New trick for your game from an archer god.

Solinarius

Wanted II: Origins
Wanted II: Rise of the Fraternity
Wanted II: Bend the Arrow
Wanted II: 20lb Draw Weight Bowman, a New Level of Stupidity

Last edited:

Syllabear3

Well since i created this thread with good intentions -like the other one- but for some reason people think because i made them its okay to start trolling or spitting nonsense or personal attacking and they go unnoticed, yet i am allways "caught"... i will just explain my idea and go out because we cant have a good discussion without certain people coming to attack.
This is the last idea i will throw.

Slash shouldn't work on armored enemies either, yet they still viable because this is just a game. They shouldnt do the slightest damage, but there they are doing it. The same can be applied to these kind of bow, or crossbows (if they are added). They won't do great damage to armored targets but at least a few pixels.
Playing co-op, tank/archer, it could be useful. They are fast and they can help somehow. Lets get imaginative now, if you manage to land an arrow or bolt to an eye it could be like a critical (or fatal) hit.
This particular shot that i posted in my op could avoid hitting your ally with a simple passive skill point (and there you have yet another passive for your skillset to make your game more interesting).

So if they are not doing much damage to armored or even to flesh exposed targets, why bother adding them? The answer is pretty simple: enchanted/poisoned arrows. We already got an electricity "element" ingame. Landing one of those in a fully metal dressed enemy could be add a pretty interesting effect like shock, or even raw damage if devs please.
Since enchanting/poisoning requires a magician or alchemist, and lets say straight, they are not like bulky guys because they spend more time studying than lifting- they could use the fast and light bows/crossbows to execute such work.
And just thinking about it, effects allways work much better with fast attacks/shots, so even better now using a heavy bow that has good damage to everything.

Well that was my idea. And i already said something alike in an old thread where i posted about Lars.

Have fun trying to add appealing mechanics to your game.

Solinarius

Well since i created this thread with good intentions -like the other one- but for some reason people think because i made them its okay to start trolling or spitting nonsense or personal attacking and they go unnoticed, yet i am allways "caught"...
You dropped a video displaying trick archery and didn't pitch anything of use with it, so I decided to parody it. If you don't understand why, I'm sorry, but no one here attacked or trolled you.

Slash shouldn't work on armored enemies either, yet they still viable because this is just a game. They shouldnt do the slightest damage, but there they are doing it. The same can be applied to these kind of bow, or crossbows (if they are added). They won't do great damage to armored targets but at least a few pixels.
Playing co-op, tank/archer, it could be useful. They are fast and they can help somehow. Lets get imaginative now, if you manage to land an arrow or bolt to an eye it could be like a critical (or fatal) hit.
This particular shot that i posted in my op could avoid hitting your ally with a simple passive skill point (and there you have yet another passive for your skillset to make your game more interesting).

*SNIP*
Games have rules. XA's/SG's rules are set in low fantasy and have a basis in practical medieval warfare and weaponry. I'm all for unique weaponry that has foundations in what already exists in the underworld, but why should it break the rules just because "it's a game". Lars' archery can't be applied to Exanima, regardless of whether 50lb bows and light arrows exist in it.

Syllabear3

Games have rules. XA's/SG's rules are set in low fantasy and have a basis in practical medieval warfare and weaponry. I'm all for unique weaponry that has foundations in what already exists in the underworld, but why should it break the rules just because "it's a game". Lars' archery can't be applied to Exanima, regardless of whether 50lb bows and light arrows exist in it.
If low and high fantasy is your argument, then you should not apply it in here.

You didn't read half my post, your argument is really bland.
We already have elements for this to work, that you didn't see them is not my problem.
---

Yes, i did display a video about "trick" archery.
Does that mean it can't be used in a game? No.
Does it mean it can't be used with stronger bows? No. Even if the arc have a lesser angle it still can be done.

If you have evidence to prove it wrong, go ahead. The "trick" is explained in the vid right away, there is not denying it.
We still have enchanted arrows even if its "imposible" for muh real life game.

ps: seriously avoid using low/mid/high etc. fantasy as argument.

Solinarius

If low and high fantasy is your argument, then you should not apply it in here.

ps: seriously avoid using low/mid/high etc. fantasy as argument.
It's not an argument. This is how it is. The rules for XA/SG are laid out in a low fantasy reality and BME seems to take them very seriously. I'm not an authority on historical archery, but I'll just go ahead and call it: historical archers did not practice bending arrows. Arrows fired from war bows are too heavy and move too fast for stunts like that. It's a very niche stunt, however, since the combat of these games features major physics integrations, if being able to bend arrows is a byproduct of the physics, then that'd actually be pretty neat. I mean, I wouldn't want to see fast arrows making 90° turns, but OK, fine.

You didn't read half my post, your argument is really bland.
We already have elements for this to work, that you didn't see them is not my problem.
Your argument is baseless and senseless. The only element (besides what may be provided by archery's future physics implementations) that exists would be the use of Thaumaturgy's "force" form to manipulate an arrow's trajectory. Now that'd actually be a good idea. Had you mentioned something like that in your original post, you probably would have had positive responses, myself included.

Last edited:

Syllabear3

We already have those elements. there is not much to discuss (with you at least) and no one is looking for your aproval.

Since the helmet enchanted with some poweful magic enough to block mind attacks and making you able to see in the dark, to the lightining mace with special batteries (they seem done with some kind magic or something weird), or the mask with healing properties... etc.
Is not out of place, thanks you.

Seems like you didn't play exanima at all.
You can have a funny game with variety of items and skills, or a boring one with muh real life style. I choose the first one ofc and the second one is sentenced to failure.

Last edited:

Solinarius

We already have those elements. there is not much to discuss (with you at least) and no one is looking for your aproval.

Since the helmet enchanted with some poweful magic enough to block mind attacks and making you able to see in the dark, to the lightining mace with special batteries (they seem done with some kind magic or something weird), or the mask with healing properties... etc.
Is not out of place, thanks you.

Seems like you didn't play exanima at all.
You can have a funny game with variety of items and skills, or a boring one with muh real life style. I choose the first one ofc and the second one is sentenced to failure.
If you could drop the attitude, maybe you'd notice that I changed my mind and agreed with you, just not on your terms.

Last edited:

Midcal9

I'm still very skeptical about the usefulness of archery in this game, mainly because your range will be limited by the size of your screen. I guess it will all boil down to short range, around the corner, poisoned bow battles, lol.

LarzTarzan pew-pew.

Syllabear3

Fire a pair of arrows and switch to melee (depends on bow speed), trying to get a critical hit.

Thats why i named co-op, where a companion could give you vision and agro enemies, at least in dungeons.
If not they would need to bring a skill that make you able to perceive enemies just like in TES, so you have enough time to prepare and fire your bow.

Out of place is what archery would feel in this game, but it can be fun.

If you could drop the attitude, maybe you'd notice that I changed my mind and agreed with you, just not on your terms.
Faster bows is the smarter choice in small areas as you can see in the vid, and dungeons as you see in exanima have not so many open areas.

Last edited:

Midcal9

Faster bows is the smarter choice in small areas as you can see in the vid, and dungeons as you see in exanima have not so many open areas.
Do you expect them to make those "fast" bows capable of penetrating common armour? Also, powerful bows are not slower than lighter bows, not really.

Solinarius

I'm still very skeptical about the usefulness of archery in this game, mainly because your range will be limited by the size of your screen. I guess it will all boil down to short range, around the corner, poisoned bow battles, lol.
LarzTarzan pew-pew.
I was thinking about extra camera control; being able to snap the camera away from your character so you can see further. There could be some modifier for aiming that dynamically pans the view as the cursor moves away from your avatar.

Last edited:

ZaratanCho

Insider
Slash does not work on armor. The damage delivered from sword on plate armor is mostly decided by the weight and impact. Sword acts more like a flat metal pipe vs plate.

Solinarius

Actually, that video proves that weak bows are impractical for armed combat against warriors/soldiers. Like Midcal9 said, heavier bows aren't necessarily slower. It depends on the archer's strength and draw technique, as well as the bow's length. I highly doubt Lars' bows are even 30lb, and most of the time he never fully draws them. Lars could probably slaughter an entire village of defenseless peasants more quickly than other archers, though.

Last edited:
this looks like the sort of thing that would work in games like dwarf fortress, where you'd have to worry about your neck arteries being slashed open to a lucky flimsy shot because there isn't that much protection available.

meanwhile in examina if you were to use this light of a bow while bending the arrows; you have the lore zombies wearing worn out, lightly padded gambesons that can easily deflect these sort of arrow shots by the looks of that video... that and adding on top the type of health system we have which would be like trying to kill someone wearing chainmail in mount and blade with a self bow in itself, forget lars' bow haha and just imagine the skeletons since they are usually missile resistant in a wide variety of other games just by their bare bony selves.

I like Solinarius' take on this though, using thaumaturgy's manipulation to bend the arrows flight pattern, and by arrow I mean an arrow shot from a warbow/(maybe)composite bow, that can probably knock people over and go around/through that armour/steel shield problem in examina's later levels, you know to at least stagger them while they full-speed sprint at you around a slight corner

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.