v 0.6.1.0 Beta)

I also used the metal bar because it acts like a blunt 2h sword. That was until curiosity got the best of me and i tried the quarter staff, and I just don't see myself going back.

Even if I could pick up a good 2h sword early in an elimination match, I'd still prefer the quarter staff :p
Which is dangerous to the gameplay experience. I bet there's things in the game that I wont experience if I just stick 1 weapon through all the next patches
Get the iron-shod staff if you get the chance. Best of both worlds!

konggary

This might be worth its own post:

Perhaps one of the insiders would know more... but will there be more personality in the arena? As much as I enjoy the myriad grunts there are, it would be nice to let loose a battlecry as I charge my prey. Even better, a cheer from a crowd when I land a meaty hit or a boo when I strike a foe on the ground. Perhaps the tavern will have drunkards, the arena some knights watching the brawl. Dynamic spectators based on the rank of the match would add a great deal of immersion.

Of course this is all aesthetic, to be implemented much later. I'm just curious.

Well in my honest opinion i find swords to be op. They are the fastest, require least amount of momentum to do any hurtful damage + you can hug with it and it will do damage T:T

I don't know if anyone else feels this but I just wanted it out there ^^

konggary

Well in my honest opinion i find swords to be op. They are the fastest, require least amount of momentum to do any hurtful damage + you can hug with it and it will do damage T:T

I don't know if anyone else feels this but I just wanted it out there ^^
I agree that the slow-drag damage (through armor) feels really cheap

Tony

Insider
I agree that the slow-drag damage (through armor) feels really cheap
If I'm wearing heavy armor and a sword slides across it there is no red damage taken and only a tiny bit of stamina damage. It's like the sword only tickles you. I don't fear swords at all if I'm wearing heavy armor.

Love this update. Not sure if anyone else has mentioned the new (I think?) music, but it's brilliant.

A suggestion for something to add to the arena mode: I would like to see tracking of wins/losses for each character on the management board. You could get really attached to a fighter who's gone undefeated, and heartbroken when they eventually get killed.

Also, it would be useful if the store was sorted by equipment rank. I've got a feel for what's available at each rank now, but it takes a lot of clicking to check requirements.

Also, it would be useful if the store was sorted by equipment rank. I've got a feel for what's available at each rank now, but it takes a lot of clicking to check requirements.
Khm... sorting of items? In medieval fantasy?
IMHO, the best alternative is to sort it by weapon/armor/cloth

NachoDawg

Yes! And frankly, after playing way more than 10 hours of the new arena, I still don't understand the named rank values. A novice? Is that like... a 3? Let me physically go to this poster and click a button and go through a small load screen and count how many times i have to move this slider to remind myself for the n'th time.

I was thinking about how it would be like if the rank number stod right after the rank name. Like "inept (1), Adept (2)" and so on. Then I realized if it was like that then I'd never read the names and just look at the numbers. And that's how I concluded that the names are really superfluous. Numbers would convey everything necessary without having to invoke our memory.

But then, numbers are boring and might ruin the immersive experience. I don't have a neat solution, but clearer labeling of anything rank related would be good.

I get confused by the rank-dots on items too. Is the first rank, inept, 0 dots or 1 dot? I keep having to make manual and tiresom checks every time I deal with the rank system and it's halting the fun :/

Last edited:
I get confused by the rank-dots on items too. Is the first rank, inept, 0 dots or 1 dot? I keep having to make manual and tiresom checks every time I deal with the rank system and it's halting the fun :/
Agreed. IMHO any rank already has enough of limitations - maximum of points on rank, so what's wrong if character could wear anything but equal or less of this maximum?
For example, inept rank has 5 max points, so my character could equip... c'mon, chainmail (but this only "pointed" thing that he could equip).
You wanna him wear only clothes on inept? OK - make max points = 0 on inept, so character could wear only "pointless" things.

konggary

Agreed. IMHO any rank already has enough of limitations - maximum of points on rank, so what's wrong if character could wear anything but equal or less of this maximum?
For example, inept rank has 5 max points, so my character could equip... c'mon, chainmail (but this only "pointed" thing that he could equip).
You wanna him wear only clothes on inept? OK - make max points = 0 on inept, so character could wear only "pointless" things.
Points-only great system from a gameplay point of view, but in some form of a real arena it would be different. One thing I've noticed is the AI occasionally uses a weapon that outranks the match I'm in. Dirty cheaters.

Maybe something like "This match is adept. You may wear up to 8 articles of clothing, including cloth, velvet, and leather. Anyone with chainmail, steel or lamellar will not be permitted to enter." Hard to come up with an excuse for weapon-restrictions though...

Skidus

Inventory. What's going on here. One minute I have cloths and weapons ....... enter arena and they are missing.
I go into manage character and my stuff is in different boxes. Nothing seams to make sense. I should be able to drag and drop my kit either into my inventory, arsenal or drop on to character where I can see I have equipped such items. Fantastic concept and programming but the simple things (item management) are letting it down.
Also when developing a game the developer can fall into a trap and forget how hard a game can be for a complete beginner. I appreciate it is beta but please make introduction to fighting a little gentler. Thanks for a great game

Each rank (Inept, Aspirant, Novice, etc) is treated separately. On the manage screen you select your gear for different rank levels by moving the slider at the top left. You have to make sure you have equipped the gear you want for each level. E.g. if you have gear equipped for Inept level, but not Aspirant level, you won't have it when you enter Aspirant matches.

Any else finding that the store doesn't seem to sell on-level items enough? When I was at Aspirant level I saw a ton of leather greaves (Novice level) for sale, but ever since I got a character to Novice I've seen no leather greaves at all so I can't buy any. Not sure if I've been really unlucky.

Skidus

Hi Eddie.. Thanks for the reply. This has helped me understand the complex inventory system but there are still problems. I have equipped my character in all ranks but when I go back to the outside shop room my boots are missing. This is just an example. Sometimes all clothes are missing but when I look in my inventory they are there but not always ? Some odd intermittent problems remain with the inventory procedure. I hope it can be sorted out before the next "Arena" release. Best Regards Steve

burgzaza

Insider
It's a bit messy if you want to equip the inept rank of your main character, in sutch case, first equip items as usual, but then place new items into the upper inventory, then leave the management screen, open your inventory and equip the items.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.